Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #21
Zephyr4

Default Re: Light switch connector questions...

One of the positive things we get from having the internet!

And on the subject of sharing ideas: I don't have the three clips that are supposed to be on the bottom of the radiator to hold the right headlight wire. Can't see any sign of them either. Anyone solved that one before?
Zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr4 View Post
One of the positive things we get from having the internet!

And on the subject of sharing ideas: I don't have the three clips that are supposed to be on the bottom of the radiator to hold the right headlight wire. Can't see any sign of them either. Anyone solved that one before?
"Might" have been left off, during a previous radiator repair??? They're just little, soldered on STRIPS.
Bill W.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
ryanheacox

Glad to hear you're up and running!

My guess is you probably have an aftermarket radiator that never had the tabs to begin with?

All I can think to suggest is run some wire around the bottom tank of the radiator to secure the wire in the same locations as the tabs.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #24
Zephyr4

So here's where I'm up to:

20180826_135907.jpg
New end plate purchased and installed. Box was full of grease, I managed to scrape a load out and refilled it with 600w. So far, no leaks.

20180826_134204.jpg
Note the grease fitting! Should be a tapered plug I think.

20180829_141535.jpg
Found there was plenty of length to route the right headlight wires in front of the radiator bottom tank and then up inside the grille shell. At some point I'll get some tabs soldered on to hold this, but for now, it's secure and away from the fan!

20180829_141632.jpg
Routing the wiring to the lights at the rear, I have to negotiate this cross member. I figured the wire should go inside the frame rail wherever possible, but I can't see how to do that here. Henry didn't provide me with a hole as far as I can see, but I can't quite believe this is correct as it puts the wires close to the brake cross shaft. Couldn't copy what was there before as there was nothing there! Anyone know what's correct to do here please?

Nothing to do with this thread, but here's the car as it was a couple of weekends ago. Trailered to a show and driven around the campsite/show fields with a grinning idiot behind the wheel - the first time I've driven it at all. Both of these cars were in the same barn in Denmark since, we think, 1962. I bought one (blue) and my friend the other one and we brought them back together in 2014. Both made their first public outings by pure coincidence at the same show.
20180812_130308.jpg

Thanks for watching.
Zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
Badpuppy

I believe your wire routing is correct; it's the same as I found in my car. I was also concerned about possible abrasion in that area. In my case, battery acid overflow had eaten away all the fabric in the harness around the battery leaving the pvc wire insulation exposed (obviously a replacement harness). I repaired the damage with friction tape and then covered it all with plastic loom, past the brake rod to protect the fabric from further such damage.

Like yours, my radiator has no harness support tabs; it was strapped to a u-bolt below with a plastic tie. Again, here the loom had disintegrated from dry rot. I removed the harness from the right side, wrapped it with friction tape and covered the repair with more plastic loom. I then tied the ends of the loom to the bottom radiator supports with weather-resistant plastic ties. This supports the harness across the radiator well clear of the fan.

Nice looking ride you got there, bub.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #26
surf10

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Awesome this thread has just answered all of my questions
surf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 AM   #27
surf10

Awesome this thread has just answered all of my questions
surf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #28
Bob C

"Routing the wiring to the lights at the rear, I have to negotiate this cross member. I figured the wire should go inside the frame rail wherever possible, but I can't see how to do that here. Henry didn't provide me with a hole as far as I can see, but I can't quite believe this is correct as it puts the wires close to the brake cross shaft. Couldn't copy what was there before as there was nothing there! Anyone know what's correct to do here please?"

If you look at the lower part of the cross member were it meets the frame there should be a gap that you can run the wire inside the frame rail.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote