Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #41
katy

Default Re: Battery cut-off

I like the Caterpillar switch, 125A Continuous, 1000A Intermittent duty, keyed, reasonable price.

http://www.tornadoparts.com/caterpil...switch-7n0718/
Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #42
katy

Quote:
Did I miss any? Pick your primary poison
Have a friend that once told me he was having problems w/the throttle linkage heating up quite dramatically and was having problems starting his A. He put an extra ground connection between the engine and frame to cure it.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #43
Keith True

I once saw a popout cable glowing,it was the only ground path that was working at the time.I have seen discolored fuel lines,and found later that they had been the primary ground for the starter.If the rear mounts are installed properly there should be zero juice passing through them.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #44
Patrick L.

With all this talk of poor grounding, it is important that the frame connection be clean and correct. I like to add an extra heavy cable from the frame to the transmitter.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #45
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&N Farms View Post
Thanks all, I have seen the ones at the starter. I know there isn't a lot of room in the cab and didn't want it to be visible. The seat pops up very easily and has plenty of room to put a switch in. I didn't want to cut any sheet metal but I will cut the wood in the floor. I'll play with it and see what works.

As far as the draw, I'll find it, only happens once in a while. The P/U has been sitting for 20 + years, I found out. It has a few issues from sitting I need to work on but I'll get it sorted out.
"didn't want it to be visible"....
Here are pictures of my '30 roadster install. Sanitary, out of sight and pretty easy. Best part is that it can be switched in about a second from sitting position, if emergency occurs. Think safety first when driving an antique car with possible wire shorts, etc.... First thing turned on when starting car and first thing turned off when leaving car . Fool proof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (68.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (39.9 KB, 293 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #46
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Have a friend that once told me he was having problems w/the throttle linkage heating up quite dramatically and was having problems starting his A. He put an extra ground connection between the engine and frame to cure it.
Lets add the fuel line to the list of not so good ground paths.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #47
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
post 43
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #48
MikeK

Quote:
Post 40.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #49
MikeK

Just so everybody is clear on this, a battery cutoff switch alone is NOT a safety shutoff! The engine will continue to run, with the genny or alternator powering the entire electrical system- even if you have a hot smoking short circuit.

If also want it to function as an engine kill to stop generated power to the electrical system you need a double pole switch like this:

The heavy lugs break the battery. The smaller (rated 20A) are wired to break the ignition and, if you have them, electric fuel shutoff and fuel pump. THAT stops the engine in an emergency and in turn stops the running genny or alternator from powering a damaged electrical system independent of the battery. If you have an alternator you need to be careful not to wire this switch to break the entire alternator output from the output lug. That is usually fatal for the alternator. Many racing sanctions demand this type of switch and they can also be wired into the alternator internal circuit for a safe instant kill as an alternative to splicing into the ignition and fuel supply.

Of course, in a running engine electrical emergency you could just remember to shut off BOTH the ignition and battery, but this dual switch makes it simple.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #50
G&N Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
"didn't want it to be visible"....
Here are pictures of my '30 roadster install. Sanitary, out of sight and pretty easy. Best part is that it can be switched in about a second from sitting position, if emergency occurs. Think safety first when driving an antique car with possible wire shorts, etc.... First thing turned on when starting car and first thing turned off when leaving car . Fool proof
That's what I was looking for, thank you..
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #51
Terry, NJ

This could be the cause of many reports of vapor lock that we hear of. The fuel lines I'm talking about.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I once saw a popout cable glowing,it was the only ground path that was working at the time.I have seen discolored fuel lines,and found later that they had been the primary ground for the starter.If the rear mounts are installed properly there should be zero juice passing through them.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #52
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&N Farms View Post
I've had the battery go dead a few times overnight. After reading a lot of post, it might be the cutout on the generator. Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, I am going to put a battery disconnect of some kind.

Should I put it in-between starter and battery at the starter or is there somewhere else that would work better? I don't know if I want a big-ol switch hanging off the starter. Just asking.

Thanks.
i mounted mine in the floor between the seats and used the grounding wire when switch is off there is no power to anything
Tinkirk Terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #53
V4F

ive been using the red handle with good luck . I break the neg side (less arching) from the battery , no power anywhere . mounted in cab below seat , out side would be a hassle & waste as anyone could use it . BUT I do have an emergency switch (hidden well , even from me at times) because I have electric door & trunk …………… alls good
Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #54
Fred K-OR

Quote:
This kit has a mount that bolts onto the starter motor,

Mikes Afordable M14300DK

I also use this on both of my rigs. Has worked well. I think you can get the kit from most all of the vendors.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #55
30 Closed Cab PU

I pull the fuse that has been added to the top of the starter. I k now that this does not disconnect the starter power, but disconnects all other power.

What are the downsides to this? Most issues seem to be caused by generator/cutoff and lights-wring-switch issues from what others have posted.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote