Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default How do I identify my frame?

I am a new fan of Model T's. I never realized how simple the construction is and how easy it is to get parts. I just bought a frame with front and rear axels. My friend said the frame number was supposed to be on the upper side of the right rail by the transmission. That's where his frame number is. We have both checked and there is no number. We can't find it anywhere. How do you distinguish between a car frame and a truck frame? When it comes to the rear axel and drive shaft, what is the differance between an open spool and a closed spool? The piece between the axel housing and drive shaft on my T is different from my friends T. I checked the Lang catalog and found that part. The catalog identifies the differance as being that one is for the open spool and the other is for the closed spool. What's the differance?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: How do I identify my frame?

The closed spool is early and the number is not on early frames. Can you give us more info, like the type running board brackets, if any. The size brake drums and etc. Wolf !!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

There are no drums or running board braces. The lower crank case is still in place and it takes the 14 bolt oil pan. That confirms an early frame. What year did they start putting the number on the frame?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I checked the specs at the MTFCA web site atarting with with the 1909 specs and was able to make SOME conclusions.

1910 - The pinion bearing spool was a casting and was held by studs and nuts, the studs being enclosed (not visible) in the housing. That's the way mine is.

1910 - The pinion bearing spool was a casting and was held by studs and nuts, the studs being enclosed (not visible) in the housing. That's the way mine is.

1914 - Integral front housing for universal joint assembly replaced the “two-piece” style. Mine is a one piece.

1915 - The right-hand steering arm no longer had the hole for the speedometer swivel, since speedometers were no longer standard equipment. Mine does not have that hole. Also, the new type rear axel had a cast center section and the axle tubes were inserted into the housing extensions on each side, and riveted in place. That is the way mine is.

1916 - Reinforcing ribs on the outside of the brake backing plates began to appear. Mine has those ribs.

1918 - Non-tapered rear spring. That's what I have.

1919 - On the front axel the radius rod now connected below the axle, at the spring perches, making a stronger assembly. On the rear axel the oil filler hole was moved down to a point about 1-3/4” below the centerline. Got that.

1920 - The pinion bearing spool was changed to the forged type with the exposed bolts. But the old and the new types were used until about June 1921 when the forged type became standard.

I believe my frame is a 1919 or 1920. Would you agree? I think I'll pat myself on the back for figuring that one out.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Default Frame Numbers

Matt

Frame numbers did not appear on Model T Ford's until late 1925 and were used until the end of production in 1927. The frame number was the same as the engine number which was stamped on the block just above the water inlet on the drivers side of the engine.

Ron the Coilman

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Frame Numbers - before or after july 1925

The model year for the 25 ended in late July. If the numbers weren't stamped on the frames until after that, then only 1926 and later frames had the numbers. Also, not all 26 models would have the number unless unless thay started exactly on July 27th when the new model year began. Does anyone know that month or with what serial number they started this with?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Default Re: Frame Numbers - before or after july 1925

Matt

I would caution you about using absolute dates for anything on a Model T Ford.

If you look at the engineering release dates for any part or change to a part and the actual cars produced they rarely match up.

This is because Model T's were being made at Branch assembly plants all over the USA and what Highland Park decreed may not have been immedaitely implemented. If a part was available it got used in production.

I was told a "factory letter" gave direction to start adding the frame numbers in late 1925 and have seen examples, but have long since forgotten the date.

I'll bet Bruce McCalley would know off the top of his head. Contact him via email at [email protected].

Good luck

Ron the Coilman

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Default Dec. 12 1925, at the Highland Park plant

Other plants followed. Info found at the MTFCA site - Bruce Mc Calley's Encyclopedia.