Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
TonyM

Default 1937 Ford transmission rebuild

On August 4, 2013, my transmission on my 1937 Ford 85hp failed and now I am on foot. The car was stuck in two gears at once. I took off the top and freed it up.

I bought this book and read it completely. I bought these parts from a Ford Barn guy. I stopped buying parts-- I don't have the chops or the tools to do this job correctly, so I need to go pro.

I have managed to scrape up about $1,300 since August 4; how much more do I need for a complete trans rebuild ? The brass syncro bushings are cooked and maybe the syncro too, and who knows what else---I just don't know.

Let's assume a lot of damage for this estimate. How much would I need to get a complete rebuild (Van Pelt's or other pro rebuilder)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8104.jpg (44.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8105.jpg (54.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8101.jpg (56.7 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 09-07-2013 at 12:57 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: 1937 Ford transmission rebuild

get hold of MacVP and see what he charges...heck, probably has a rebuilt for sale.....otherwise, i don't have a clue....good luck.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
TonyM

Since the trans case is original to the car, I will not trade for a rebuild.
I want to rebuild the original case if it is usable.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Terry,OH

Get ahold of Mac. The 37 syncro does not have replacable syncro rings. They are part of the inner syncro hub. They should not fall out or rotate in the hub. Sounds like you have too much money saved, so send the rest to me, immediately, this will eliminate this problem. If the transmission went into two gears at the same time you may want to have the top rebuilt, it sounds as if this problem lies there. Clean everything up and send it to Mac along with the new parts you have bought.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
ford38v8

So again, Van Pelt is the man. You should also upgrade to the '39 innards for your case. Much better tranny. Call him and talk to him. Very knowledgeable guy and will do you right.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
David J

Tony , You already have it's heart and soul NOS and this is really simple stuff . I sent you a PM about this . Also as already noted you have WAAYYY more $'s set aside for this than is needed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Since the trans case is original to the car, I will not trade for a rebuild.
I want to rebuild the original case if it is usable.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Street Rodder magazine had a step by step rebuild (with pictures) article 2 or 3 months ago for a top loader. 32 to 39 basically the same, and you've got the books. Or, as others have stated contact MacV, ship him yours, he will ship it back.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
RKS.PA

Tony, another expert here on the Forum is Charlie/NY. He redid my original '39 and did a bench test before it came back to me.....perfect!!! Not counting the FedEx shipping, I think the cost was about $150.

As others have said here Mac is also an expert and qreat supporter of our hobby. Also, I used to live in Cincinnati so I'm a little partial to those who still do!! Just wanted to give you another option.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Charlie/NY and MacVP...not only do both KNOW these x-missions, they're BOTH "stand-up" humans. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Charlie/NY and MacVP...not only do both KNOW these x-missions, they're BOTH "stand-up" humans. DD
I'll drink to that! Both of these guys do excellent work and are true assets to the hobby.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Frank Miller

What do you not feel confident doing? If you can take the transmission out you have 3/4 of the job done. Do you belong to an the Early Ford V8 Club or a regional group? These transmissions are not rocket science so any competent mechanic should be able to help you out if you have the book. I had never disassembled an overdrive but rebuilt the one in my 49 with just the book. I have some mechanical ability and have been around enough garages to pick up some info but I by no means consider myself a mechanic.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
rheltzel

Definitely take the opportunity to rebuild your '37 transmission with '39 parts. You will not regret it. I just finished rebuilding and installing a '39 in my '35 and the difference between the original transmission and the new one is significant. It shifts way better and is much quieter in first and second gear thanks to its all helical-cut gears. The syncros are vastly better, even allowing for the fact that I used all new parts and the old tranny was shot. I got all my parts from Mac Van Pelt. Excellent quality parts and superior service. I highly recommend him.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
ken ct
BANNED

I'll second that drink,only coffee though Mac or Charlie are equally qualified and both are stand up guys here on the barn.The best you will ever find. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
TonyM

Thanks all for the responses and the confidence in my ability. With the guidance of many good FordBarn people I have done all of my own work on this car and have brought it back to life. Yep, nothing is more satisfying than doing the work yourself. Instead of watching football, I spent the afternoon re-reading portions of the Van Pelt book. I won't bore you guys with the details of the several practical difficulties I am presently facing, but with those difficulties in mind it is clear to me that at this time a pro rebuild is the right choice for me. I am still not any closer to learning what kind of cost I am looking at. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
RKS.PA

Tony, Frank Miller hit the nail on the head, the hardest part is getting the trans out of the car. Don't know if you have any serious engine work planned, but if you do, now is the time to pull the transmission out with the block. Otherwise, it's pulling it out the rear once you've dropped the differential etc. Also a good time to work on that end.

Good luck, you won't be sorry once it's all back together....very satisfying whether you do it all or farm out the rebuild!!!

Dick.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
RKS.PA

Should have said this in above post. To get a budget estimate, call either Mac or Charlie and ask what it will cost to do a complete redo assuming all your '37 parts are replaced with '39. My $150 cost with Charlie started with a '39 and he sent the "bad" parts back to me so I'd see what was replaced. Don't think it was as serious as yours but I think you have way more set aside for this than it will wind up costing....hopefully!!!

Dick.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
TonyM

Trans is out. Had a few problems but all were over come and now ready for crating and eventually shipping to MacVP.

Brake cable Clevis Pins were installed incorrectly, making the removal of the left one very difficult. The left rear pin at the brake cross shaft was installed in such a fashion that the head was facing the drive tube and there was no clearance to remove it from the clevis.

Checking the drawings I was able to determine that the pin was supposed to be installed with head facing to the left (the right clevis pin was not orientated correctly either).

The guy who worked on this car over 50 years ago had installed the left rear brake clevis pin and cable at the cross shaft while the torque tube was off and then installed the torque tube, and then he connected the left rear brake cable to the wheel/backing plate. That can be the only explanation; there is NO way he could have got that pin into the clevis with the tube in place. We jacked up the engine and moved the torque tube to the right slightly and were able to free it.

No hook was necessary, I was able to muscle the trans right out the top simply by grasping it with both hands and pulling it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8359.jpg (85.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8363.jpg (80.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8362.jpg (63.4 KB, 194 views)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

Tony, I am sure cost is a factor for you on this job, but now is the time to consider resurfacing the flywheel and putting in a new/rebuilt clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing. A Fort Wayne rebuild will be as good as new. IMHO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Redhorse1947

I believe you will be very pleased with a Mac VanPelt rebuild. No doubt you will include the shifter housing (top cover) with your shipment. Having him check the wear of the plunger, replacing two springs, etc (controls being in two gears at once) inside the openings of the housing will also assure that you have a reliable transmission for all those miles to come.
Redhorse1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
36-5window
BANNED

If it stuck in two gears at once it needs the SFIFTER fixed.nothing wrong with the gears. all you had to do isd take the top of the trans off and fix the forks, shift rails, plunger spring and ball. Put a couple washers behind the plunger spring to make sure it stays in gear. Just My Humble Opinion!!