Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Refueling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons49 View Post
... I hate those spring loaded vapor "cv joints" that NY and California install on the nozzle. I can't even see if the fuel is overflowing, not to mention muscle strains holding them...
Washington State has them also.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Art Bjornestad

I use the aluminum "gadget and they work very well.

I put on a hood holding device that goes across the radiator rods and use one of the arms to store the adapter when not in use.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
rlh37ford

Michael: Thanks for the lead as to where to find the rolling gas tank. I'll check it out.
rlh37ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #24
George

I went to the local Fastenal store and purchased a "tractor funnel" which locks right onto the gas tank neck on my 30.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
TerryH

I live in S. California and have never had a problem filling my A. I also use the PVC device and have no filler screen either......easy to fill the tank and never a spill...I hold a paper towel in one hand just in case. Have had 2 A's over the years and never used the screen, and many others don't either........
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
JBill

I've got one of those vinyl covered pads with a hole in the middle that I think is intended to fit over the step plate and guard the rear fender when somebody is getting in or out of a rumble seat. But I use it on the gas tank too. On second thought, maybe that was what it was actually for in the first place, but I just decided to use it for the rear fender too. Whatever. I'm pretty sure I got it from Lebarron -Bonney. Very inexpensive. BTW, I don't have a screen.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
markyb

Funny timing, I saw this rolling tank at our local Costco a few weeks ago. I seem to remember that it was $75 or so (at the Auburn Hills, MI store)
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
markyb

I guess my ol' memory isn't too bad, this site listed it as available at Costco stores for $70

http://www.dealighted.com/main/page/...M_YMMV_2263421
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

does anyone use depends for protection? my dad has seen guy's use them
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
Napa Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons49 View Post
Skip, the diaper is a nice idea, however I would think that the fuel would pass through and saturate the cotton as it lays on the paint. What about "huggies" etc with a layer of plastic. Or, would the plastic rapidly deteriorate when the fuel touches it? I hate those spring loaded vapor "cv joints" that NY and California install on the nozzle. I can't even see if the fuel is overflowing, not to mention muscle strains holding them. Nice idea re. cutting out the bottom of the screen. Hmm
I suppose fuel would soak through the diaper, although - being lucky enough (so far) to not dribble too much - it never gets to that stage. My principal purpose for the refueling protector diaper was to protect the area around the tank opening from scratches. It also makes a convenient place to set the gas cap without it scratching the tank or sliding off (my previous location being the top of the car, inasmuch as I suppose I was too lazy to place it on the gas pump).

The PVC adapter has also enabled the tank to be refueled while not overflowing the tank without disabling the vapor recovery sleeve on the nozzle or having to become a contortionist in order to see the fuel pump register to approximate the amount of fuel needed.

At one time someone took issue with the PVC adapter being unsafe inasmuch as it electrically insulates the car/gas tank from the fuel pump/nozzle. Based on the plastic gas tank/filler neck on both my Ford Rangers (and lack of any grounding connection between the vehicles' metal body and metal filler neck lip) I do not believe this to be a valid concern.

However, if you see news reports of a 1930 Deluxe Coupe detonating while the young and good looking owner was filling it's gas tank in or around Napa, then I take back my dismissal of the safety concern...
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #31
Dave in Boise

As far as the aluminum fuel filler adaptors, I use them on all my cars and are very pleased.. I can put the fuel filler neck on, put in the nozzle and squeeze the trigger and walk away.. It fills it to right around an inch from the top of the tank.. No mess, no spills (and no screens in my tanks either, but even then they should work well, just at the first 1 or 2 notches on the pump nozzle)

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #32
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
On a very related note - does anyone use those gas tank extensions that the vendors sell for around $30? (pic below from Snyder's) - I'm just wondering if they actually work (i.e. can you just set the nozzle in there running by itself, and it'll shut itself off when the tank is full, like on a modern car). I also thought about using the 14-gallon portable tank that's in the OP, but a c-note is a bit rich for me...

These do work. They raise the nozzle up far enough so that screens are not so much of a problem-amount of flow with a screen could still be a problem. They also give a firm surface for the nozzle to rest on so you can push it to get things started without messing up your gas tank neck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
marc hildebrant

When I fill up with gas, I just twist the nozzle some as I pull it up and out of the tank. It's a similar arm twist that I use when pouring wine so as not to have any drops spill.

After all, the Model A can be called vintage like a fine wine !

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #34
160B

When we were at the North West Regional Meet in Wilsonville Oregon in 2011 and we fueled up at the gas station right near the hotel. The attendant was tying a rag or paper towel around the gas nozzle to keep the rubber bellows in a retracted position. This allowed you to ground the nozzle against your tank and you also could see what you were doing.

The second time we stopped there to refuel an ingenious employee had made a keeper that went around the gas nozzle and rested on the raised ring on the nozzle and held back the rubber bellows so you did not have to fool around tying a paper towel or rag.

When I got home I went to the local gas stations that had bellows on their nozzles and looked at them and they each had a raised ring on the nozzle, so I measured the diameter of their nozzles and made the keeper shown in the below photo.

I made the keeper out of aluminum plate and made two different cut outs, .930 for Arco and .820 for Shell.

Works great doesn’t cost $30, and is easy to store
See the below photo.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #35
ctvpa

You guys are putting gas in one tank, unloading it at home, filling your car, loading the tank in the car, taking the tank to the store, etc, etc.... sounds like work.
I took a piece of top material, cut a hole the size of the filler. Take it out, put it on, fill the car, put the top material in my front mounted tool box, (no smell). If you have a flame arrester, take it out.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #36
Chris in WNC

I like my solution better:
1) be careful when filling tank
2) wipe off any spilled fuel and forget about it.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
I like my solution better:
1) be careful when filling tank
2) wipe off any spilled fuel and forget about it.
Works for me.

And I do have the screen in place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #38
160B

repost at the request of Napa Skip

try this link

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album....ictureid=21810

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #39
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
On my A,I removed the bottom of the filler screen & it takes gas faster & the rest of the screen still acts as a flame arrestor.I never have a problem with gas spills on the cowl.
Have you tested that mod with a match?...just to make sure it's "safe"
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #40
1931 flamingo

I agree with post #36. How long does it take to fill an A tank (even if empty)?? How many of us empty the tank?? How many top it off?? How many just put in $10 when it gets to about 1/4??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote