Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: title problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
This should be an easy, from a legal and paperwork fix, if he has a title that matches either the block or the frame he should have a clean piece of property.
That is exactly what he thought in his first post. He did not understand why if the numbers on the car matched the current non expired title, why would it make any difference if the motor was '28,'29,'30, or '31.

I too think they are looking for any way to make a buck!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

I tried to follow frank the plummer, but could not, mike is right the state will not honor another state title, there is the rub with me, if it cleared Tenn it should clear the other 49 states unless i woke up this morning in Russia,
there are laws which apply to all states, if there was two title numbers in the system Tenn would not have given him a title period, and i would think no other state either
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #23
37fatfender

It does not sound to me as if you are taking my advice to relax and follow the process .

Why are you defending the state of Illinois on this........I have no idea what there motives on this are.....I for one think this is nothing more than government harassment. I personally know a guy who has owned a 56 Buick for 25 years who last month had his title pulled. Any answers for that Frank the Plumber........? This state is run by crooks, govenors in jail....and...Public officials walking in front of trains after padding their pocket with Half million of our dollars.
It took another friend over a year to get his 32 Roadster re-titled after Springfield took it from him. He bought the car with a clean IL title and had the car a year and was then told send us the title or else........Relax my butt..........Revolt.........
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
Jim Parker Toronto

Boy o boy, I'm glad its not that tough up here! But you still need to know your way around the system. Certainly, some DMV offices up here are more helpful than others, so we pick and choose the easy route.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #25
Mr.34

This is a common problem with cars from some of the southern states like GA that did not start using certificates of title until about mid 80's. I just brought a 40 from GA to MN and the VIN # was in fact not a 1940 # and the DMV was on the ball and caught it. Real VIN can no longer be found as the front suspension was rebuilt (street rod) covering the origianal VIN and only other place it appears is on frame under rear of body (LOL). After my inspection I was qualified for a MN generated VIN # which there is no charge, but the surety bond goes for $10 per $1000 of actual price paid and this was one pricey ride. The state gets zero out of this but State Farm does and I have to have bond for 3 years to protect both the strate and me just in case the car was stolen at one time. I spoke to the origianal builder and I have data showing provenance on body and frame.

I have a friend in Chicago who brought a new Vette up from GA and it took him 3 months to get title approved in IL. Sounds like IL is worse than MN. My drama is going on its 4th month and soon to be over.
Mr.34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
Paul from Maine

You can move to Maine where all you need is a bill of sale, an insurance card and 25 bucks plus the plate fee to register anything older than 25 years. You don't even need an inspection stickah. Evah. Only cars less than 15 yrs old need a title in Maine. Plus we only have emission testing in our two most southern counties. When your CAT plugs up around here, you just chisel it off and replace it with a straight pipe. I've never had anyone verify a VIN # either. The nearest DMV is 45 minutes away, so we register and title our cars at the town hall at the same counter where we pay our property taxes, git our huntin' licenses and register to vote. So all you Fordbarners who have trouble with your state's, you should consider movin' to Maine. We don't worry about the DMV, cause you can't get there from here, if you live in Maine!
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
Stick Shift

IL has been real terrible this last year with old titles. I know of two local guys having major problems. It sounds like one after a year and half is getting his title. His car has been finished after a year and was not able to drive or title it. The other guy is putting his car together then taking it down state for the inspection or appraisal so he can get a title.

I can't wait for the fun to begin. I will take all of Frank the Plumbers advice and stay calm and roll with the stuff that is going to happen.
Stick Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #28
dcline3037

Some of you folks should move to North Dakota! My '28 Roadster was the easiest and cheapest of all my vehicles to register/title. Brought it back from NM a few weeks ago-brought a pair of YOM plates I had purchased a few months ago and it was over in minutes - a quick check on the web to ensure the plates were not duplicates - $10 once in a LIFE-TIME registration and nobody even had to look at the car. Easy!
dcline3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #29
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline3037 View Post
Some of you folks should move to North Dakota! My '28 Roadster was the easiest and cheapest of all my vehicles to register/title. Brought it back from NM a few weeks ago-brought a pair of YOM plates I had purchased a few months ago and it was over in minutes - a quick check on the web to ensure the plates were not duplicates - $10 once in a LIFE-TIME registration and nobody even had to look at the car. Easy!
Sure registration might be easy, but the winters ((shudder))--I'm not sure I'd be willing to trade California winters for cheap/easy registration
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline3037 View Post
I guess we should all move to North Dakota! I thought 25 bucks a year in Maine was cheap, but 10 bucks for a lifetime... I could aford to have all five of my untitled A's and T's on the road at the same time!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #31
Desi

Thumbs up Re: title problem

Frank - thanks for your detailed responses. This should help when I go to get a title for the restored car I have.
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #32
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
You guys see the avatar is my truck, its lettered, in Illinois I cannot put an antique plate on it because it is lettered, I have to run a B plate $225, Im also in Chicago were I have to buy a Chitty sticker so I can park on the worst streets in the world, Add $200. The tax on the sale of a vehicle is $25 for all over 25 years, however, now we are going to have to bond all of them. We pay 10 3/4% sales tax, and we're still broke. I don't think you should be telling too many folks how good and cheap it is to live in your little piece of paradise, all the people from my state will run to it in droves and wreck it. I can't even feel them they are so numb.
Is that 10 3/4% sales tax state or city or both? What is a "B" plate? What is a "Chitty" sticker? Is that $200 a one time fee or annual? Man, I thought we had it bad here with a 5% sales tax and a state income tax, 'cause next door in New Hampshire they have no sales tax and no personal income tax. But boy, you guys sure have it bad in the Land of Lincoln. How do you guys afford to live?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #33
37fatfender

