Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Insurance Companies...

Been contemplating on changing my insurance from J. C. Taylor to Grundy World Wide.

Can anyone comment on the two or do you have another company that may be better and why?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
JoeWay

Default Re: Insurance Companies...

One of our club members recently had occcasion to make a claim on their Grundy insurance and is not just satisfied with but amazed by the level of service. His experience makes me very happy that I also have Grundy.

Joe

PS. You know him well, Steve--call him and ask him about it. JW
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

STATE FARM.. I dropped JC Taylor. as soon as they asked me how much i drove that was it. i told them it was my daily driver and approx 5k a year.. they said SORRY NO INSURANCE. I told them do you realize how many of your members drive daily, she said not that they were aware of and if i wanted JC then i can ONLY drive to shows and an occational sunday outing. I called my State Farm Agent and he said..Drive to your hearts content and enjoy it your fully covered.
My wife's roadster which is being restored IS insured by them as they do insure cars while being worked on BUT when she is done, state farm for that on also. To be honest i was really taken aback when JC told me that, and I also called Grundy and the rest and i was told the same thing. My insurance on my Fordor is 72.00 per 6 months,.
Thats my opinion!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
JoeWay

Mark has a good point. Grundy is not as restrictive as JC Taylor, but still they do not cover daily drivers.

My Model A use falls well within Grundy's restrictions, but I put my restorodded '52 Chevy 3/4 ton truck on my regular insurance to allow any use at all including towing our 5th wheel. It cost more than Mark's Fordor because I have it covered for the appraised value, but it's still not that bad.

Joe
Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
msmaron

My issue is that i drive my car a lot, almost everyday if i can and i need to be insured for that, that is the ONLY reason i went back to state farm. But DON'T Lie to them, be honest and each company is within a very close price to each other.
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
roccaas

I've been very satisfied with Hagerty, especially their towing services. I also appreciate all that they do for the hobby (or avocation if you have the time and money to move beyond hobby).
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have grundy and very happy, no mileage limitations per year(that does not mean you can use it as everyday driver) agreed value also. they agreed the value of my A without any pics or documentation. i believe if its older than a certain year documents are not required. my buddy had a model A and got caught in a shop fire where he was getting the car worked on about 2 years ago. he had grundy with agreed value of 35,000. YES I SAID 35,000. the car didnt burn it was just heat smoke and water damage etc chrome rusted and so forth. grundy paid him the agreed value right away and then went after there losses from the shops insurance company. i highly recommend them and i have mine agreed value for 48,000. YES i said 48,000.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
SteveM

I have mine on my regular policy with all my other cars. The insurer is Travellers. You get discounts for more cars, and there was no mileage or use restrictions. I have not had to make any claims, so I can't tell you anything about service.

When I called one of the specialty insurers, they said I could NEVER drive the car to work (or to dinner, or pretty much anywhere but a show).

There is a local cruise night near my office during the week. If I wanted to go, I would have to drive to work in my regular car (20 miles), drive home, then drive the A back to the office in evening rush hour traffic and go up the street to the cruise night. Then go home (probably about 1/2 hour after I go there, as it would be pretty late by then).

The agent confirmed that, yes, that was what I had to do.

My dad had the car with Amica. No restrictions there either, IIRC.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I have mine on my regular policy with all my other cars. The insurer is Travellers. You get discounts for more cars, and there was no mileage or use restrictions. I have not had to make any claims, so I can't tell you anything about service.

When I called one of the specialty insurers, they said I could NEVER drive the car to work (or to dinner, or pretty much anywhere but a show).

There is a local cruise night near my office during the week. If I wanted to go, I would have to drive to work in my regular car (20 miles), drive home, then drive the A back to the office in evening rush hour traffic and go up the street to the cruise night. Then go home (probably about 1/2 hour after I go there, as it would be pretty late by then).

The agent confirmed that, yes, that was what I had to do.

My dad had the car with Amica. No restrictions there either, IIRC.

Steve
steve just make sure you have a agreed value on your classic car. if something happens where your car is totaled youll get screwed if you dont.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Deluxe Delivery Don

Hello Steve , My modern iron policy I have been with Safeco Ins. for 40 years and I put my Delivery on the same policy . Because I have been a good customer for such a long time they gave me a great rate on the Delivery. I can't drive them all at once. You being in a rural area your rates could be a lot cheaper.
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Hotrodladycrusr

Grundy and Haggerty both top notch. I switched from Hagerty to Grundy many years ago just because of cost. Grundy was about half the cost for the exact same coverage.

The most important factor like others have said is make sure it's an AGREED Value Policy. Don't let your insurance agent talk you into anything else or tell you the policies are all the same. They are not.

There are NO restrictions on where/when you can drive your car with Grundy EXCEPT the race track. You must have an insured daily driver and a locked garage. You MAY drive to work once in a while, you may drive to dinner with the wife or ice cream with the kids. Does not strickly have to be a show or parade.

Grundy is aware I have over 104,000 miles on my car with them that I put on over the last 8 years. As long as I don't use it as my daily driver I can drive it anywhere, and I do.

www.Grundy.com

www.hagerty.com

Will only take you seconds to get an online quote.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Bruce Adams

I use Hagerty which supports the hobby through influencing legislation and such.

They have "Agreeded Upon Value" and are not restrictive on driving, and offer towing services as well as their expected functions as an insurance Carrier.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
hotrodart

I have had Grundy for about 20 years......but, I have had no claims. They are very good about increasing the "Agreed Value" when substantive improvements are made......no questions asked.

I guess they are all great companies until you need them to settle up. They all take readily take your money......
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Michael in Sedona

I have Hagerty on 2 cars. No claims yet, but I like their renewal process. They've called me a couple of times when the renewal date is close, and have suggested that I might want to consider raising the Declared Value of the cars, and have given me a phone quote on what the additional premium would be.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I have had Haggerty for several years, good service.

I have been told that Grundy is very good. If you live in the Midwest, Continental Western Group is a good carrier too.

The key to the whole thing is AGREED VALUE COVERAGE between you and the company when the policy is issued. Appraisals. Photo documentation.

Read the car magazines about last January's big storm that hit Scottsdale, Arizona during the auction week. (Barrett-Jackson, Russo and Steele, etc.). Car owners with name brand insurance carriers (Hartford, State Farm, Country Mutual, etc. etc.) got a BIG surprise when they tried to file a claim. They found out that the STATED value coverage isn't worth a damn to the owner, that it is up to the discretion of the APPRAISER who works in the interests of the INS. COMPANY------surprised?------who will greatly undercut you, the owner, while he gets a bonus from the Company for screwing you. The last issue of Muscle Car Enthusiast had a big feature on this very story. Lawsuits still pending but they are fruitless.

Just because "I only pay $50 bucks every six months for coverage" or whatever does not mean you will be fairly compensated for damages.

I can guarantee, you will NOT. That 1930 Fordor is just another old car to Big Name Ins. Co. Restored? Oh well, $5,000 is more than enough for that old thing what ya gonna do, sue us?? Ha. Go ahead. You accepted stated value and we have stated the value. If you don't like it, tough.
Jeff I completely agree with you about State Farm, I have been with SF sense I was 16 years old and my agent told me yes we will insure it but it would be better off somewhere else. Unless you have it professionally appraised (at my cost) they would probably write me a check for a couple thousand dollars as it was an 80 year old car.

She suggested Hagerty, all they needed was a picture, a value I put on the car, a locked place to store the car and proof that I owned a daily driver. I was told I could drive it anywhere anytime just so it was not my primary car. $200.00 a year gets me full coverage with a replacement value of $18500.00 and ends up being about half of what State farm was charging with really no coverage at all on your vehicle.

I would advise anyone with State Farm or some other major carrier to ask their agent specifically what will happen if I total my car…you might be surprised at the answer.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Been contemplating on changing my insurance from J. C. Taylor to Grundy World Wide.

Can anyone comment on the two or do you have another company that may be better and why?

Thanks.

Pluck
If I may ask, why do you want to change from J.C. Taylor to Grundy?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
You're absolutely right Dusty. Nothing against State Farm they are great for your home and everday auto, but I would seriously check the specialty carriers on auto insurance for your antique cars.

Our Haggerty policy does not specify limited use and you can use the car for any fun driving as long as you prove that you have an everyday driver. Here in Illinois, the cars sit from November to April and you don't have the hassle of calling your agent every spring and fall to 'put the car back on' or 'take the car back off.' Haggerty doesn't care when you use the car, common sense just says around these parts to leave 'em off the road in the winter.

Our '69 Mach 1 was appraised at $36,000 and the coverage is $230 / year, as an example.

You guys can do what you want, but it would behoove you to read what happened to all those folks in Arizona last January who DIDN'T have a specialy insurance carrier. Lots of tears were flowin'.
Yes, Yes, Yes, State Farm has served me well and I am now 57 years old, but if I had run head-on into a tree and totaled my car I would have been basically out of luck and this was straight from the agent’s mouth. I will reinstate it again, you had better asked the question about your Model A(or whatever) because all agents may not be as informed or as honest as mine. Also a call directly to corporate headquarters might be the best move.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
Afordman31

Myself, My Dad, and My buddy have Grundy. Have had for quite a few years. My buddy had a claim and had no problems. We do not have daily drivers insured with them. Grundy is well recommended in my book.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
PC/SR

I have Hagerty, but they do not cover races or "timed events" and the rep specifically said that they would not cover a recent hillclimb. For that I went to my regular insurer, which covers everything, paid for regular coverage, then cancelled after the event and got a refund. This was the regular insurer's agent's idea and I thank him for it.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
John LaVoy

We switched to Grundy because of the mileage issue with JC Taylor and have been very pleased.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
dan

It's kind of a bummer to have to decide between "full coverage" and driving your car "normally"

I plan to drive my A to work pretty regularly (I know, I know--heresy to some here ), which means that the specialty insurers are right out. But everything I've read and heard from my insurer says that coverage under my regular insurance probably isn't going to cover the full cost of the car if it's totaled.

Is there anyone who has had a claim with their regular insurance on their A who can report on how it was handled? Or anyone who can offer a third option?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
msmaron

All of these answers are GREAT, but NO one has tackled the issues of those of us who use them as Daily Drivers. That is important to get someone what will insure you and Grundy and JC will NOT...so what say you all ???
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
All of these answers are GREAT, but NO one has tackled the issues of those of us who use them as Daily Drivers. That is important to get someone what will insure you and Grundy and JC will NOT...so what say you all ???
The way my agent explained it to me (State Farm) I had to get a professional appraisal of my car and it was at my expense. They would than insure my car for that value, of course as time passes and value increases you would have to revisit the appraisal process.

Keep I mind also that it won’t be typically cheap antique insurance but more in line with insuring your modern iron if not a little more.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Brad in Germany

Default Insuring a Model A while assigned with the US Army in Germany

I have my two Model A's insured through USAA here in Germany with US Forces, Germany historic license plates (the first one's ever issued). With USAA, you can put the cars in "temporary storage status" to reduce the insurance down to a nominal fee (must be stored in a locked garage and can not enter a public road). Then when you want to drive it, simply go on-line and take the car out of the temporary storage status. When not in temp. storage, there are no restrictions on mileage or anything else. When I'm finished driving them for a while (if I go on vacation, get deployed, tear the engine apart, or it is snowing outside for example) then I simply park the cars in the locked garage, go on-line and put them in "temporary status" again. The insurance rate then drops to the minimum nominal fee. You can even put them in and out of temp storage status on a daily basis if desired, since the process is done entirely on-line.

Grundy World Wide, by the way, is not "World Wide" . I tried to insure my two Model A's through them here in Germany....and...ooops, they really are not "World Wide". The "World Wide" part is for cars that are based permanently in the US that are taken out of the US for brief periods of time for rallies or shows, etc. The car must be returned however to the US with in an established time period (I can not remember what the time period was, but it was way shorter than a tour with the Army overseas).

Fordially,
Brad in Germany

PS: Historic license plates or "H" plates here in Germany have no kilometer limitations or other restrictions. The "H" just allows you to pass relaxed vehicle inspection standard, commensurate with the era of the vehicle.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
The way my agent explained it to me (State Farm) I had to get a professional appraisal of my car and it was at my expense. They would than insure my car for that value, of course as time passes and value increases you would have to revisit the appraisal process.

Keep I mind also that it won’t be typically cheap antique insurance but more in line with insuring your modern iron if not a little more.

This is exactly what i was told also, and i found that Grundy and JC will not allow me to drive all i want, That was my only issue that i had with them
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
Jason in TX

Brad - Is your plate similar to this one on my roadster?

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album....pictureid=1371

Oh. Actually I see you have an "H" plate.

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Brad in Germany

Elrod,

Nope....your's is expired! I have almost a complete series of these US Forces Germany plates hanging on the wall in my office.

The current US Forces Germany plates look like normal German plates. The "H" plates just have an "H" as the last digit. Mine are similar to this one:

Fordially,
Brad in Germany
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #28
Franchise_24

Question Re: Insurance Companies...

I have JC Taylor, you decide what the car is worth and then pay the premium accordingly. Perhaps I need to look my policy over, but from what you guys are saying it sounds like if I want to take it out after dinner for a ride around the nieghborhood I'm not covered doing so? Can anyone elaborate?

Neal
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #29
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
I have JC Taylor, you decide what the car is worth and then pay the premium accordingly. Perhaps I need to look my policy over, but from what you guys are saying it sounds like if I want to take it out after dinner for a ride around the nieghborhood I'm not covered doing so? Can anyone elaborate?

Neal
You'll have to look at the details of your specific policy. From my research, I think most classic car policies cover some "pleasure" driving as well as trips to car shows, as long as you don't exceed the milage limits. What they don't seem to cover (at all) is the occasional use for driving to or from your place of employment. So if you are ever, even once, going to take your car to work, no dice.

For instance, if you were going to go to dinner with Model A compatriots after work, you couldn't drive your A to work and then to dinner. You'd have to return home and switch cars. IMO that sucks
Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
You'll have to look at the details of your specific policy. From my research, I think most classic car policies cover some "pleasure" driving as well as trips to car shows, as long as you don't exceed the milage limits. What they don't seem to cover (at all) is the occasional use for driving to or from your place of employment. So if you are ever, even once, going to take your car to work, no dice.

For instance, if you were going to go to dinner with Model A compatriots after work, you couldn't drive your A to work and then to dinner. You'd have to return home and switch cars. IMO that sucks
Thanks Dan I'll have to look into it. I'm sure if I call them they can send me another copy of my policy, I have no idea where my copy is from 4 years ago...

Neal
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #31
Deluxe Delivery Don

Brad brings up a thought about taking a car out of country. The National Meet in Canada this summer would your Insurance be valid there if you needed it. If any one that is going they should find out if there Insurance is valid before they go.
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #32
Nick in Fayetteville

As an Insurance Adjuster, I can tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about. Adjuster and Appraisers do not get any cut of the Insured's settlement. Personally, I think you owe everyone in the claims business an apology. You are talking about something that you have absolutly no knowledge of....
Nick in Fayetteville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #33
Dennis L Oberer

Default Re: Insurance Companies...For upper Midwest Owners

For those in WIsconsin try American Family...I got a great rate for the coupe and tudor and for agreed upon value. I just put the value on it and provided them an email pic. I think they do business in IL, MN, and MI.

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #34
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post

If you want to drive your A as any other car, why would you expect the insurance to any different (cheaper) then any other daily driver.

Or are you saying that no insurance company will write you a policy?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #35
sonny30coupe

I use Farmers and put mine on my regular policy and can drive it any time I want with no restrictions..and it is cheap!! I have agreed value with pics I sent them.
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #36
Colorado Greg

I just aquired collectors insurance for two vehicles that I have. '29 A coupe and a '79 Dodge Lil Red Express. The Model A is restored but the Lil Red only has all of the running gear restored so far, motor, trans, rear end, suspension etc..(needs paint basically)

I priced this out with both Grundy and Hagerty. Grundy was $200/yr and Hagerty was $300/yr for the same coverage for both vehicles. Well duh, I sent all the required info/photos to Grundy and they refused to cover the Lil Red since it was not restored. I informed them that it was complete minus paint and they said sorry, contact them when vehicle is complete. I then sent the same info/photos to Hagerty and had coverage in two days without so much as a question about the Lil Red.

I'm not sure what Grundy was hung up on, but Hagerty took care of me promptly.

edit; by the way, the photos of the Model A were w/o the gas tank as I have it out of the car for cleaning/sealing. They didn't say anything about that.
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #37
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
You mean you weren't at a club event to get more members at your place of work before going to the meeting to report your success?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny30coupe View Post
I use Farmers and put mine on my regular policy and can drive it any time I want with no restrictions..and it is cheap!! I have agreed value with pics I sent them.
I think this is what Franchise 24 was asking about.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #39
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
...I sent all the required info/photos to Grundy and they refused to cover the Lil Red since it was not restored. I informed them that it was complete minus paint and they said sorry, contact them when vehicle is complete.
That's strange. I applied to Grundy after I had the paint and body work done and setting on the restored chassis. My agent said they questioned the value when he turned in the application for my in-progress Tudor and wanted to know where the restoration stood. I wrote up a description of the status and the parts on hand (upholstery kit, chromed bumpers, all nickel items, etc., and they came back with the suggestion that I increase the insurance amount I had requested, and advise them when it was together. Maybe it was the paint that made the difference, but it sure wasn't finished--and still isn't.

Joe
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
If you want to drive your A as any other car, why would you expect the insurance to any different (cheaper) then any other daily driver.

Or are you saying that no insurance company will write you a policy?
The problem isn't that no one will write you a policy, it's that some of us can't seem to find a policy that covers us completely--at any price.

From my research it seems as though a standard policy will cover you for accidents but not the "replacement value" of your car. State Farm, GEICO, etc will be happy to take your money and cover a minor accident/repair but they're going to "total" the vehicle for what they say an 80-year-old car is worth. So for example, have a fender bender that results in over 3000 worth of repairs (and with body shop/painting prices these days, that doesn't take much) they're going to write your car off.

And if you go with "classic" insurance, if you use the car for anything other than "events" or occasional pleasure driving, you're not covered. So even a trip to work once a year on a particularly fine Spring day isn't covered, and taking your car to work so you can go somewhere afterward without returning home for your A isn't covered.

I wouldn't complain about the cost of insurance (I find auto insurance quite affordable compared to what I pay to insure my bike), but I want my car covered for full value if it's totaled, and I want to be able to drive it whenever and whereever I want. So far I haven't been able find such a policy.

I'm finding this especially frustrating since I'm in the market for my first A right now and am trying to resolve this issue before I buy.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #41
skip
Banned

I just added the 'A' to my State Farm policy, it's just another car.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #42
raceron1120

I got a policy with Grundy's after checking both them and Hagerty, which cost a bit more. Grundy coverage is just what I want - which is not daily driving, and the premium is a bit over 1% of the agreed value.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #43
Jerry Parr WI

When I had teenage sons driving I had a number of antique and 60's collector cars insured with State Farm. They wrote agreed value policies on all of them. The price varied with use and restricted use got cheaper rates. My agent claimed to have written more agreed value policies on late model Corvettes than any other agent. I did have other agents tell me they could not write those policies. I switched to Grundy after I retired as they were cheaper if you have multiple cars and have no mileage limits. I never drive to work.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
The problem isn't that no one will write you a policy, it's that some of us can't seem to find a policy that covers us completely--at any price.
THANK YOU!! Not being in that situation I was unaware of the value issue. If only the DMV would take your insurance agents estimate of worth when they tax the car!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #45
Don/WI

I have used Hagerty for years. Fortunately I have never had a claim. Hope I never do! Am pleased with the cost and coverage. My brother and son both use Hagerty also. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #46
Bob Bidonde

I switched from J. C. Taylor to Grundy to take advantage of lower cost for my two Model"A's." I had J. C. Taylor for 27 years! Shortly after the switch, my Coupe was hit by a car that ran a red light. Grundy had an appraiser at my garage in a few days, and I had a reimbursement check within two weeks. My rate did not increase, and Grundy did not drop me.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #47
Mike in NRN IN

American Collector's Insurance - I have not had a claim yet, but I like the policy.

Could not afford to insure with GEICO (my other cars.)
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #48
Ford46

Some states also have use restrictions on their plates. Someone stated that insurance carrier said no everyday driving, only to shows and occasional Sunday outing. That is exactly what some state antique plates allow. This allows you limited price insurance for limited usage.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #49
Ken B

I switched to the Barret-Jackson insurance through Chartis. They don't have and exclusions for mileage driven or the age of the drivers as long as they are licensed. I have a daughter that will be driving soon and just about all the other carriers required the drivers to be at least 25 years old and at least 5 years driving experience when I inquired about my child driving. They also cover you when traveling in trips out of state and country if you decide to go to Canada or even Mexico.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote