Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
davepoe

Default Accel brkt clearance to firewall.

Need some help -- have a 29 Roadster and my accel brkt is touching (drivers side) the firewall. I've made sure the engine is seated correctly on the mounts,and tried torqueing the front mount down, but can not fix the condition. Any ideas?
davepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
30blutudor

Default Re: Accel brkt clearance to firewall.

In my experience with this problem. You may need to bend the bracket. They have a tendency to get bent when pulling the engine. Upon doing this check to make sure that your throttle opens and closes fully as this will have an effect on that also.
30blutudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Hunter

I'm not sure where your clearance problem lies, but I had a similiar problem with my 29 coupe until I discovered that it had an acclerator bracket for a later year. The piece that the accelerator pedal attached to was curved versus what I needed had a straight piece. The problem was that the notch in the firewall did not line up with the piece to which the pedal was attached. See the judging standards as it shows the correct bracked for the various years/months to make sure you have the proper bracket for a 29.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
...The problem was that the notch in the firewall did not line up with the piece to which the pedal was attached. ...

Hunter
Note though that the notch in the firewall was stamped all the way through 1929, even though later throttle assemblies didn't fit into the notch. My guess is it wasn't considered important enough to change the dies.

I had to fine-tune my throttle bracket on both sides. I removed it and put it in the vise, and used a Crescent wrench to tweak it. The forgings are tough but will bend. I ended up with about 1/8" clearance between the bracket and the sheet metal on both sides.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Greg out west

Hi Dave,,

Have you removed the body ?. I went to remount the body on my 30 coupe and the accellerator didn't work properly..

It worked before ! Turned out to be the rubber pad's on the body block's were too thin. I happened to look at the old original "Pad's" noticed how much thicker they were...

Installed the correct thickness of pad's and the accelator now work's correctly.. could that be what happened to your A ?

Greg out west,
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote