Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
Vic Piano

Default Re: Did you find your car or did it find you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Time to move out to the country...... need more room for cars.....
I told my wife that I wouldn't buy any more "toys" until we finish building our house... Good thing is that's not too far off. I'm going to start looking for a Ford 8N Tractor, need something fun to ride while I'm mowing the lawn...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #42
David J

Talking Re: Did you find your car or did it find you

Excellent theory and I followed it but the snafu with a backyard that is 1 1/4 miles deep and 3/4 of a mile wide 45 miles from MPLS/St Paul is the taxes eat most of the budget you would buy additional cars with . Pics are looking north from the south end . 33 4d found me and the coupe came from Fordbarn late last fall . Anyway I agree Vic has a good supply of big boyz toyz . David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Time to move out to the country...... need more room for cars.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1703.jpg (79.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2576.jpg (84.2 KB, 43 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #43
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Excellent theory and I followed it but the snafu with a backyard that is 1 1/4 miles deep and 3/4 of a mile wide 45 miles from MPLS/St Paul is the taxes eat most of the budget you would buy additional cars with . Pics are looking north from the south end . 33 4d found me and the coupe came from Fordbarn late last fall . Anyway I agree Vic has a good supply of big boyz toyz . David J
David, I've got enough to keep me busy for a long, long time. I told my wife that I'll have to live to be 150 years old in order to finish them all... Vic
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #44
David J

Vic , Nice cars & playpen . I can't think of a better " fountain of youth " than messin with your toyz Bet the canvas suppliers like you . David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
David, I've got enough to keep me busy for a long, long time. I told my wife that I'll have to live to be 150 years old in order to finish them all... Vic
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #45
ken1939

Well lets see. I think only one of the "projects" I got last year qualifies as finds me.

My 39 Chevy Coupe was being brought home by my late friend down the street. It was a body and frame basically. Some arm twisting later it was in my garage, and I have had the car for 25 years.

I purchased two Chevys from Kaplan in Argentia, a 31 Landau Phaeton which I am actually keeping stock, and am finishing the convertible top today on it. I have had it for 10 years. I also got a 33 Chevy Standard 3 Window from him in storage.

Saw remnants of a 32 Ford Ute on ebay. No one budged, so I contacted the seller. 4 weeks later, I have a crate sitting in my driveway with body parts. 3 years later I finished the Ute.

Last year I had someone contact me on the Hamb. I had replied to a post about the rarest 32's, and what order you would rank them. I posted the Ute, Phaeton, Roadster, 3 window etc. I get a PM about a Phaeton Body for sale. It happens to be an Aussie Phaeton as well. So after much consternation and collection of money, I have the Phaeton body.

I think its safe to say this last one found me. Meaning someone out of the blue said, Hey you want this?

After I sell the 31 Landau Phaeton, its off to pick up a 32 Roadster, if all goes well, its not a large basket case, but one that doesnt scare me. I get that and a 3 window and my collection of deuces is over lol.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #46
oldskool

i was surfing on craigs list and found a 46 ford pu bone stock original a few miles away the truck came from colorado and was rust free the guy was going to restore it but it never happened,it is now restored and the original flathead runs like a top
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #47
OldFordGuy

I sold my '34 Tudor in 2000 for business expenses. I said to myself, if I ever get another streetrod, it's gonna be a '32 coupe...I stopped buying Hemmings and going to major car shows..fast foward 4 years.....now married, my wife subscribes to Hemmings without telling me and the first edition I get is the one with COLOR photos in it (still have it)..as I browse through it, I see a '32 5 Window that was to be auctioned by the government in a few weeks...they confiscated it for non-payment of taxes. I went to preview the car and 2 days later, I won the auction...there was a backround check to make sure I didn't know the previous owner(still looking for that person from the Boston area I was told)...still have the car and enjoy telling the story!
OldFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #48
sp1ke

I must say mine found me and I am sure clad it did!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #49
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Vic , Nice cars & playpen . I can't think of a better " fountain of youth " than messin with your toyz Bet the canvas suppliers like you . David J

Yup, tops, like most everything else for these cars, can get expensive. I guess it's the price you pay if you want to play. I love convertibles.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #50
jim1932

This was a cool thread so I am going to bump it back up to invite others to post
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #51

The cars I still have;

1937 Tudor 60 hp Std, all original, never restored, belonged to my one arm, gold panning uncle, who sold it to my dad, who sold it to me ~ 1986

1938 Coupe, 85 hp Std, found it in Hemmings Jan. 2002.

1969 Big Bad Blue 390 4sp AMX (Rare Factory color, factory painted bumpers, one of only 196) 425 ft lbs torque stock, restored, ex show car. Found/bought from a fellow AMC Club member in 1986.

My first car, a 70 Camaro, I found it in Reno, bought it in 1972 when I was 16.

My 72 El Camino, found at an auto auction back ~ 1982.

74 AMC Hornet hatchback found me in 2007 to restify for my youngest daughter. (Looks like the Trans Am Red Hornet used in the spiral jump over the river in the James Bond Movie, "Man with the Golden Gun"). Each year our local paper used to list the contact info for all the local car clubs. I am the manager of an AMC and AMX car club. Through the years, owners of AMC cars would clip out that newspaper clipping with my contact info for the car club and put it in their glovebox. Later when they wanted to get rid of their car, they would contact me. I have received more than my fair share of original owner, free and $1.00 cars from these clippings in those glove boxes.

Found both of our wantabe 37 tudor lookalike 2001 and 2009 PT Cruisers.
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #52
bdridge

Looking for a Model A in 1999,heard of a widow selling husbands collection of 12 cars. Called the lady before making the trip, only to find out all but 2 cars had been sold. All that remained was 1 Model A and a 37 Coupe. She told me that she had the vehicles appraised, gave me the values, and not to bother making the trip unless I was prepared to spend exactly that much, not a penny less. Made the trip and purchased the 37. Wound up duplicating a car that I first saw at twelve years old when delivering my paper route. I guess you could say the car found me. Best thing I ever did.Picture[1].jpg
bdridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #53
GeoMaher

I went lookling for an 'old Ford' and found it in a farmer's junkyard. It took a lot of work, but I was single and had plenty of time. Now, I wouldn't trade it for anything! I sure love that old ford, my 1934 Ford Pickup - it's a gem!!
GeoMaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #54
SP_51-F1

The Merc found me. Why else would a truck from Alberta Canada be advertised in the Dallas paper? It wanted to be with me, or just out of the cold!
SP_51-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #55
John S

Well, out of the three we have now, the '68 Mustang found us, our '29 coupe I found and the '28 roadster was a kind of deal were we found it and it found us at the same time.
The Mustang is a nice original coupe that was owned by an old friend of mine, Jimmy Maykus. Jimmy had bought the car in '84 from the original owner with only 83,000 miles and had owned it for 20 years. Called me up out of the blue one day and wanted to sell, but I wasn't in the market for another Mustang. He called back a few weeks later and even though I didn't want the car, he "talked" us into it. My wife wanted it. One of those deals you can't refuse. The car still only has a little over 100,000 miles and the original "J" code 302 right down to the original carb. After some of the bugs from setting up were worked out it has been a great driver and has gone on a couple of long trips.
I found the '29 coupe that's in my avatar on FleaBay. I was looking for an A and saw this one in Denver. The seller was asking more than it was worth to me so I passed. When it didn't sell I contacted the seller, went out to Denver, made a deal and brought it home. It's a good solid rust free old car and we have a blast with it. I guess we have put almost 10,000 miles on it and it ain't left us walking yet.
Our '28 roadster I found by accident. I was looking at our club website ads and it was listed there. I had wanted a roadster and this one was in the neighborhood so I went to look at it. Long story short, it was restored in the '60s and was being re-restored and apart when the owner passed away. I made a deal and brought it home. It's still not done, but there are fewer parts on the shelf and more on the car and the car will drive now, so I'm heading in the right direction.

Last edited by John S; 07-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #56
phartman

The '34 found me.

I had sold my Mustang and wanted something older. Immediately found a bone-stock '53 F100 that had spent its whole life near where I live. Bought it from the 2nd owner. Got it home and had buyer's remorse. It was too much like the '56 that was previously in the drive. OK, though, since a buddy bought if from me 2 days later- he just had to have it.

Had a little more money in my pocket. Made $1000 profit on that deal.

Went to Charlotte to look at a Model A Coupe. But there was the '34 pickup in his driveway, not really for sale, but he was willing to part with it. Much, much more expense and bigger project, but hey, when you fall in love, it isn't about using your head. Fell for the little pickup, hard.

So there you go. Be careful when you're out looking at cars, I suppose, is the advice. You might fall in love.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #57
jim1932

Kinda funny, once mine "found me" I started looking around. Not that I will ever get rid of the Tudor, but they sure seem more fun than investing in the market....probably a little more stable.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #58
Daves55Sedan

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's I loved cars. My favorites were: 1940 Ford delux sedan, 1946 Desoto, 1952 Lincoln Cosmopolitan and 1955 Ford fairlane.
At age 16 I had saved enough money to buy a cheap car and insurance so I went looking for my '55 Ford. Still drive it. Did body-off-frame resto in '84. In '96 I bought a shell of a '55 Ford Courier sedan delivery. There was nothing left of it but the main body, frame & front suspension. I went looking for a 223 I block 6 and Ford-o-matic. I found them in different places. I had to settle for a wrecked doghouse with no fenders off a '55 car so I bought fiberglass front fenders and had to get two hoods to make one good one. It took a while to find a gas tank. I used a '57 rear end and put a 3.25:1 posi in it. The wheels are getting so scarce to get good ones I had to go several places to get them. I still have it too, but it mainly just takes up space in the garage.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #59
harry goebel

Actually I found the license plate first, a 1953 Florida plate. One year later I found a 53 Meteor Victoria on E-Bay and made a deal with the owner before it went thru the Action. I drove it for 5 years till a valve seat came loose. Hopefully the motor will be going back in the car this Thursday Aug the 18th. While I had it out replaced the valves, valve seat and springs. Had the cam reground by Schneider and resurfaced the the lifters. Re placed the rings, and converted the motor to the full flow oil system.
harry goebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #60
jim1932

Any new stories?