Frank, Check your facts the $25 transfer fee on old cars is gone.......they now will place an arbitrary value on your car and that is what tax you will pay. I bought a 40 Ford in California went to the currency exchange paid the 25 bucks.........later recieved a bill for $646 dollars from the Sec of State. When I call the S of S they said I had to pay the fair market value of a 40 Ford. I ask how they new that.......no answer. They didn't care if it was a basket case or a Ridler car.......

How did the state know You had lettering on your truck?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #34
grey46

I dealt with this on another car a year ago .It had a CLEAR current Neb title ,matching vin visible on frame rail .Reason given for title check was seller had signed off 45 days before I applied for title ,even with a clear correct vin they wanted a bonded title ,only reason I was ever told was the time between sign off and my attempt to title was too long. Now its because the vin is for a 30 and car is a 29 ,I explained in a very calm and semi-knowledgeable manner that it was common practice to change tile when swapping motors ,and asked if there was any way to contact Tenn DMV to see if they could / would provide verification the car was legal ,have gotten no response to that,Tenn also attached a vin tag to door jam that reflects current vin on title ,not good enough for Illinois (or at least the lady in charge) Calling Springfield offices gets nuthing except "they are pulling all titles on cars over 25 years old and thats all we know. The last email I have gotten from the "lady" reads as follows
"Sellers info matches the title.The vin tag is a fake one.Unless the original frame is under the vehical,we can not use that vin for the vehical.Also the vin is not for a 1929 Ford ,it is for a 1930 Ford.Let me know if the original chassis is under the car (and not modified) If not you will have to apply for a bonded title and new vin assignment " unquote.
Havent heard back since ,but did find info indicating on other sites that Illinois is now also pulling all out of state titles as well as the 25 year deal. I would like my cars to be all legal like anyone would but it just seems to be getting very costly,time and labor intensive,and I did have one state employee say off the record that DMV has discovered a gold mine. So for the moment I remaining very calm almost zen like untill I hear more... Doug
grey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #35
grey46

Not bad they got me for $1600.00 on a basket case roller 55 Chevy I offered to trailer it to an inspection station to be valued and they said no need market value is $25,000.00 and that was the end of that..
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #36
37fatfender

Frank, I just spent 45 minutes on the IL S of S website. Apparently they do not give out forms over the internet. One of the following forms will tip you off on how they value old cars........they are RUT25, RUT50, or ST556. I am not sure which one. I did see one though and they intend on getting every dollar they can. Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #37
grey46

Frank
No sir havent .The first car they refused the title on was a pretty ruff 26 Coupe ,after recieving their bonded paper work ( they now have a kit all ready for you)and reseaching the current process and cost it wasnt a viable option. Work and money involved was gonna be more than the car was in my opion worth. Sold it with no title.just bill of sale to a gentelman in Missouri and 2 days latter he called and had a title .Im now thinking the only way at least for now to have an old car in Illinois is to just find one you like here thats already got a current Illinois title .My buddy with the 29 sedan still hasnt even heard anything and is pretty concerned as his had an out of state title as well,I will post here when ever he hears anything.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #38
37fatfender

Having an IL title guarantees NOTHING, as I said in earlier posts, I know first hand a guy with a 56 Buick who has owned it for 25 YEARS, is currently being put thru the ringer, and another close friend who bought a 32 roadster with a clear IL title and spent a year getting a title and plates. When he finally got the State Rep to come to his place to install the new Vin tag, he used a cordlless drill, pop rivets, scratched the paint and installed it crooked on the A pillar. He must also have a decal on his windshield indicating that it is a reconstructed car. Nice detail.....huh! This woman in Springfield has quite a reputation and word is not to piss her off......Well tell me why it should be this way?. What does her personality have to do with any ot this? There ought to be a defined administrative procedure for all of us to follow IF NECCESSARY, otherwise J White and his crew shouldn't be bothering us.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #39
Terry, NJ

Frank, You and others have scared last night's supper out of me! I bought my 1930 Town Sedan in NJ. No problem to title it, Done! I'm moving to Pa. where they verify
VIN #. So,s I goes out with my electric drill,. with a brush and clean off the number boss on the block. OOOPZ They don't match! Not even close! OK so the engine has been changed! Next I go to a buddy's and start looking at old (and rusty) frames. I couldn't find one VIN. A couple of the frames wern't that rusty.
Next, Can I buy one of those plates they sell, number it, and attach it to the firewall and have it accepted in Pa.? I realise that maybe you can't answer this question from Illinois. Is there somewhere I can go (Website, etc) to find out.
If not what do I do. Sell the car in NJ, Maine, or Tenn?
Regards, Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

I was born in IL and lived near Joliet until I was 5. Every time I drive through IL I think it looks like a nice state to live in, but with the title problems and politics of IL I may have to rethink that.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote