Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Sandblast Glove Goes Soft Mystery?

I have my small sandblast cabinet in the basement and tonight when I went to blast some parts I found the outer end of the left hand index finger on the rubber gloves was very soft, almost tar like. These are lineman's gloves I bought about 10 years ago at the surplus store.

Static electricity builds up and sparks jump between the gun nozzle and part being blasted. If this glove all of a sudden gets soft from ozone, why just the left hand index finger? Thanks for any info on this mystery.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Sandblast Glove Goes Soft Mystery?

Tom:
If you are right handed it is common to wear through the left glove well before the right one goes. I have to replace my left glove often as I am right handed. I buy my gloves from TIPS in Missouri and always keep a spare left glove on hand. I use my bead blaster several days a week.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Stinch

I wrapped a wire around the nozzle and down the hose to ground. That eliminated the static buildup. I also buy replacement gloves from TIPS. Not sure why just one finger broke down like that as everything in the cabinet should be dry.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Tom:
If you are right handed it is common to wear through the left glove well before the right one goes. I have to replace my left glove often as I am right handed. I buy my gloves from TIPS in Missouri and always keep a spare left glove on hand. I use my bead blaster several days a week.

Tom Endy
But this finger didn't wear through. It turned gooey like certain plastics when dipped into gasoline. The gloves seemed to be perfect the last time I used them, about a month ago. 10 years is good for the gloves, but it seems strange to suddenly have just one spot turn to goo.

I had run a wire through the inside of the air hose to the nozzle to stop the static electricity, but it stopped working recently. I'll have to run another wire on the outside.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
Ed Saniewski

Tom, do you think there might have been something on the last parts you blasted? maybe some old paint stripper or gas? That might have effected the rubber

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
Tom, do you think there might have been something on the last parts you blasted? maybe some old paint stripper or gas? That might have effected the rubber
I never use paint stripper and always have any oil and grease removed before parts are blasted.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Keith True

Tom,I had the same thing happen to my left glove,but in the palm.I hold small parts in my left hand and blast them with my right.Even though I wash and dry parts beforehand I suspect there was a little juice left in a crevice that I missed.My parts washer juice and thinners don't bother,but I wash heavy grease off with diesel to keep the parts washer cleaner.The diesel does attack the rubber in my gloves.I use lineman gloves too.I feel a constant spark in my hand when blasting,when it bothers me too much I lean my shoulder on the cabinet and let it spark there for a while.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Ron/IA

Tom - I would have to agree with others who have mentioned some substance has gotten on the finger from the part being blasted. I am a HV lineman, and the rubber in lineman's gloves are for insulating purposes, and are not designed to stand up to any chemicals. That is why we always put leather outer gloves over the rubber.

Trick for checking gloves - close sleeve end of glove and roll putting pressure on the hand portion; if it will not retain air, somewhere on the glove has been compromised.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

Tom, have you given any thought to using Kleenex?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Preacher

well....gotta do that! it is always a wake-up to have that blue spark from the tip of my nose to the cabinet window!!

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
well....gotta do that! it is always a wake-up to have that blue spark from the tip of my nose to the cabinet window!!
I've had several shocks off my nose to the cabinet, until I installed the ground wire. Since my large cabinet is on rubber wheels, I also installed a small chain that drags on the floor.