Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Long shaft distributor

So the Ace Mechanic is off to help a friend fix a guys car. It has Model A works in the distributor with modern plate, points and condensor. We cranked it over with the cap off and observe the points opening normally and everything appears good to go. It isn't. I pulled the coil lead and there is little or no spark when I hold the lead near a head bolt. Spark is blue, but will only jump about 1/8 inch when cranking it over with the starter.
Opened the distributor and break the points with a screw driver and get a weak spark every once in a while. On my car if I do the same I get a spark that will jump 1/4 inch with each breaking of the points and I hear a loud "snap" with each spark..
Measured the voltage at the points and it is close to 6V, but on the low side, not over 6V. I am working with an electrical engineer who tells me that is enough, which I still question, and feel something still is being missed in our diagnisis. Try to use my distributor, but when we pull his we find it has a long shaft, I have two shafts so we try to remove his long shaft and replace my short one with his long shaft. Can't get his off. I went home to get the lower shaft for the two-piece distributor drive and find I don't have any in my spare pile, so we quit for the day. I really think a stronger battery may solve the problem, but since we can see a spark at the coil lead, that tell them there is plenty of juice. What are we missing? (I claim no expertice with electrical things. Just yesterday I tried to start my coupe with stocking feet and got a real jolt into my foot. A totally different problem.)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #2
old ugly

Default Re: Long shaft distributor

those modern points sometimes melt the plastic follower/rubbing block, if that happens check that the points aren't shorting against anything in the distributor.
6 volts is lot of power to create spark.
try your coil on his car.
maybe the condenser, you can try yours in his car as well.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:44 PM   #3
Patrick L.

What is the voltage at the points arm with them closed ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
w.michael

You can probably reach down in the distributor hole on your engine with needle nosed pliers and pick the lower shaft out of your engine. Sometimes it’s stuck too tight to pick out, but most of the time you can get it. And if you haven’t already, sand or file the points very lightly.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
daveymc29

New points, will try a different coil before tearing into more engines.

Thanks
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:03 PM   #6
rotorwrench

A person should always keep a spare A&L condenser or two. A person can test them with a capacitor tester or do the R&R with a new one to test.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote