Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Dave Pratt - IL

Default What rivet gun to buy?

I am looking to buy a rivet gun. I need to be able to set the rivets in the frame, floor pans, seat riser etc. Can one rivet gun do it all? I looked at the Big Flats Rivet web site and see that it needs to take .401" tools. I see 3X and 4X guns on Ebay that take this tool size. I also see that some have a "feathering trigger". Any input appreciated.
Dave Pratt - IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: What rivet gun to buy?

There are two type of air hammers/ rivet guns.

There are the aircraft type. They have about a 1/2 diameter piston and the number indicates the length of throw. They are kind of calibrated and there is a chart aircraft mechanics follow to properly set the AL rivets.

There are also the automotive guns. They have a 5/8" diameter piston and come in different lengths. The longer the length and the heavier the piston the more energy per hit. The automotive types (non X type) will give you more energy per hit.

Rivets have to be set in the correct amount of hits or the metal work hardens and you will go no further.

I am not expert in setting rivets so I can go no further. I do know having a 3 or 4" throw hammer is an advantage for getting spring perches and other stuck things to move. I recently used by 4" automotive to set some waffle rivets. It only took a few hits to do a nice set. I practiced some first and found I could easily over set the rivet with the long throw.

I learned about the long throws by accident. I bought a pile of tools cheap once and it had one in it. I have since bought a couple more that were VERY cheap. The name brand ones have a pretty good resale value on ebay. They show up at flea markets at reasonable prices (less than $10) and do not have much to go wrong. They are easy to spot with the long noses.

My guess is the long throw automotive is more useful overall in the garage over the aircraft X type. This is not based on facts, just my intuition.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I don't know that I am an expert either however we have done more than 'quite a few' but I'll see if I can offer some advice learned on the ones we have done. I own a 2X, a 3X, and 4X gun, ...and generally speaking, a 3X with plenty of air will suffice. What happens if you use a 4X on rivets used in sheetmetal is the head is flattened but the shank of the rivet does not swell properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1694.jpg (40.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1693.jpg (45.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1695.jpg (49.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1696.jpg (41.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1699.jpg (50.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (54.7 KB, 43 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Dave Pratt - IL

Thanks guys.
Dave Pratt - IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Model A Man

how about a picture of what the rivet guns look like? That way if i come across one at a swap I will know what i am looking at
thanks
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
how about a picture of what the rivet guns look like? That way if i come across one at a swap I will know what i am looking at
thanks
Better yet, search for it on eBay. Much better chance of finding a deal there unless the swap meet is close to a locality that does aero work.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote