Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #21
John Stone

Default Re: Seat Belt Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I believe maybe some of this advice has kinda gone "off-topic" here. Did I not read the initial question from Mr. Stone was how to install belts on a 400A (Convertible Sedan), a Victoria, or a DeLuxe Phaeton that has the floor pan? Allow me to post a picture showing what the floor pan looks like so some can see the differences between this body and others and why some of the comments might not apply very well...

Thanks Brent for this post and the picture. I thought everyone knew the difference between the early to late Model A's but I was mistaken.

In all the above discussion, I think I got one real answer to the question. There is not an easy solution. I will have to just climb under my car and see what I can come up with. Do hate to do too much to the carpet.

Thanks again.
John
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

What holds the floor pan to the sub-frame. Years ago when I installed seat belts in my 32 coupe I used 3/8's steel plate abot 6'x6' under the floor pan and attached belts to the mounting studs. Things were simplier then and at age 16 really didn't do it for safety, it was "cool" back then I'd do something similar in your400A just to keep you in the car. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
What holds the floor pan to the sub-frame. Years ago when I installed seat belts in my 32 coupe I used 3/8's steel plate abot 6'x6' under the floor pan and attached belts to the mounting studs. Things were simplier then and at age 16 really didn't do it for safety, it was "cool" back then I'd do something similar in your400A just to keep you in the car. JMO
Paul in CT
Thanks for the response but if I read your post right, that steel plate weighed over 500 lbs. Not sure I want to try to lift it.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #24
1931 flamingo

John: My mistake, meant 6"x6" x3/8" thick. Sorry
Paul in CT
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
John Stone

Quote:
John: My mistake, meant 6"x6" x3/8" thick. Sorry
Paul in CT
The pan is held in by nails. Not something I would trust. However, I would trust the 6'X6' plate.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

John, to "chase a rabbit", it just dawned on me that the picture I posted of the car we restored is the same color combo as your car. Very stunning color in my views...

Something else, is your wood new or is it original? Why I am asking is do you think it would have bearing on the strength to hold the belt hardware?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #27
John Stone

I do get a lot of nice comments about the color.

It has new wood.

I believe the side rails are stong enough with a big fender washer underneath but the center cross member under the seat might not be. There isn't a lot of room on the center seat rest plate. It looks like you would have to use the same bolt for both seat belts and then go through the floor pan at an angle to avoid the drive shaft and fashion some kind of bracket that is fastened to the center wood cross member. Of course it has to be reinforced in some manner probably with an angle iron going the full span and bolted to the side rails. In Wichita I can always find an aircraft stress engineer. They always like a challenge. Fastening directly to the floor pan is not the answer.

Oh yes, I have most of a set of used wood. Does anyone want it? All you have to do it pick it up.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #28
1931 flamingo

I'm not that familiar with A400 floor (looks recessed, but best bet would (if possible) run a small "I-beam or double I-beam across and attach to the top frame rail from underneath, if you mount to the lower frame rail it's a stretch to where you can attach s/belt anchors, that's why i suggested floor pan. Is there a way to place a steel plate over the subrail portion (sandwich the subrail) in the area of floorpan and then install the s/belt plates. Of course the biggest problem (opportunity) is that yours is a finished car.
Paul in CT
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #29
John Stone

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with A400 floor (looks recessed, but best bet would (if possible) run a small "I-beam or double I-beam across and attach to the top frame rail from underneath, if you mount to the lower frame rail it's a stretch to where you can attach s/belt anchors, that's why i suggested floor pan. Is there a way to place a steel plate over the subrail portion (sandwich the subrail) in the area of floorpan and then install the s/belt plates. Of course the biggest problem (opportunity) is that yours is a finished car.
Paul in CT
There just isn't a lot of room for reinforcing. You really need to look at both the top and the bottom to get an appreciation of the problem.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
ryan1929

I can understand why you guys put seat belts in your cars down in the lower 48. The traffic is crazy and the drivers are nuts. I drive a Semi from Canada to Houston Every week. But up heer in canada the people are friendly and I will never put seat belts in my A it just ruins the originality.
ryan1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #31
Jim Brierley

John, I lied, the angle iron is what I put on my speedster. It stretches between the frame rails and is bolted to the underside of the top rail, there is plenty of drive shaft clearance. On the '30 tudor I merely bolted them to the existing body rail. It may not be the strongest place but I figure it would hold in most cases? At least it makes me feel secure.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
Clydes 31 P/U

Just thinking around this seat belt problem of limited space between frame and floor pans for steel supports for the belt anchors. Would it be possible to use 2" webbing that is used for ratchet straps, doubled and bolted to frame on each side then bolted to floor pan at needed locations then bolt the seat belt through the floor pan and webbing? I've had the local canvas shop cut and shorten my tie down straps and resewn them and then would be possible to make plates like the body mount ends of seat belts for the lower strap to bolt to floor pan. I've seen people draw things and post them here but thats way beyond me. I hope I've gotten my thoughts across and not confused or confounded too many people...........Clyde
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #33
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydes 31 P/U View Post
Just thinking around this seat belt problem of limited space between frame and floor pans for steel supports for the belt anchors. Would it be possible to use 2" webbing that is used for ratchet straps, doubled and bolted to frame on each side then bolted to floor pan at needed locations then bolt the seat belt through the floor pan and webbing? I've had the local canvas shop cut and shorten my tie down straps and resewn them and then would be possible to make plates like the body mount ends of seat belts for the lower strap to bolt to floor pan. I've seen people draw things and post them here but thats way beyond me. I hope I've gotten my thoughts across and not confused or confounded too many people...........Clyde
Interesting concept however when the seat belts come under load, the floor pan would just bend. The force is perpendicular to the pan and it needs to be restrained along the belt, not at right angles.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #34
barkleydave

I recently obtained a 29 closed cab pickup. It is a beauty and is currently getting some minor upgrades at an Old School restoration shop. I asked about seat belts and I was advised that they DO NOT install them and that was the end of the discussion.

So as stated in other posts I seem to be on my own! I understand that belts need to be anchored to a frame member and not just to the body. Years ago I installed lap belts in a foreign sports car. Since it had a tunnel it was not difficult to secure them with the included hardware and large grade 8 bolts and shoulder washer.

Would like to hear how some may have installed lap belts in a pickup. I assume the frame and cross members might be different and even stronger?

thanks
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #35
1931 flamingo

WELCOME !
There is a liability issue on their part.
Do a "search", many, many threads on seat belts.
Paul in CT
Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1929 View Post
I can understand why you guys put seat belts in your cars down in the lower 48. The traffic is crazy and the drivers are nuts. I drive a Semi from Canada to Houston Every week. But up heer in canada the people are friendly and I will never put seat belts in my A it just ruins the originality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgaZMSjhpH8

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Synchro909

John Kuhnast. Pls check your PMs
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #38
huddy

I think what you need to keep in mind is that in what would be termed a "survivable" traffic collision (by modern auto standards, not antiques) the passenger can easily experience 15 to 30 g's of deceleration. This means that an average 170 pound adult will exert between 2,500 and 5,000 pounds of force on the restraint system for that short deceleration interval. If you are designing a restraint system (e.g. seatbelt) however you attach it and the associated structure should be able to withstand a ton or two of force. This is not a problem for the SAE 1/4-20 bolt fastening the seat belt but it might be a big problem for the structure it is attached to.

For the deceleration values, do a Google on "auto collison deceleration" and you'll get a bunch of references; I did a bit of Kentucky windage and averaged the range of numbers. By modern standards, I'm referring to cars that have "crush zones" and other protective design features that are missing from our antiques. The forces are likely worse in the older cars.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

"This is not a problem for the SAE 1/4-20 bolt fastening the seat belt"

I would think a 3/8" grade 8 bolt would be the minimum size anchor bolt.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #40
barkleydave

I appreciate the input.... I am going to install lap belts. The discussion is interesting and no the cars were not engineered for them. The liability issue is the least of my concerns.

After spending 30 years in Law Enforcement... "Better tried by 12 than carried by 6" stand out.

Now if the pan bends in a crash that will actually absorb some of the inertia of the crash and can be a plus. Lets face it nothing would help in a side impact of much speed (no beams in doors etc) and frontal or rear above 40 MPH will likely be fatal.

For me keeping one from being ejected through windshield or out an open door is all we can expect belts to do in our A's. That alone personally is enough to justify installation.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote