Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
roccaas

Default Permatex for oil pan

I recently dropped the pan to fix the #3 Rod's Big End. When applying Permatex to the block and oil pan flange, I must have missed a spot because I've got oil dripping from the front right corner and onto the splash pan.

I put the beads on the block and pan flange to the inside (interior side) of the bolt holes like the bead from the last time someone dropped the pan.

Should the bead be inside, outside, and over the bolt holes?

Thanks
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Permatex for oil pan

personally i dont use any permatex except where the gasket ends at all 4 corners. i use liquid teflon on all the pan bolts. if i was to use permatex i would go down the center of the holes along the gasket. remember that the front pan bolts that go into the front cover are not closed off so maybe you have oil comming down through the threads. i would first remove the front bolts and either use liquid teflon or silicone and reinstall them.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
jetmek

gasket goop on the pan usually causes problems.especially with cork gaskets. i usually use spray adhesive just to hold it in place on the block and a dab of ultrablack rtv in the corners.
jetmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
roccaas

Interestingly this pan had NO gasket (cork or otherwise) when I took it down.

Thanks for the advice on the front bolts, I'll try that first since that is the area of leakage.
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Question Re: Permatex for oil pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
Interestingly this pan had NO gasket (cork or otherwise) when I took it down.

Thanks for the advice on the front bolts, I'll try that first since that is the area of leakage.
QUESTION?????

When you say "Permatex", What kind do you meen? Are you using Permatex Brand RTV Silicone or some other Permatex product?

Also, did you replace the pan without a gasket?

I always use gaskets and a little liquid or spray sealer just to hold things in place. I do not like to use RTV Silicone except may be for just a little in the corners as has been previously suggested.

Today, some people try to use RTV Silicone on everything and often without using a gasket. There may be applications that this may work OK but this is not one of them.

Just my opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Kevin - Illinois

I used clothes pins on my Snyder cork gasket to hold it in place as I lifted the pan into position. The only sealant I used was at the edges of the front rope seal where it meets the gasket, and in the back where the gasket meets the cork gasket. I was careful to watch the gasket as I tightened the bolts to assure I wasn't pinching it. No leaks at all...
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
lindy williams

since the leak is on the right front, you probably have a slight misalignment between the bottom of the side timing cover and the oil pan.
sometimes you can loosen all the bolts attaching the side timing cover and then tighten the oil pan bolts in that area or remove the side timing cover and seal it where it meets the pan.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote