Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

Default leaky gas cap

I'm getting the '34 ready for inspection and I have a problem with the gas cap. Doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank there's always a leak from the cap. I made a seal from an old inner tube but that didn't help, then I made one from cork and it's just as bad. I thought maybe the vent was blocked, (the one on top of the tank), so I blew air through it and it seems ok.
Should I just buy a repro cap or is there a way to make a proper seal on the old one?
Thanks, Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: leaky gas cap

That is common on 34's. I have some good original caps that I have polished up for show. $40.00 plus the ride if interested. Lawson (Does your cap sit tight on the neck when tightened?

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Talkwrench

I'm sure I lose more fuel than I use in my 35 pickup.. my style of driving doesn't help ; )
Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #4

Thanks Lawson and Talkwrench, I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. I don't think I'll waste any more time trying to make a seal- I'll just get a new cap.
Doug.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
Lawrie

I had the same problem on my 33 ,always leaking,but my 34 never, looked closely at the caps ,the 33 was vented and the 34 was NON vented,sacramento vin ford were the only place I could get the non vented,that solved the leaks,
lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Talkwrench

That's handy to know Lawrie..
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Tim Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I had the same problem on my 33 ,always leaking,but my 34 never, looked closely at the caps ,the 33 was vented and the 34 was NON vented,sacramento vin ford were the only place I could get the non vented,that solved the leaks,
lawrie
Sacramento Vintage Ford sells 2 caps. Buy the more expensive one if you dont want it to leak. I learned this the hard way...

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #8

Still having this issue with the gas cap leak. I phoned the guy who I buy most of my parts from to order a new one and he told me it probably wouldn't help much. He said it's a chronic problem with '34s so I didn't end up ordering the new one. I have about 6 old caps and I've tried them all and they all leak, (all non-vented caps). I can put up with a little gas leak but don't want to show up for the inspection with gas all over the fender! Thanks to all who commented earlier and if anyone else has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Doug.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
Dave Slater

I tried a Vintique cap and it leaked, I tried all kind of ways to seal the cap with neoprene & cork and it leaked. Then I purchased a Bob Drake cap and it leaked. So I araldyted up the Bob Drake cap little vent hole and around the rivet. No Leak! 32 33's and 34's don't require the vented cap as there is a vent at the top of the petrol outlet located at the top of the tank.
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
koates

I use the reproduction type cap that has the V8 impressed in it on my 34 sedan. Not quite original but looks nice. Drake and Macs sell them for around $20.00. It does not leak even with a full tank. All the others (4 or 5 types) including locking caps I have used have leaked to some extent. Making gaskets to fit under the caps is sometimes required to make them a tight fit. I find plain rubber sheet is best and not neoprene or cork or gasket type fibre. And as Dave has said you have to make sure the cap is NOT VENTED and if it is then seal it up with epoxy glue. Yep it is a trial and error thing on 33-34 fuel caps. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
petehoovie

[QUOTE=koates;1462305]I use the reproduction type cap that has the V8 impressed in it on my 34 sedan. Not quite original but looks nice. Drake and Macs sell them for around $20.00. It does not leak even with a full tank.]

Like koates, I purchased a V8 logo reproduction cap for my '34 Sedan from Bob Drake and it does not leak. It's a good looking cap as well....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #12

Thanks guys, I'll try one from Macs.
Doug.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
my4dv8

We used to cover the cap and filler neck on our 32 with a short length of motor cycle inner tube to slow the leak, ugly ,yes. Then we changed to a cap with the V8 embossed in it , never leaked again. As petehoovie and koates said above .
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote