Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
d.j. moordigian

Default Complete restoration VS a daily driver...

frame off, Pinto engine, Maco paint job, N.O.S. fan belt, 16" wheels, correct interior, you name it, what are your thoughts? Just thinking, Dudley

PS...this isn't meant to piss ANYBODY off !
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Complete restoration VS a daily driver...

Your idea of a complete restoration and mine will not be the same. An AACA first place winner may not make it as a Fine Point MARC restoration.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Logan

Cool Re: Complete restoration VS a daily driver...

I think whenever people pay for their own cars, they can build them how they want. No im not into the streetrod crowd, but some of them have more money in paint then some people have in their whole model a's. I like all kinds of model a's. I like the fine points cars, because they are very miticulously put together. But i like the Modified cars because you can get in them and drive them without worrying, and you can run them at a decent speed. I dont mind when people put pinto motors in cars, because i have driven a car with a pinto in it and they drive great. I might build one with a pinto and a '39 trans one day, but then again maybe not because i like the A & B engines. I guess what im saying is, that i like all model a's no matter whats under the hood. A lot of people dissagree with what i like, but then again im paying for it. just build the car how you want, and dont let anybody tell you differently.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

Roadster62..sorry about how I worded the question----try this---what do consider a restored car, what do you consider a driver?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Louis

d.j.,
My thought's are, if you put a back fire sw. on the dash i think it would be a hoot .
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Roadster62

I don't think two people with have the same opinion on what "Restored" is. I've seen Peter's 180-A at Hershey and consider that restored, some people would say my Dad's '31 Roadster is restored, but the degree of workmanship, detail etc is far different. In reality Dad's A is a driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Roadster62..sorry about how I worded the question----try this---what do consider a restored car, what do you consider a driver?
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

A frame off 500 point car should not be driven every day for obvious reasons, but that does not mean you cant have a bone stock with slight mods for a daily driver or in my case weekend driver, I love nothing better than to drive a period correct car around so if speed is what your into get a 60s fastback but if you give the model a chance you will fine a whole different world.

To me just driving something 80 years old is a thrill I get the same thrill out of my 428 corba jet, Its not about speed but the feel you get from matching the engine speed with shifting, or adjusting the timing as you road down the road, If your asking which way to go i would just like for you to try one before making big changes, Just my opinion but you know what they say about opinions AL
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
glenn in camino

I also like all Model As, but I much prefer properly restored ones.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Aerocraft

A good daily driver started somewhere along the line as a restored car, maybe even a car restored to fine point standards. Possibly even a unrestored, well maintained original. I like Glenn, prefer cars restored correctly and then used as they were intended to be - driven. I totally enjoy having mine out every day unless the roads are wet with salt!
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Mountain Dew

A frame off 500 point car should not be driven every day for obvious reasons, but ....

Sorry Allen but I disagree... If I ever get a Model A close to a 500 point car, I will drive it like a king every day that the sun shines.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

As food for thought, let me site something that I hear alot when talking with prospective customers. I have many that call and tell me they are seeking a complete restoration but they don't want a show car. I ask them exactly WHAT is a 'show car' or a "show car paint job", ...and usually there is a silence on the other end. The general response is something like "one that is too nice." I then ask them explain what "too nice" is. Again, ...long silence. I then take the lead and ask them if a new 2010 Ford automobile at the dealership has 'show car paint' on it. The typical answer is "Why no". I then ask them if the paint should be better --or equal to this new vehicle which I generally hear, "Well, ...maybe a little better quality." I point out that this new vehicle has no scratches or dents, and the fenders & doors all align with the other panels, --and the paint is shiney throughout. So if that same mindset is applied to a 'restoration', how do most "restorations" stack up against a new vehicle?

The next part of this is the misused term 'Driver'. In many cases, the term 'Show Car' can be likened to what a decorated Easter Egg is. Something that looks good but not good for much else. Naturally you can do other things with an Easter egg, but the main purpose for decorating an Easter egg is just to look at it. I personally feel the term 'Driver' is often overrated simply because many of those cars are actually NOT a good driver. Stuff generally doesn't work properly. If you go purchase a 2010 new vehicle, you expect everything to look good, AND function properly because you plan to drive it. A "Driver" so to speak!! Why shouldn't the same mindset apply to a "frame-up restoration" that is termed a "Driver"?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
Jim Mason

Build what you want, but use good workmanship. don't use 'it's only a driver' as and excuse to cut corners and do shoddy work. I use a house as an analogy. 'use the cheapest wiring possible and don't put in junction boxes, it's not a model home, i'm just going to live in it'....fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
Bob A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
frame off, Pinto engine, Maco paint job, N.O.S. fan belt, 16" wheels, correct interior, you name it, what are your thoughts? Just thinking, Dudley

PS...this isn't meant to piss ANYBODY off !
Build it the way you want it. It's your time and money. Me personally I like a driver but that's what I enjoy. I'm a little rough with my cars and I can't be worried about a scratch here and there.
I have two model A's and they are both drivers.
I don't want to go out for a drive and when I come back put it on a lift and clean and wax the chassis,I don't knock anyone who does.
I just make sure that both run good and are reliable. Like I said this is one of many ways I enjoy the hobby, others will do what they like.
The name of the game is to "enjoy"
Old 06-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Well put Bent, I just talk to a customer who only wanted the car for a investment and to show,This is the easter egg you talked about you can not drive it and expect to get top dollar when you turn it, people pay for looks just watch Barret Jackson or some of the other shows out there, But as the other guy said it would be hard not to drive it after all that work
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
Bill Goddard

The ONLY thing that matters in the end is RESALE VALUE. If you don't care- build what you want. If you expect to sell it someday to finance your next project you may wish you had "restored" it differently. But the decision has to be made now. The more off track the restoration the smaller the resale market. There is an old saying in boats, cars and airplanes that you make your money when you BUY the piece. (don't overpay.)
On a related subject I have attended an antique firearmes 18th century gunmaker's fair here in Pa for the last 24 yrs. There is a judging of the best gunmaker's work every year. I have watched the quality of these repos improve to the point where the ABOVE average builder can't compete with the masters anymore. These "500 point" guns are beautiful. No original gun was that good in its day. One would be reluctant to take it afield and would never fire it. The same can be said for high point cars.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
1931 flamingo

I wouldn't consider what you described as "restored", it was modified to be a driver while retaining some of the original features. In my opinion a better use of the car AND your money. If done correctly it is more reliable and safer and will draw just as much attention as a "restored" car, without having to hover over it if someone looking gets too close to it. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Wink Re: Complete restoration VS a daily driver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
The ONLY thing that matters in the end is RESALE VALUE. If you don't care- build what you want. If you expect to sell it someday to finance your next project you may wish you had "restored" it differently. But the decision has to be made now. The more off track the restoration the smaller the resale market. There is an old saying in boats, cars and airplanes that you make your money when you BUY the piece. (don't overpay.)

Sorry but i TOTALLY 1000% Disagree with you,, Resale for many of us had nothing what so ever on how we restore a car. I am doing a roadster that will cost me 2-3 times the "value" of the car... so what that is my choice and we will drive it every day.. When i made the deciion to restore a car i never ever thought what it was going to be worth some day and i know many of us think the same way, we restore to the best we can for that reason. I am not a car dealer but want the best i can achieve and the finest car for that reason, what it is worth....so what, i have a "perfec" car that lloks great and hopefully drives great, if you happen to think that this hobby will make us money by buying, restoring and selling cars,...think again. For myself and many of us, it is the LOVE of the car and the challenge and the fulfillment!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #18
Bill Goddard

Like I said - If the resale value dosen't matter build what you want. You do agree with me.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
Dennis Pereira

My ultimate goal in my 29 standard coupe project is to bring it back to original function and look. I want to experience the model A as it was built. But I reserve the right to change my opinion. Its been 55 years or so since my last ride.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Kurt in NJ

My thoughts on this are--both require a complete restoration, but with a show car the emphasis is perfect appearance and correctness, and with a driver it is perfect mechanical condition.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Bill Goddard

Dennis, That's my goal too.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow Paul, would you care to explain how those mods of installing a Pinto engine or 16" wheels make the Model A more reliable or safer than a restored one? I also question if MAACO paintwork is a better investment. Maybe I am biased, --or maybe you know something that I do not, so please expound on what I missed.

The other question I have is, ...why do people feel like Restorers must put their restored Model A up on a lift and clean everything after a drive? Just as with a brand-new modern vehicle, when we drive our modern car to the store in the rain, we don't bring it home and install it on a lift to clean the undercarriage do we? Many of my previous customers have a car 100% restored by us and then drive it without ever even touching the engine compartment or undercarriage with a cleaning cloth. IMO, owning a "driver" or street rod does not exempt owners either!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote