Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default motor mount blocks

i know this is a dumb question, but has anyone ever used a "hard" rubber block in place of the wodden block for the motor mount. i know iam opening up a can of worms with that question

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: motor mount blocks

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I'd given some thought to using rubber but did not on my car because the wood blocks are cheap, original (not necessarily better) and would reduce the enjoyment of driving the Tin-Lizzy with all of it's squeeks and vibrations we all so dearly love. But mostly I had no ready source for the rubber blocks.

Steve

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

the blocks only hold the top bolt in place it fits loose in the frame rail also moter mount bolts should be only finger tight if too tight could cause frame to crack.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

i am dragging a 26 out of a junk pile. doing pretty good but it's news to me about the blocks of wood. (have the books)i am now going to use hard rubber but don't really understand about leaving the motor mounting bolts loose?? if i use hard rubber and nyloc nuts on the bolts, run them up snug is this OK??

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

a followup comment to using a solid rubber motor mount block, rather than wood. back in henrys day,a source for a decent reliable rubber did not exist so therefore wood was the chioce of useage.it did its job at the time,why change something if it works.

now iam not saying to use a rubber block on aaca cars to be judged at shows as original,but on everyday drivers,rubber blocks would definitly"soften" the ride and reduce a lot of stress on the engine block as well as the entire powerplant.

why else would thay have sold as a aftermarket add-on a "security" strap that "cradeled" the underside of the engine in case of a "wooden" block cracking under the stress of everyday driving.

if anyone has ever done thier homework on t's it happened often.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

a followup comment to using a solid rubber motor mount block, rather than wood. back in henrys day,a source for a decent reliable rubber did not exist so therefore wood was the chioce of useage.it did its job at the time,why change something if it works.

now iam not saying to use a rubber block on aaca cars to be judged at shows as original,but on everyday drivers,rubber blocks would definitly"soften" the ride and reduce a lot of stress on the engine block as well as the entire powerplant.

why else would thay have sold as a aftermarket add-on a "security" strap that "cradeled" the underside of the engine in case of a "wooden" block cracking under the stress of everyday driving.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9