Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #41
michael a

Default Re: SO incredibly mad at myself!!!

When I was a heavy mechanic we put switches on every machine that used oil pressure that work great we just use the small oil pressure switch and then went to a constant on solenoid which operated everything but the starter. As soon as the oil pressure hit we had ignition in lights

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #42
slowforty

Mr Hoovie is politically correct, I put a connector in the wire to the coil. I dont know which is worse forgetting to unplug the wire or forgetting to plug it back together after working on it. I keep forgetting to remember what i forgot.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Mr Hoovie is politically correct, I put a connector in the wire to the coil. I dont know which is worse forgetting to unplug the wire or forgetting to plug it back together after working on it. I keep forgetting to remember what i forgot.
So you're saying you run down your battery trying to start it the next day because you forgot to reconnect it? I feel right at home here. So many great suggestions. I'm picturing a battery switch that looks like new. I took it off an 8n ford tractor 20 years ago. It has a key in it to activate it. I think I saw it about 5 years ago in a box in the attic over the cabinet shop. I'll do some digging this weekend. I know it's up there somewhere......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #44
Britcheflee

Only thing to do is let it all cool off and see what happens - might be just fine.
Britcheflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 AM   #45
Mart

I damaged a coil on a Buick many years ago by leaving the ignition on. It recovered, but was never right and deteriorated until it needed a new coil. The coil plastic had actually cracked and the oil had leaked out, causing it to overheat after running for a while.

So, if it seems ok, I'd advise to carry a spare "get you home" coil until you have run it long enough and far enough to make sure all is well.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #46
GB SISSON

I have an old tool box with a bunch of spares including a coil that I toss into any of my old fords whenever I travel any distance. This weekend I re-wired my runtz units so they each got clean battery power. In other words I wired them up the way Randy's instruction sheet told me to in the beginning. Last week I ordered two of the runtz units from him so I'd have an extra for my tool box. He paid the 7.50 in shipping even though I told him I had wired them incorrectly. Now all my gauges work properly and I took the opportunity to install the new stick on gauge faces I got from Dennis Carpenter. Dang they look great! Then I mounted a yellow idiot light up above my push-pull ignition switch. There was an ugly 3/4" hole there in the center of the dash from some other hillbilly in the past so that hole is now filled, and maybe it will remind me to shut it off. Lastly I rummaged in my attic and found that key operated battery switch. Had 2 big brass keys in it. What are the chances? That's my next project. I want to get some pics of my 'new' instrument panel tomorrow. Thanks to so many helpful people, and to Darrel for the link to the Tom Rush memory song. Nice to know it happens to everyone.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 11-20-2017 at 12:25 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #47
barnfind

carguybill got a part number and source for the breaker you use?
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote