Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Engine Break-In Conflicting Advice

FWIW. My A and P told that to break in a new Lycoming H2AD 4cyl opposed 0-320 I had to fly the hell out of it for about four hrs. This was on Mineral oil. Then after ten hrs, change to 50W15 aeroshell. Yeah, yeah I know, this isn't an airplane! But it worked, the new engine worked well right up until the crash (400 hrs) Yet this advice runs opposite to everything I ever heard. You break new engines in slow, don't go over 30 or was it 40 mph for this first 500 miles. Yet, some people say if you break them in fast, they'll be fast, if you break them in slow, they'll be slow. Which is correct and for which application?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #22
skip
Banned

Begs the question,
How did Ford do the break in when the engine was hooked up to an electric 20 hp motor and an amp gauge? Fully oiled and watered, but no spark or kaboom in the cylinders. I know this really is not the case here but...

And what does the 1929 owners manual say about break in?

This manual says on page 10, quote...

"The Owner's Responsibility in Care for the car
A new machine requires more careful attention during the first few days it is being driven than after the parts have been thoroughly "worked in". To obtain best results, a new car should not be driven faster than 30 to 35 miles per hour for the first 500 miles. The oil in the engine should be changed as described on page 13 under Draining the Oil Pan. Never start out with your car until you are sure it has plenty of oil, water and gasoline.

Se that an air pressure of 35 pounds is maintained in all tires. Under inflation causes more tire expense than anything else.
Inspect your battery every two weeks and keep it filled to the proper level with distilled water. If the water is allowed to evaporate below the top of the plates the battery will be seriously affected.

Let the Ford dealer go over your car once a month, making any mechanical adjustments necessary to keep your car in proper running order." End quote.

I'm thinking also that Ford put this in the owner's manual to break in the 'T" driver and have them learn how to drive the "A" car. I mean these new 'A' drivers were one pedel short!! Snickering...

skip.

Last edited by skip; 06-06-2010 at 09:53 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #23
30Tudor

I am thinking the Ford specified breakin proceedure is not only in respect of the engine but the rest of the drivetrain. It is interesting that Ford specified not driving faster than 35MPH, however, they didn't specify how it should be driven under 35MPH - gentle, moderate or hard. This is a very interesting discussion and I sure am learning alot. Thanks
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote