Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Mark W.

Default One for Steve Plucker - Script coil questions

I'm just tearing into my original 29 Roadster due to it needing new gaskets, valves & Rings at a minimum - and I owe Steve several pictures that can only be taken during dis-assembly...

So - here is something I'd never noticed - my coil is scripted. I've been under the impression that only repro coils were scripted - and this does not look like a repro.

So, Question - is this original or an older replacement?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (37.7 KB, 211 views)
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: One for Steve Plucker - Script coil questions

Is that a "20" or "2C" just under the mounting bracket?

The only codes I've seen on original coils is the date codes on the flat part of the mounting bracket.
I agree that this does look like an original coil.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
P.S.

That looks like an "SX" coil made by the Essex Wire and Cable company for the mid 30's cars. I also think it is a 30's replacement because of the oval around the Ford script. I believe that started in 1932.

Look below the "2C" date code, you can clearly see the "SX" stamp.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
160B

To my knowledge you have a later coil that is not Model A.The Ford Script on the Model A coil did not have an oval around the Ford script.
Here is RG&JS page 2-13 revised 2011

The coils above show the original finishes and varying paint gloss as delivered from Ford.
Left - Slant pole coil common to 1928-29 models.
Center - Straight pole coil used from November 1929 through July 1931.
Right - Ford script straight pole coil introduced in July 1931.

COIL
All original coils had steel bodies painted bl
ack with a dark reddish brown or maroon Bakelite base. The paint finish varied between coils from satin to glossy. Original coils were manufactured with a Ford script through March 1928 when it was eliminated. The Ford script was reinstated in July 1931. Ford specified date codes similar to those on starter and generator bands be added to the coil beginning in mid 1929; however, date codes appeared as early as March 1928. These codes were often omitted or too weak to be visible. Date codes are not required on the coil but if present must be appropriate for the vehicle being judged.

All coils had a manufacturer's identification near th
e bottom of the coil. These would include "AL" (Autolite), "SP" (Standard Products), encircled "A" or magneto logo
(Americ
an Bosch) and "SX" (Essex Wire). The bracke
t was black and spot-welded to the coil body. The bracket attached to the firewall with two cadmium plated round- head screws with no washers in 1928-29. In early 1930 unfinished lock washers were added, and beginning in mid 1930 the screws were painted black.

The slant pole coil was used from the beginning of production through late 1929. The coil terminal studs were fastened to the housing with an insulating washer,
zinc or cadmium plated
flat washers and cadmium plated hex nuts. Wires to this coil were secured with nickel or cadmium plated, slotted cylindrical terminal nuts, unfinished lock washers, and zinc or cadmium plated flat washers.

In December 1929 the "strai
ght pole coil" was introduced. The design changes in the new coil included reversing the polarity from that of the previous coils. The internal connections were reversed moving the unmarked positive (+) terminal from the left or driver's side to the right side to accommodate the wiring change described in Coil Wiring. Some suppliers continued to supply the slant pole design but with the new reversed polarity into December 1929.

The terminal studs on the new coil were parallel t
o the high tension terminal. The studs were moulded into the Bakelite base. Wires were secured with cadmium orraven finished hex nuts. The plain lock washers and cadmium or zinc plated flat washers were retained. The black lacquered, cloth covered high tension wire to the distributor was 11-3/4" long. No dust caps were used at the coil or distributor cap. Check the Bakelite portion of the coil for cracks.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 08-08-2014 at 12:59 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Bob C

Looks like a later replacement, see Vince's site. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/modelbignitioncoils.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Doug Clayton

Just to clear up the usage of the Essex coil with the Ford script in an oval. They were initially introduced in late 1931 and would be correct for only that period. As mentioned the date code would also need to be correct for late 1931.
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Clayton View Post
Just to clear up the usage of the Essex coil with the Ford script in an oval. They were initially introduced in late 1931 and would be correct for only that period. As mentioned the date code would also need to be correct for late 1931.
So Doug, are you telling us that the Essex coils with the Ford script in an oval were introduced during the months of September through December 1931 (late 1931)?

When was this aspect known or discovered by the JSC?

Will someone be shot down, if they use such a coil for fine point judging (now that we know it was within the Model A era), even though it was not stated in the standards?

Will this aspect of the Ford script in an oval on the coil be included in the next revision of the standards 10 years from now or whenever they are revised?

Thanks Doug.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
So Doug, are you telling us that the Essex coils with the Ford script in an oval were introduced during the months of September through December 1931 (late 1931)?

When was this aspect known or discovered by the JSC?

Will someone be shot down, if they use such a coil for fine point judging (now that we know it was within the Model A era), even though it was not stated in the standards?

Will this aspect of the Ford script in an oval on the coil be included in the next revision of the standards 10 years from now or whenever they are revised?

Thanks Doug.

Pluck
Document the usage and apply for a variance until the JSC is updated. (We would need more than just a statement here on Fordbarn for the documentation.)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Mark W.

Sorry for not getting back sooner - wicked thunderstorm thru our area knocked out my internet at home last Friday.

Yes the coil is stamped "C2" - and is a dead match for the ones on the Ford Garage site listed above.

I didn't mean to start a firestorm on the JS - I have that book at home and this style coil was not listed - but the "patina" is so close to the firewalls that I figured it was a replacement not too far off the A era.

Thank you all for the information.

Mark
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Was the "SX" (Essex Wire) coil with and without the oval around the Ford script?

Pluck
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Doug Clayton

The RG&JS allows, without a deduction, the use of the Essex coil (with an oval surronding the Ford script) in late 1931, as long as the date code is appropriate for the month/year of the vehicle (and the other features match the desription given). The photograph of the coils was not intended to be all inclusive. The Essex coil information was known in the preparation of revision 3 and is the reason we removed the old note that said the script/oval combination was post Model A production. To verify these were produced in late 1931 we located a coil with the date code that matched Model A production.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Doug Clayton

Marco collected the coil data over four years ago. I just checked the list and there were two Essex coils found with the proper date codes - 9 1 for September 1931 and L 10 for October 1931. There was one possible report of an Essex coil without the oval, but this was not verified. A C 2 date code would be February 1947.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Thank you Mr. Clayton for the varification of the Essex Coil.

Much appreciated Doug.

Why don't the MARC guys get in on these discussions?

Pluck
Old 04-02-2024, 04:24 PM   #14
KR500

When were the round slotted coil nuts used on coils and was a tool other than a slotted screwdriver used to drive them?
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:40 PM   #15
rotorwrench

The ones I've seen were on the slanted terminal coils used in 1928/29. This is a very old thread. I would suggest starting a new thread to prevent any confusion. Several of the original posters are no longer with us.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote