Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
MrTube

Default Paint, Not A related

I'm sorry if this is a bad place to post this, but this forum is full of people knowledge in this area.

In 2006 I acquired a 1933 GE Monitor top fridge. I proceeded to sandblast the top of it (compressor and condensor, bare steel )and had a friend prime it for me. I also had a local shop mix up automotive paint ( I think lacquer) That closely matched the porcelain cabinet.

I'm very ignorant when it comes to paint, the only thing I remember is they mixed 2 quarts for me and put it in a gallon can. and I needed something called reducer.

My question is, I have not touched this paint since 2006 nor have I ever opened it. Is there any chance this paint is still good? I never finished the fridge due to my arthritis getting very bad fast out of no where. I want to try and finish the job now and i'd hate to find out my $150 worth of paint is garbage.

P.S. anyone in NJ who would be interested in spraying this for me?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
MrTube

Default Re: Paint, Not A related

Aww, no replies?

I was sure we had quite a few members with a lot of knowledge on paint like this?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
ford1

whenyou remove the top of the paint can and there is a hard crust on the paint its a sign that the paint is not usable, if when the crust is removed from the paint and the paint is thick like sryrup it is definatly not good, next time you have paint mixed like a half gallon have it put in quart cans, it will last longer that way, you reduce lacquer with lacquer thinner, buy ths slow type, google Kirker paints, they are back east and they will be able to help you and there paints are very reasonable, also try TCPglobal on the net or go to a tractor supplier and buy a qt of truck and tractor paint for about $12 a quart, thin with regular paint thinner, the paint is oil based and very durable but dries slow 24 hours

Last edited by ford1; 08-11-2010 at 03:04 PM.
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
MikeK

I doubt it's lacquer. "Reducer" is used with enamel, and if it came from an automotive supplier in 2006 it's not lacquer. If you had two quarts in a gallon can, the air above it destroyed it long ago unless the can was inert gas filled and inverted regularly. Two quarts? One Q. would put two coats on a fridge with lots left over. A pint + reducer would probably do the job, unless you lay it on like driveway coating.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote