Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default Assembly Question

On my '29 RPU, what should the assembly sequence be? Should the lower cowl be mounted to the cab, along with the Gas Tank, before I try to fit the doors? Should all three of these assemblies be put together before frame mounting? Thanks
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
CCWKen

Default Re: Assembly Question

There's not much support at the hinge post without the cowl panels mounted. And there's not much support for the cowl panels without the sub-frame risers and firewall mounted. I would use screws and nuts to dry-fit the parts first. Leave the screws finger tight until you have the panels in place then tighten as you align. Then temporarily mount the doors to check alignment. Make adjustments then pull one screw out at a time and replace with a rivet. Keep checking alignment as you go.

I don't think it's necessary to have the tank in place but I would at least have the dash rail mounted. That should give you the width fixturing. After the cowl panels are screwed in place, set the tank on just to verify alignment and squareness then remove. You'll probably need that space for work access.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
John Stone

I would put it all together, mount it on the frame and then proceed to fit the hood. Only then fit the doors. Work your way back. Put some towels around things to keep the paint nice.
Just my thoughts.
John
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
fordcragar

One of the questions that I've always asked is, did fit together and was it aligned before it was painted?

As was mentioned, assemble it all, fit the hood and work your way back. You'll probably find that some of the things that you did along the way will have to be redone.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote