Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
harleytoprock

Default Brake cross shaft lever positions

I've read that the levers on the brake cross shaft should be in a verticle position. If the front brake levers on the wheel should be at 15 degree forward position shouldn't the front lever on the cross shaft also be at 15 degree forward position for optimal results? It seems that if the pedal brake rod is adjusted so that the plunger end is 1/16" from the cross member, you don't get any choice as to where the cross shaft will be positioned. On my car, if I wanted to get 15 degree forward front lever position on the cross shaft, I would have to make or modify the pedal rod. Would it be worth it?
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Brake cross shaft lever positions

Nope. Because you 'pull' from the bottom of the cross shaft for the front brakes and the top pulls for the rears. If you insert the 15 degrees like you want you will loose braking power big time. That and the pedal will be messed up inside and the brakes themselves will be messed with. Just adjust per Ford instructions and you will be fine.

Mike
Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
V4F

agreed ... straight up on cross shaft !
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

However, in my case with a 1930 Town sedan, if you have installed a 3:27 differential with the "add on" speedometer modifier attachment sold by Bert's, the centered curve in the brake cross shaft can slightly hit this extended speedometer attachment.

Hence, in my case, the brake cross shaft arms will have to be positioned just a couple of degrees off of 90 degrees, & you may have to custom fabricate a metal "stop" to keep the brake cross shaft from hitting & shearing off this extended 3:27 metal speedometer attachment.

Just one experience to share with converting to a higher speed 3:27 differential which actually helps a lot to reduce rpm's & engine noise while out on the highway.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Ron in Quincy

Start by adjusting the rod between the brake pedal and cross shaft to achieve the vertical position of the brake rod clevises; then un bolt the brake rod return springs; pull forward on the rear brake rods to remove the built in play and adjust the clevis to permit the clevis pin to be installed; next adjust the front brake rods, you may have to install pills in the adjusting wedge to achieve the 15 degrees.
Remember the mechanical braking system on the "A" is 60 percent rear and 40percent front; on hard braking the rear wheels should lockup and only heavy impression on the front.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote