Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default Dip stick use question

This may be obvious, but I just wanted to make sure. On my 1928 the dipstick (I'm assuming) rests on the short part of the stick resting on the block, to check the oil level and then you squeeze it together to secure it into the block and to prevent oil from blowing out through the hole, yes? I figured this out when I took it for the only second drive since I bought this car and found that oil had sprayed out through the dipstick hole. Not a lot....but enough to alert me to the proper use of a simple device. I also wanted to be sure I was checking the oil level correctly.....as we all know what too much or too little can do....so I hope I'm doing it right.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
bigd1101

Default Re: Dip stick use question

Oh, and an update on my overheating saga. New radiator (Brassworks), new high compression head (the original was cracked), new water pump, tuned up the car, timing, etc....etc.....etc.....

Took her for a short spin and viola! No more overheating. Now all I have to learn is the tricky downshifting into second, which I'll be working on this summer. I love a good challenge and this car has indeed been one.....

Don
Old 07-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
Joe K

The dipstick is "fully" inserted before getting your read. And normally left in the "read" position when driving. (as you found by the loss of oil)

Joe K
Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
The dipstick is "fully" inserted before getting your read. And normally left in the "read" position when driving. (as you found by the loss of oil)

Joe K

Hi Joe, not sure what you mean. So to "read" the actual oil level I need to squeeze the handle together and insert the stick? Like I said, if I leave it loose, oil is ejected out the hole. I thought to "read" the correct level the stick had to be loose (not squeezed and fully inserted?) Sorry for my confusion here....I just want to make sure I have the right amount of oil in the crank case.

Don
Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Don, the underlying intent is the oil has settled back to the crankcase after the engine has sat idle for a period (-typically overnight). Prior to engine operation, the driver would check all engine fluid levels, and would open the hood and remove the dipstick to verify the oil in the pan was within safe operating limits before starting the engine. Because the engine was designed to be operated with the dipstick fully inserted (-squeezed together and fully inserted on your application), it stands to reason the level markings are designed to read correctly when the 'oil level indicator' (-correct name for dip stick) is fully inserted.

On a side note, it has been my experience that there are no adverse effects if the oil level is one quart overfull or under full. If someone has shared with you otherwise, there likely is some other issue creating the problem and not the actual oil level.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Don, the underlying intent is the oil has settled back to the crankcase after the engine has sat idle for a period (-typically overnight). Prior to engine operation, the driver would check all engine fluid levels, and would open the hood and remove the dipstick to verify the oil in the pan was within safe operating limits before starting the engine. Because the engine was designed to be operated with the dipstick fully inserted (-squeezed together and fully inserted on your application), it stands to reason the level markings are designed to read correctly when the 'oil level indicator' (-correct name for dip stick) is fully inserted.

On a side note, it has been my experience that there are no adverse effects if the oil level is one quart overfull or under full. If someone has shared with you otherwise, there likely is some other issue creating the problem and not the actual oil level.

Hi Brent, I did some searching on an old Barn thread and sure enough, the stick has to be squeezed at the handle and inserted fully as you say to get the correct read. I also read that the A's are happy as you say, a quart low or a quart high, with the higher level leaking out somewhere if the car is parked on a steep incline ( too funny) so I guess the answer is....make sure there is oil in the car and change it often if there is no filter. Love the car and it's simplicity and forgiveness on certain functions......and finally after a year of chasing and correcting the overheating problem, driving the car yesterday in the country, where I live.

Don
Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
Railcarmover
BANNED

Oil leaking from an improperly installed oil level indicator is a good thing,it means the 'splash' function of your lubrication system is working correctly.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Oil leaking from an improperly installed oil level indicator is a good thing,it means the 'splash' function of your lubrication system is working correctly.

Very good to know.....thanks~
Old 07-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

There is only one position for your stick, and that is fully down. You over filled your oil. That is why it was spewing out. Get the level down and always keep the stick down. If you have a shop change your oil, they can make the same mistake and over fill your oil. That is a mess as you well know.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post

Took her for a short spin and viola! No more overheating. Now all I have to learn is the tricky downshifting into second, which I'll be working on this summer.

Don
Just take it out of gear, let out the clutch, rev it up, push in the clutch, slip it into gear. Comes easy with practice.
Of course it you are turning a corner, signalling, braking, and down shifting, you run out of hands and feet.
Part of the fun...........enjoy!

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Just take it out of gear, let out the clutch, rev it up, push in the clutch, slip it into gear. Comes easy with practice.
Of course it you are turning a corner, signalling, braking, and down shifting, you run out of hands and feet.
Part of the fun...........enjoy!

Yup, my general procedure is start braking, roll window down, signal for the turn, get annoyed at the driver coming the other way waving hello at my hand signal, pull in my hand and mutter about how nobody knows what a hand signal is anyway... clutch, neutral, gas, clutch, second...
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
Hi Brent, I did some searching on an old Barn thread and sure enough, the stick has to be squeezed at the handle and inserted fully as you say to get the correct read. I also read that the A's are happy as you say, a quart low or a quart high, with the higher level leaking out somewhere if the car is parked on a steep incline ( too funny) so I guess the answer is....make sure there is oil in the car and change it often if there is no filter. Love the car and it's simplicity and forgiveness on certain functions......and finally after a year of chasing and correcting the overheating problem, driving the car yesterday in the country, where I live.
Don

Again, lots of info that sometimes is misleading -at best. I suppose there is always that one person that can make the argument that oil will leak if it is parked on a steep enough incline however the biggest cause of oil leaking at a steep incline would be from an improperly adjusted rear main bearing clearance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 07-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #13
Patrick L.

Quote:
Again, lots of info that sometimes is misleading -at best. I suppose there is always that one person that can make the argument that oil will leak if it is parked on a steep enough incline however the biggest cause of oil leaking at a steep incline would be from an improperly adjusted rear main bearing clearance.

Yep, and I think over all the years of use there are quite a few 'loose' main bearings.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #14
chap52

An oil change will require about 4 1/2 qts to fill it up. I buy the 5 qt Castrol 10-40 jug at Wal Mart, poor 1 qt into a plastic bottle for a later date, add the four qts to the car and then add a 15 oz. bottle of STP oil treatment.
I put the bottle of STP in a pan of hot water while I am doing the task. Then add it last as it pours easier after being warmed up a bit. In the summer I can just set it on the driveway to heat it up here in Arizona.
After doing this four times I have four qts. of oil saved up for another oil change. Just the way I do it... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
An oil change will require about 4 1/2 qts to fill it up. I buy the 5 qt Castrol 10-40 jug at Wal Mart, poor 1 qt into a plastic bottle for a later date, add the four qts to the car and then add a 15 oz. bottle of STP oil treatment.
I put the bottle of STP in a pan of hot water while I am doing the task. Then add it last as it pours easier after being warmed up a bit. In the summer I can just set it on the driveway to heat it up here in Arizona.
After doing this four times I have four qts. of oil saved up for another oil change. Just the way I do it... Chap

I'm using Delo 400 15-40w. I add a little zinc substitute for giggles.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post

I guess since the original question Don asked has been answered, let me ask you why you feel 10w-40 with the added expense of the STP is your preferred weight over something such as 20w-50, ...or even a different weight all together and just use a straight 30 wt?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 07-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Anyone that can't use a dip stick, is a DIP-SHIT!
Bill W.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
M2M

Quote:
I guess since the original question Don asked has been answered, let me ask you why you feel 10w-40 with the added expense of the STP is your preferred weight over something such as 20w-50, ...or even a different weight all together and just use a straight 30 wt?

I'm looking forward, I think, to the answer.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
Railcarmover
BANNED

Oh boy,an oil thread..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #20
Joe K

No - ANOTHER oil thread.

Joe K