Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Model A/AA Ford Museum Issue.....

By now, if not soon, most of you will be receiving in the mail a "Donor Bochure" published by MAFFI, MAFCA and MARC asking for donations to the new Model A/AA Ford Museum to be constructed on the Gilmore Car Museum Campus in Hickory Corners, Michigan with an estimated opening of June 2012.

According to the brochure, one of the donation opportunities is a "Walkway Brick", more than likely with the name of the person or club on the brick itself who donated towards the museum. Now this is all great, don't get me wrong, but it is the "intent" of just how these bricks will be laid out.

Now, how many of you have gone to a museum and seen brick walkways with names of doners on them? Most all of us have at one time. How many of you have spent the time INCHING yourself along the walkway looking down to see all of those who have dontated? Not many of us.

Now, how many of us have gone to a museum and seen brick walls with names of the doners on them? Most all of us at one time. I would bet that there just might be a little more time spent looking at a brick wall with names on it than looking down at them.

Although I have not seen one, I understand that these bricks are quite impresive.

I know it is the displays that we are looking forward to seeing in the museum, but I truly hope that those who wish to have their name engraved on one of these bricks, that they are placed in "wall" form and not in "walkway" form of display.

This is OUR museum...hopefully we have a say in issues such as this...but then again...maybe not.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: Model A/AA Ford Museum Issue.....

I can agree that it would be easier to find your own name on a wall rather than a brick lined pathway,

...but perhaps this is more about helping to build a nice brick lined pathway that everyone will enjoy than having a brick wall with a lot of names on it that most people will just walk past.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Ken Ehrenhofer

Hi Steve,
I would contact MAFFI and talk to them directly to get some answers to your questions. Some folks might want to donate a sum of money to buy a sitting bench or a table of some kind. I am, sure there are all kinds of opportunities to make donations to have a memorial plate attached to it from a deceased member of a MARC or MAFCA Region or Chapter??? I would discuss this with MAFFI.
I hope we can all participate in this wonderful tribute to our hobby,
You just have to find the way that suits you.
I remember my family donated money in memory of a family member who passed to a Gym the school built and they bought Volleyball nets for the gym.

Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
MikeK

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I make a lot of donations to organizations and projects and I enjoy being among the anonymous donors. Knowing I did it for myself is far more rewarding to me than any platinum or founding plaque, sustaining list, or brick that would show my name.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Doug Linden

I may be in the minority too, but I actually do look at the bricks in the walkways. No, I don't read everyone, but I do give them a pretty good scan. Why? don't know, curiuosity I guess. Bricks on the wall does sound like a good idea.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

I'd feel better about a museum more accessable to folks on the West Coast. Someplace you could visit over a weekend. Hickory Corners, MI is 2,400 miles from here.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Bruce,Upstate NY

Some of us in the East don't get to see some of the fabulous collections on the west coast, either. 2400 miles away. The northern Indiana area and Michigan are a center of museums and attractions to visit. There 500 miles for me and I can get there every few years.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The setting seems right, several other auto manufacturers there as well. Close to The Ford as well.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The setting seems right, several other auto manufacturers there as well. Close to The Ford as well.

I was very dissapointed whit the small number of Fords on display at The Henry Ford. All in all it is a great place to visit. If you are looking for old Fords you will go home still wanting.
There used to be a great Ford museum in Sacramento, CA called the Towe Ford Museum. It has now changed to The California Automobile Museum. Mixed brands of cars now but still a nice place to visit.
http://www.calautomuseum.org/index.html
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote