Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
flexiheep

Default Salvage title perception question

Ok, long story short, my A was hit by a drunk driver (charges for DWI and wreckless driving on him), I am now past the repair cost and on to the total loss dept of his insurance company. We are pretty close on value for the car I believe, but due to NM law I will end up with a salvage stamped title in the end. I don't plan to sell the car (been in the family for 50 years, drove my dad around in it before he passed, drove my wife to the hospital when my son was born, kids are really attached to it, etc)but my wife and I are wondering what kind of stigma a salvage title has on a car like an A?

My wife thinks about modern cars where salvage is bad, I think that since a properly restored A gets pulled down to the frame in order to do a good job a salvage title doesn't mean much on an 80 year old car.....

It is mainly a perception issue, my wife knows that the car will be fixed and damage will be erased, but the title will be always show the damage from the idiot who hit us.

In the end it doesn't matter, a stamp on the title doesn't change the smile as you drive, but it is nice to hear from others some times.

Thanks in advance.