Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 26/27 touring project...suggestions.

Hey guys, I'm new here to the model t but I have a project in mind and want to get any advice or suggestions you may have.

The Plan:

26 or 27 touring

install modern(70s toyota or similar) engine and trans and rear

install disk brakes in front

modern wheels and tires

rest of car left basically stock restored

have you guys ever done anything like this? what problems will I face? Advice? I am looking to build a car that can really be driven in modern traffic for a business idea.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 26/27 touring project...suggestions.

Why do you want to mess up a good model T?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I was afraid I would hear something like this. I am looking to build a "t" that can handle being driven on modern roadways, almost as a daily driver. The crank start, horsepower, and braking system and 6 volt elec on a stock "T" is just not gonna cut it. I'm going to start out with a basketcase "T" with no engine or trans. Besides its not like Ford only made 100 model T's and I wold be cutting up something rare. There are still alot out there and I really love checking out the stock cars and have tons of respect for you guys who keep everything stock but it just won't work for this project.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I've not done this but, personally, I would replace the chassis frame, or at least box it in completely, and reinforce it with cross members. A custom frame can be designed for your specific use and would probably cost less then the modifications to an original. If you looked around at the various street rod suppliers, you could buy a new and stronger frame for your project. A Model T chassis is very flexible as stock and was designed to operated with only 20hp. Also, stick to wire wheels, wooden spokes won't hold up to the high speeds. I'm sure others will add more but this is where I would start.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Default Re: 26/27 touring project (considerations)

I would think you would be money ahead to find a good solid car to start with. If the engine/transmission were gone through and the car had distributor ignition system with the electronic setup installed it would be very reliable.

Don't make to much of the 20 horsepower thing, a T can be made to run strong enough to keep up with city street traffic easy enough. They didn't rate HP the same way they do today or the T would be higher.

The main obstacle (and you identified it) is the brakes. I have seen these cars where the owner converted the rear brakes to hydraulic disc units off of a motorcycle and they work exceptionally well. If a guy were to modify the fronts to accept the same brakes it would stop as well as a modern.

Most T's have electric start or can be easily converted. They are not hard to crank start either.

I would suggest finding someone near you who owns a good running T and have them take you for a ride. You may be suprized at how well they run. It won't do well on the interstate but around town at 35-50 is within its capabilities. I think you would be money ahead finding a solid good running car with electric start and modifying the brakes. Good luck.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

why don't you just buy a toyota and be done with rather than ruin a restorable 26 touring body.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Default Well Dave.....

As I said in my other post, I am looking to build a "t" this way for a reason. But if you are so concerned with me hacking up a "t" (guys have been doing this for 50 years in building hot rods)then when I find a car, I will let you know and you could offer me a crazy amount of cash and the car will be yours. Or else please keep your rude comments off my post so that the others with good advice can respond.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

What you have proposed is a hot rod. It may not have a small block Chevy, but your modifications are the same as any hot rodder does when he builds a T bucket. You may be new to Model T's but what you are suggesting is not a Model T. This forum and its members are dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all Model T's.

Your best bet is to build a car from the ground up using modern hot rod components. The Model T chassis requires a lot of modifications to cope with increased HP and front wheel brakes. Do you know that Model T's don't have rear wheel service brakes? Those would also have to added to you list of modifications. Model T steering would not work either. In my city there is a store called the Model T Shop. They build hot rods and supply parts. That is the kind of place you should get advice.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

Default Re: Well Dave.....

Mulle:

Thank you for kind offer to find me a model T but I have too many projects now. Lots of luck on you project.

Dave.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

good morning, i wouldn't even try dealing with a t chasis with the modifications you are planning. there is up dated tubular chasis on ebay with everything but the motor and trans you could probably get reasonable for your project, look for(model t ford). suggestion might be looking for a model t or a that has already been up dated and go from there, the 80 year old frame will be very questionable, metal fatigue.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

ebay item# 1876226794 & item# 1876029750

all you need is to find the body, good luck

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

Mulle:

Thank you for kind offer to find me a model T but I have too many projects now. Lots of luck on you project.

Dave.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #13

good morning, i wouldn't even try dealing with a t chasis with the modifications you are planning. there is up dated tubular chasis on ebay with everything but the motor and trans you could probably get reasonable for your project, look for(model t ford). suggestion might be looking for a model t or a that has already been up dated and go from there, the 80 year old frame will be very questionable, metal fatigue.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #14

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #15

What you have proposed is a hot rod. It may not have a small block Chevy, but your modifications are the same as any hot rodder does when he builds a T bucket. You may be new to Model T's but what you are suggesting is not a Model T. This forum and its members are dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all Model T's.

Your best bet is to build a car from the ground up using modern hot rod components. The Model T chassis requires a lot of modifications to cope with increased HP and front wheel brakes. Do you know that Model T's don't have rear wheel service brakes? Those would also have to added to you list of modifications. Model T steering would not work either. In my city there is a store called the Model T Shop. They build hot rods and supply parts. That is the kind of place you should get advice.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #16

Mulle:

Dave.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #17

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #18

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #19

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #20

Mulle:

Dave.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #21

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #22

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #23

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #24

Mulle:

Dave.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #25

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #26