Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Vin-tin

Default Berts front spring shackles

I'm not here to bash Bert's, or any other vendor. We are very fortunate to have them all. I was just wondering if anyone else on here ordered a set of front spring shackles from Bert's?
The picture in their catalog looks "to me" like they are a pretty good copy of an original, having the forged area where the grease fittings press in.

I need replacements and all of the used originals I've seen are worn out.
Who sells a nice original looking shackle?

This is what Bert's sent me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1639.JPG (164.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1641.JPG (145.6 KB, 206 views)
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
john in illinois

Default Re: Berts front spring shackles

Most of the reproduction forged shackles are very poor quality and unsafe. I use the ones you pictured and they work well.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Bill in SoCal

I'm sure Bert's has good used originals for sale. That would be my first choice. Check with them - you will be glad you did. Good luck, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Most of the reproduction forged shackles are very poor quality and unsafe. I use the ones you pictured and they work well.

John
How unsafe? I have installed new shackles front and back.

Not sure if they are snyders or brattons. Installed 2 years ago.

Fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski View Post
How unsafe? I have installed new shackles front and back.

Not sure if they are snyders or brattons. Installed 2 years ago.

Fredski
Check out Vince's parts hall of shame. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brokenshackles.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Check out Vince's parts hall of shame. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brokenshackles.htm

Bob
That was from 13 years ago... I have not heard of any snapping
And use them myself. Snyder sells USA made also.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Vin-tin

I guess I was surprised that Bert's would even handle "universal" type, or "street rod" type shackles like these.
I was even more surprised that they picture one thing, and send something totally different. Everything else I got from them was fine.
I'll consider Snyder's from now on.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
gweilbaker

I had the ones on Vince's site and I didn't get thru the test drive, bame broke just like Vince's picture. The replacements you have will work fine for driving until you find originals.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Has anyone ever tried to weld the originals, and rework the shackels so as they fit the bushings and reuse them?

I hate to say what I did 30 years ago (so I won't)...but the bottom line is, they are still working with no problems knock on wood.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
wrndln

Steve,
Several years ago here on Fordbarn a fellow posted some picture showing how he made a setup to weld up worn shackles and turn them down on a lathe. He had a right angled lathe cutter to turn down the round part. I sure don't have the equipment and knowledge to do what he did. I have many original shackles that are pretty worn. I guess I will hang on to them even though they would probably never be used.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
SteveB31

Vin Tin,

The shackles we sent you are far better quality then the ones we used to sell that are in the photos in our catalog. As mentioned above , many of those older ones have broken, so we no longer sell them. Nobody has made, for about the last 15 years, a good original looking shackle. When these became available we chose to switch to them,, since they work, and do not break. We have not yet updated that photo, but will in our next catalog. We also have original shackles available , but they will need to be rebuilt in order to use them. You can also send them back anytime and get a full refund, and you can call me anytime to discuss this further if you would like to (800-321-1931). ALL of us Model A'ers WISH that someone would again make an original looking shackle that does not break, but that has not happened for many years, so in my opinion a non original looking one that works well is a better alternative. FYI, Snyders sells both of these shackles- the original looking ones that break and the good ones, like you have.

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
800-321-1931

Last edited by SteveB31; 09-15-2015 at 09:20 PM.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Snyders sells two levels of front and rear shackles quality. One is imported and one is made in the USA. More expensive, but worth the extra price.

I like the USA made ones I bought. Well made.

Email Tom Jordan at Snyders.. He'll tell you the facts about them.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Has anyone ever tried to weld the originals, and rework the shackels so as they fit the bushings and reuse them?

I hate to say what I did 30 years ago (so I won't)...but the bottom line is, they are still working with no problems knock on wood.

Pluck
Steve, I was actually wondering the same thing. I think I might try to fix my originals. I have nothing to lose except time.
I'd be very interested in knowing what you did 30 years ago.
(PM me please)
I wont tell anyone.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Vin Tin,

The shackles we sent you are far better quality then the ones we used to sell that are in the photos in our catalog. As mentioned above , many of those older ones have broken, so we no longer sell them. Nobody has made, for about the last 15 years, a good original looking shackle. When these became available we chose to switch to them,, since they work, and do not break. We have not yet updated that photo, but will in our next catalog. We also have original shackles available , but they will need to be rebuilt in order to use them. You can also send them back anytime and get a full refund, and you can call me anytime to discuss this further if you would like to (800-321-1931). ALL of us Model A'ers WISH that someone would again make an original looking shackle that does not break, but that has not happened for many years, so in my opinion a non original looking one that works well is a better alternative. FYI, Snyders sells both of these shackles- the original looking ones that break and the good ones, like you have.

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
800-321-1931
Steve, thanks for letting me know what's going on in the "shackle world".
I think i'd sooner use ones that works (yours) instead ones that "look" like they'd work.
Either way, thanks for the offer to return them. I think i'll just keep them. I have another coupe I can use them on. That one is going the "not so original" route.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
leakers

Tell all of us, if they lasted 30 years it has to be a better fix than the new ones that break. Lots of repair and restoration stuff we all did 30 years ago might seem a little hokey nowdays, if it has lasted 30 years it has passed the test of time!
leakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Steve, I was actually wondering the same thing. I think I might try to fix my originals. I have nothing to lose except time.
I'd be very interested in knowing what you did 30 years ago.
(PM me please)
I wont tell anyone.
OK...What I did 30 years ago was this...I had some shackels that were wore out. I decided to weld the spots that were worn. Once that was done, I started to hand file each one on the welded areas until the bushing fit on the shackel prongs.

Once that was accomplished, I concentrated on the grease grove and the holes for the grease.

Once this was done, I painted them and put them on my 1929 Standard Coupe...That was 30 years ago and knock on wood I have had no problems since...If I ever do...It is on my back and no one elses.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #17
Rowdy
BANNED

This is one of these tough choices, safe or look correct. I have about 5 sets of originals that are all worn and 2 sets of repops that look close to original and a set as you have pictured. Still undecided as to which I will use. Like everyone else I would like to find a set of NOS or have the skill and machinery to bring the originals back to usable. Rod
Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
wrndln

Since we are discussing shackles, I though I would post a couple of pictures of the "well made" repros that were made in the USA 30 to 50 years ago (an estimate). They aren't made like the original Ford shackles, but not bad. They do have screw-in grease zerks, but threaded adapters to the press-in original style zerks are available at most parts suppliers. I think they were mostly made by a company called Bulldog. Anyway, below are a couple pictures of the Bulldog shackles I have. They show up now and then on eBay. I am almost positive they are forged, not cast like the cruddy black faced ones available at most parts suppliers.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forged repro front shackles front.JPG (36.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Forged repro front shackles side.jpg (48.1 KB, 84 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
OK...What I did 30 years ago was this...I had some shackels that were wore out. I decided to weld the spots that were worn. Once that was done, I started to hand file each one on the welded areas until the bushing fit on the shackel prongs.

Once that was accomplished, I concentrated on the grease grove and the holes for the grease.

Once this was done, I painted them and put them on my 1929 Standard Coupe...That was 30 years ago and knock on wood I have had no problems since...If I ever do...It is on my back and no one elses.

Pluck
Thanks Steve for breaking your code of silence .
I sort of figured that's how you fixed them, and that's how I was thinking of doing it also...minus the hand filing. They make die grinders for that.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover
Thumbs up Re: Berts front spring shackles

Not to hijack the thread, but I just installed a set of rear shackles from Mikes. I hope they hold up OK? We shall see! Don in In.
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote