Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Vin-tin

Default 1930-31 Pickup roof questions

I have a couple of questions.
The areas in the roof panels and cab back where the hidem strip nails to isn't in line with each other. They're a 1/4" off. Is this critical? The only thing I can think of that might help is to bevel the upper rear area of the wooden cross member. Have any other ideas?

Also, my front header cover doesn't cover the header completely. Is this normal? If not, I'd have to shave off about 3/8" of wood. This seems excessive plus I'm afraid my visor wont fit then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1936 (1).JPG (123.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1934 (1).JPG (136.6 KB, 93 views)
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: 1930-31 Pickup roof questions

Could the two issues be related? Fix one, fix both.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Bob C

I think you have way to much gap. Check out slides 14-20 at this link.
http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/puro...3_document.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
SSsssteamer

Vin Tin... Before you go nailing down your roof tin, fit both your doors and make sure that your door headers are not cut too long. I had to shorten up both of my "store bought" door headers so that the door strikers would make good contact. Once the doors fit their holes, then worry about the gap left in the roof tin. The new front header having to be shaved off is a common job too. Too much wood is better than not enough wood. Right? Make sure that the new windshield header is properly nested down into its new home before any windshield header shaving is done.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Vin Tin... Before you go nailing down your roof tin, fit both your doors and make sure that your door headers are not cut too long. I had to shorten up both of my "store bought" door headers so that the door strikers would make good contact. Once the doors fit their holes, then worry about the gap left in the roof tin. The new front header having to be shaved off is a common job too. Too much wood is better than not enough wood. Right? Make sure that the new windshield header is properly nested down into its new home before any windshield header shaving is done.
I'm a long way from nailing anything down. I made both of my door headers from scratch using several originals that I have as patterns. The most I could shorten them would be 1/8". Any shorter and the roof tins wouldn't fit the opening between the A and B pillars. Both doors are hung and fit good. I checked the vertical door over-lap and it's even top to bottom @ 1/2".

As far as the front header cover goes, are you saying there should not be any wood showing?
Old 01-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
SSsssteamer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As far as the front header cover goes, are you saying there should not be any wood showing?[/QUOTE]
I have always trimmed the windshield header wood down so that the 30-31 windshield visor's screws will properly fit the screw holes in the windshield stanchions. I have done four 30-31 pickup headers so far. I also trim the new windshield header wood down only far enough so that there will be no exposed wood as you look up to under the installed windshield visor and that the visor is resting on the windshield header wood instead of "just the the visor metal resting on the front metal cover of the windshield header". And this will be a big help: The door header length is correct if the "Door Opening Header Strip" part number A45890PU fits the door width openings perfectly. There are holes at either end of those door opening header strips that properly locate the door width openings. Adjust your door header lengths to match up to these holes.

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 01-29-2017 at 11:31 AM.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Vin-tin

Quote:
As far as the front header cover goes, are you saying there should not be any wood showing?
I have always trimmed the windshield header wood down so that the 30-31 windshield visor's screws will properly fit the screw holes in the windshield stanchions.
I have done four 30-31 pickup headers so far. I also trim the new windshield header wood down only far enough so that there will be no exposed wood as you look up to under the installed windshield visor and that the visor is resting on the windshield header wood instead of "just the the visor metal resting on the front metal cover of the windshield header".
And this will be a big help: The door header length is correct if the "Door Opening Header Strip" part number A45890PU fits the door width openings perfectly. There are holes at either end of those door opening header strips that properly locate the door width openings. Adjust your door header lengths to match up to these holes.[/QUOTE]

I went out and double checked the things you mention.
The visor holes line up perfect with the windshield stanchions holes and the visor rests on the wooden header evenly the whole way across. I already shaved the header down enough to get it to that point.
The door header length looks correct. As you said, there is a hole in the rear door header bracket. But there's only a "cut-out" area in the front bracket. No hole. This area and the rear hole do line up with the holes in the door header cover. So every area of concern that you mentioned looks as if it's correct, and that brings me full circle back to my original questions.
I can weld some sheet metal onto the visor cover if I have to. That will extend it up to cover the exposed wood. I'm more concerned with trying to fix the area in the rear of the roof where the hidum welt goes.
I'm going to bevel the wood a little at a time to see if that helps bring the hidum groove into alignment. Any other ideas?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Bob C

This is from an old post by Marco.

"Finally, once the front face panel is properly fitted there should be approximately 3/16" of wood showing above the panel. Then before the final install of the face panel, a strip of fender welting is tacked to the face of the wood so the bead covers that 3/16" area of wood and forms a seal against the bottom of the visor once installed."

Bob
Old 01-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
This is from an old post by Marco.

"Finally, once the front face panel is properly fitted there should be approximately 3/16" of wood showing above the panel. Then before the final install of the face panel, a strip of fender welting is tacked to the face of the wood so the bead covers that 3/16" area of wood and forms a seal against the bottom of the visor once installed."

Bob
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
Vin-tin

Quote:
We are always learning. Thank you Bob.
X2. The Barn is great! Thanks steamer and bob.