Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Old Fordbarner on American Pickers.

Last night on American Pickers an old Fordbarner was featured.By old I mean he was kinda a regular on the old Fordbarn and I wondered why never seen his name here,went by Bovar. The show had a Nascar Hall of Fame hunt /theme and they ended up in Denton North Carolina where Billy Biscoe (Bovar )lives. I think the Earnhardts originated here. He has Ralph Earnhardts 37 coupe he raced.This show looked like it was taped last fall so I hope he is okay now. He was one of the first to help me with some head gasket problems when I was building a 59AB and heard about Fordbarn,this was 6 years ago or so. I had sold and shipped him an 8BA block couple years before that.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: Old Fordbarner on American Pickers.

Yeah, I was disappointed when he stalled out the flatmotor. It was a neat show, otherwise. Kind of surprised that some things were not just donated to the museum. If I had something that was historically significant, I would be proud to have it in a museum with a credit plaque attached citing that I donated it.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Hugh in NC

I met Bovar a few years ago thru the old Fordbarn. I had a problem with a head and he offered a replacement and was even going to deliver it to my hometown of Rockingham on his way to Myrtle Beach. The weather didn't cooperate that weekend so he did not make the trip. I drove up to his place later and picked up the head. He is a great guy and had loads of stuff, looks like he still does from the Pickers show. He is a credit to the Fordbarn and old car guys in general. It was great to see him on TV.
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
37 Coupe

I think the whole premise of the show last night was to get the Nascar Hall of Fame a round of exposure. Supposedly the curator of the museum contacts two guys from Iowa to find stock car racing artifacts for display, two guys who never heard of Humpy Wheeler's name before. Mayby foot traffic has slowed down at museum ,probably a lot more this summer's gas prices.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
sp1ke

Knowing "HUMPY" I would not be surprised if the whole thing was staged to get NASCAR and the new MUSEUM as well as pickers more attention.

sp1ke
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

if the "Humpster" was involed somewhere there were school buses jumping over, old cars, thru a hoop of fire--he did put on some good shows!!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
oldandtired

Bovar sets up next to me at the Mountaineer Antique Auto Club Meet in Fletcher, NC. The meet is July 4 weekend each year. The meet that was at Maggie Valley for years. He is funny, smart, and good company. He also brings a lot of flathead parts to the meet as well as a variety of other neat stuff.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
HOTROD_WILLIE

Try to remenber the time that you found out that Sante is not real. Rewatch the show w/ the mind set. Someone close to the show told me that things is not as the seem. Sorry for the bad news.
HOTROD_WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
HOTROD_WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1ke View Post
Knowing "HUMPY" I would not be surprised if the whole thing was staged to get NASCAR and the new MUSEUM as well as pickers more attention.

sp1ke
The Humpy one look very staged. I $5000.00 box in an atic. Where was the junk? Why did they go to Humpy house? Santa or Easter Bunny is not real.

Last edited by HOTROD_WILLIE; 04-15-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
36tbird

You know, there is something about your location, "Brown Summit", that fits into this.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Frank Miller

Just think for one minute. You'rehaggling over parts at a flea market. Now picture the same thing with a film crew behind you and someone toucing up your makeup. I think the seller might react a little differently. I left out the actually going to his house. But I think you all get the idea.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
Hoop

Half the dialog of the show would be gone if they took out "like", "totally" and "cool."

They sound like high school girls talking.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
raceron1120

Entertainment value was for 'drive-by' NASCAR fans. Mike and Frank were out of their element and as said here earlier, it appears the intent of the show was to focus on the Hall of Fame (I've heard attendance there has fallen short of expectations).

Humpy's stuff sure looked staged too; I bet he's got many things salted away, lots more than was shown.

The other shops appear to be more like some I've seen, kinda like some of Junior's buildings when he was still over in Ingle Hollow, and at ARCA legend Jack Bowsher's place in Ohio, with buildings full of racing history.

But it was good to see some of the guys like Biscoe and Pistone, and for them to let some old-time NASCAR stuff go for display.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
36tbird

Whenever I think that I am becoming too cynical in my old age, I only need to review this thread.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
32Gnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Yeah, you have to watch the show for entertainment only.

A good friend who lives in Texas and collects and sells petroliana (gas pumps, signs, globes, etc.) and has written several books on the subject laughs at the show. He calls it 'American Nose Pickers' and seldom bothers to turn it on.

The older I get the more I realize that just about EVERYthing on TV is to promote somebody's crap so they and their buddies can suck money out of the rest of us, so they don't have to work and earn a living. The Beautiful People. (Hate that term)

Hollywood and their ilk are nothing more than attention whores.

The funny thing is that it appears to be working.. I have seen a few episodes of the show.
When I was at the autofair in Charlotte the vendors that were doing the best were the people selling old signs.. People are gobbling this stuff up. Guys with piles of hundreds for old signs.. I love the old gas station stuff too, I was raised in gas stations, But these shows will make the nice stuff far out of my reach. More power too em.. I will stick to finding my own stuff covered in Kudzu, not in an aisle in a car show..
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
HOTROD_WILLIE

Not Real:
Santa Claus
Easter Bunny
Supperman
Mickey Mouse
Pamela Anderson
American Nose Pickers
Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
TomT/Williamsburg

I met Bovar at the 2010 Charlotte Auto Fair - nicest guy you're ever going to meet. He started pulling all kinds of stuff out of his vehicle to show me that he had for sale - I did buy a couple things but was not really "flush" at the time to buy anythng more as he did have some pretty cool stuff.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Jason in TX

It was great getting to see those old race cars out in the light!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote