Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Dad's Dream

Default Model Identification Help

I need help identifying the attached car. It was my Dad's car before he passed I've taken it over. All I've heard is it's a 1930 Model A.

I'm guessing it's a Town Sedan but I'm not really positive.

I hauled it down to Texas from Michigan about 3 weeks ago and have been making a list of things to do to it (as well as trying to make room in the garage to work on it). The list is getting really long - but I think it'll be fun.

Thanks for your help,

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A.jpg (58.7 KB, 240 views)
Dad's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Model Identification Help

1930 Fordor. Have any pictures of dome light, rear seat back and better picture of the top of the window opening on the doors.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Welcome to the group and hobby (or back into it) and sorry to hear about your loss. The car looks like it is in great shape and you will have a lot of fun with her.

As far as I can tell you have either a 1930 delux fourdoor a 1930 Townsedan made by Murray. If you have arched windows and the quarter windows roll down then it is a Murray, if the windows are square then it is a Briggs and the quarters will not roll down. Also, if it is a Townsedan the dome light will be above the rear window and be oval and not round.

Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Aerocraft

1930 155C Murray Town Sedan. The curve on the top of the door windows identifies it as a Murray. The cowl light indicates the Town Sedan but they could have been added. The interior should have a dome light over the rear window and a fold down arm rest in the center of the back seat. If those two items are missing, it is a Standard sedan with added cowl lights. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Dad's Dream

Thanks for the replies.

Attached are pictures of the back seat and driver's door top. It has no dome light.

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Backseat.jpg (59.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Door Top.jpg (58.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Aerocraft

Sorry, the quarter windows do not roll down on either body style in 1930. I suspect that the dome light and switch on the right B pillar was not reinstalled when the car was restored. Both could be added with some effort. Gar Williams

Last edited by Aerocraft; 10-26-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added comments
Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
1930artdeco

Aerocraft,

I thought they rolled down on Murray's? Maybe 31, cause I know they don't roll down on mine.

Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Aerocraft

I believe that feature did not become available until the slant windshield Fordor sedan. Gar Williams
Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

OK,

1930, Murray, town sedan, that is missing the dome light.

We can get you even closer to the actual date built with the engine number and a pic of the instrument panel.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
I believe that feature did not become available until the slant windshield Fordor sedan. Gar Williams
you are correct

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Dad's Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
I suspect that the dome light and switch on the right B pillar was not reinstalled when the car was restored. Both could be added with some effort. Gar Williams
So my list possibly got a little longer?

While I love historical accuracy, I might pass on adding it.

Thanks to everyone.

Gerry
Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Dad's Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
OK,

1930, Murray, town sedan, that is missing the dome light.

We can get you even closer to the actual date built with the engine number and a pic of the instrument panel.

The engine number is 4001166 and an instrument panel picture is attached (not the greatest picture).

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Instrument Panel.jpg (59.7 KB, 150 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
Big D

Engine was made 30 Sept 30. I think many forget that many times there are more "good times" in a car than facts if it's 100% orig or not.

Sorry for your lost and Enjoy the car.
Welcome to the hobby.

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
TerryH

If it is a Town Sedan, it should also have the mahogeny wood trim finish on the dash rail and also the window sills, along with pin stripe on the inside of the gas tank.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Threre you have it,

Late 1930 Murray town sedan, the instrument panel tells me that the engine is correct for the car. It was restored without the dome light?!. I few changes with the handles, woodgraining, pin stripe and you will be closer to a "proper" Town Sedan A.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
Brian SATX

Gerry I live here in San Anotnio- give me. Give me a call if you want. Check your PM list.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #17
Dan Baron

Here's my early 30 Briggs Town Sedan. Square windows and oval speedometer. 1930 Model A town sedan.jpg You can see the oval speedo behind the letter N in my name.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

Dan: That's quite a "trunk" in the front. Did you make it? or?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
41fred207

i too am new to the model A as i have just aquired what i think is a 1931 murray town sedan. arched window tops, cowl light holes, dual spare tires. the back window wood had a hinge for what i believe was a fold down armrest ?? also has window garnish mouldings that i only find listed for a slant windshield or vicky.any help identifiing would be greatly appreciated. can get more pics as needed as i don't want to buy wrong parts. ambitious project i know, but i have some experiance with a 41 fordor and 47 pick-up (both fords).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg next day 007.jpg (94.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg next day 003.jpg (65.8 KB, 73 views)
41fred207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #20
Terry, NJ

Geee Everybody has a Town Sedan! Or so it seems. Yes I have a 30 Briggs fordor with the third window, Yes I have cowl lights, Ditto on the oval light and folding armrest. Did Ford make many of the other kind?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #21
Brian SATX

Without knowing the frame number, it is hard to tell if it is a 30 or early 31. It is not a slant window. You say the rear window had a hinge. Did you mean the rear seat backrest? Based on two pictures, yes it is a town sedan- garnish below the windows, shade on quarter window, door pulls on the window frame. Looks like you have some work ahead.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Geee Everybody has a Town Sedan! Or so it seems. Yes I have a 30 Briggs fordor with the third window, Yes I have cowl lights, Ditto on the oval light and folding armrest. Did Ford make many of the other kind?
Terry
The two things that are usually missed when someone "upgrades" a Fordor to a town sedan are; the center arm rest and dome light.

Yes it can be done but it is easier to just put in an upgraded interior and cowl lights. It's a little more difficult to obtain the correct dome light, replace the wood necessary wood for the dome light and replace the back seat backrest with one that needs the arm rest.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
Chris in WNC

"While I love historical accuracy,"

easiest way to increase the historical accuracy will be to get some blackwall tires.

other than that, it looks GREAT!

welcome to the world of Model As, Gerry, have fun!

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 10-29-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #24
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

I will have to find it but I do have the cover for the light. It came out of 1929 town sedan. e-mail you address and when I find it I will sell it to you. In good shap, metal will need redone and white milk glass not a thing wrong with it. It is oval not round.

Terry Rose
5084 W. 1300N.
Milford, Indiana
[email protected]

Last edited by gunmetal blue; 10-29-2010 at 11:06 PM.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #25
Ron in Quincy

I also noticed the one piece running board shield which also indicates a late 1930 if the radiator shell is original with the car.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #26
41fred207

thank you for your input. i have received an abundance of quality information on the early v8 forum during my build on my 41 and knew i would find the same knowledgeable expertise on the A forum. you "old-timers" are a life saver to the hobby and i look forward to picking bits of info from you as i build my own piece of ford history. i realize i have quite an ambitious project ahead of me and i'm not going to jump right on it till i've done some research(and finish my 47!). as far as the body wood, i'm a carpenter of 25 years and figure what i can't make maybe i can buy. i'm not looking to build a judging standard show car, just a reliable driver i can haul the whole family in.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #27
Terry, NJ

I'm not an "old timer" I'm just a few months ahead of you. My cousin had 2 Mod AA trucks on the farm when I was a kid, but they were almost beyond repair. Other than that, I had no contact with Mod As. I was looking and a friend found one in an auction, which I won the bidding in.
Looking over the rustbucket when I got it home, I found it was pretty intact. Although it was obvious that most of the wood was rotten. If your's is like mine, your carpentry skills will be very helpful. You'll need a bandsaw and a good sander. The woodwork in the the A is more like furniture making than framing houses. The wood work in mine, in total runs about $4-5000. I have a 1930 fordor Town Sedan. Coupes and other models are cheaper. Unless you're familiar with old engines, I would let someone who knows these rebuild it. I've rebuilt a couple of dozen engines (modern) and I can do it, But....... I'm not ready to pour babbit.
Even removing the head on one of these is a ordeal. I took mine off, looked around, saw what I wanted to see and buttoned it up again, only to have it leak somewhere internally. So I'm looking at a outlay of$3000+ in that Dept. Then there's paint and bodywork, upholstery at who knows how much$$$$$$ , plus " incidentals". So I do what I can. I bought a small MIG welder for the fenders etc and a couple of belt sanders at a flea market. Good luck with it!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41fred207 View Post
thank you for your input. i have received an abundance of quality information on the early v8 forum during my build on my 41 and knew i would find the same knowledgeable expertise on the A forum. you "old-timers" are a life saver to the hobby and i look forward to picking bits of info from you as i build my own piece of ford history. i realize i have quite an ambitious project ahead of me and i'm not going to jump right on it till i've done some research(and finish my 47!). as far as the body wood, i'm a carpenter of 25 years and figure what i can't make maybe i can buy. i'm not looking to build a judging standard show car, just a reliable driver i can haul the whole family in.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #28
41fred207

didn't mean to insult you! i sure appreciate any info (good or bad) that i can get as i can weigh the pro's and con's for myself. have extensive wood working tools at my boss's shop, and mechanic tools in my garage. as far as drive train, i was contemplating updating to a 4.3 v6. i know that will probably set off some of the die hard A enthusiasts, but their cheap (used), reliable, and can be modded ( headers,intakes and etc).my budget is tight and i can only afford so much. maybe if the economy picks up i can go original. probably won't even start on it till next year or so any-way.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41fred207 View Post
As far as drive train, i was contemplating updating to a 4.3 v6. i know that will probably set off some of the die hard A enthusiasts,...
You do know that you are going to Model A hell?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #30
Dad's Dream

I want to thank everyone for the inputs.

Don Turley: I plan to replace all the handles so I'll be sure to install the correct ones AND to install them correctly. The current handles are very worn and detract from the appearance of the somewhat shiny paint and new interior. I will bag, tag, and save all the items I take off.

TerryH: The pin stripe has been added to the TO DO list. I've added the wood graining to the MAYBE SOMEDAY list - in case I win the lottery, or have time to practice doing it myself - neither of which I expect to happen soon.

Brian SATX: I got your PM and when I get ready to start working on it will give you a call. I do visit the Alamo A's website every couple of weeks and was hoping to attend the A/C install but unfortunately just couldn't get the time. Did it go well?

41fred207: I'm overwhelmed just trying to figure out my A, I couldn't fathom taking on a project like yours. Good luck and please post some updates once in a while.

Chris in Jax: I've actually been thinking of getting blackwalls and black wheels.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Gerry
Old 10-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #31
41fred207

this body is better than typical for 80 yr old new england tin and still more solid than my '95 pick-up!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #32
Brian SATX

Air conditioning went well. James Taylor did a good job as usual. He also rebuilds engines. When you need it, let me know and if you have not joined us by then, I will give you his contact information. You are welcome to come to a meeting, go on a drive or attend a seminar anytime you want with no obligation. We also have a club member that is a vendor for one of the major suppliers and stocks a lot of parts right here so you do not have to wait a week or so and no shipping cost. He also does major rebuilds on most componets- brakes, trannys etc. Ray Williamson-659-1527