Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Kevin - Illinois

Default Got the head off

The head gasket was blown which was why I was getting steam at the tailpipe and it was running rough. First time in about 30 years the head has been off. Any suggestions on how to clean the deposits on the tops of the pistons and block? I'm taking the head for magnifluxing and resurfacing today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 & 2 Cylinders.jpg (85.2 KB, 65 views)
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Got the head off

you can use a scraper one with a razor blade in it works better also maybe combine that with some sandpaper. turn the motor to bring each piston up to clean the carbon off the tops and it would be easier to remove the studs first.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
TK in LA

Another good item is a wire brush that points forward when looking from the back that will fit your drill motor. With the piston at TDC put newspaper or paper towels in the other cylinders to keep the krud out of the other cylinders and make for easier clean up. Good luck!
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I ONLY use a putty knife, knife, and razor blade to remove deposits on the block and pistons. I also keep a vaccum cleaner nearby to vaccum up the deposits.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 05-13-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

Sandpaper can leave grit that can get lodged in the ring groove, wire brushes can leave hardened wire pieces to get jammed in the ring and score the cyl walls, a putty knife is ok, but the real tool is a carbon scraper --they are formed like a putty knife, but made of a row of heavy wires (about 1/16 dia)with an adjustable guide so the wires can be held flat for flat surfaces, or slid back so the wires can conform to curved surfaces.

after you scrape it turn the engine some and clean the cyl walls to remove what falls between the piston and the wall, also turn the engine so the valves are closed near where you scrape --there is no great need to scrape the valves thenselves.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Doug Cox

I use the 3m ROLOC BRISTLE DISC. Of course, you have to have the adapter, but this is a great tool.

http://www.m-source.com/group.cfm?gid=3241&seo=Scotch-Brite_Bristle_Discs

Like Tom advises, always have a shop vac running when cleaning no matter what you use.
Doug Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

[QUOTE=Doug Cox;6553]I use the 3m ROLOC BRISTLE DISC. Of course, you have to have the adapter, but this is a great tool.

http://www.m-source.com/group.cfm?gid=3241&seo=Scotch-Brite_Bristle_Discs

we use them here in the shop also they work good. they leave grit pieces also but its like anything blow it off good and stick rags in any open passages
Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Kevin - Illinois

Well I started today by stuffing open cylinders and holes and hit it with some PB Blaster. I want the rest of the studs to soak also as I have the grade 8 to install. I figured I'll keep it soaked until Saturday an then try removing the studs and start scraping. Thanks everyone...!
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Bob A.

I did mine with a wire wheel and cordless drill. I stuffed shop rags in the cylinders that the pistons were down in. I had the head planed, .020 had to come off to get it trued . I used a modern head gasket (the one that no one likes).Never removed the studs just cleaned around them. It all worked out for me. I have a couple of thousand miles on it and it's holding up fine.

Last edited by Bob A.; 08-04-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Bob A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
kp

I have the head off my 31 also,was throwing water out the radiator cap on a "Pull",had radiator rodded out ,used wire brush wheel on my Battery powered drill to clean carbon ,owner before me had installed head bolts,two of em broke off ,soaked 'em good with Penetrol and tapped on the top with hammer lightly and removed with Vise Grip pliers as there was about 1/2 inch sticking up from block ,Mixed me up some muriatic acid (50 percent water) and funneled into block ,after scraping inside the block with what ever would reach ,let it set for couple of hours and drained and flushed after using Bakeing soda to nutralize solution,have to be careful with muratic acid ,eye protection ect. Then I was amazed when I used a small magnet to remove gobs of scale from the block thru the water outlets,got the head resurfaced and gonna put it back together soon ,should end my water throwing problem,radiator has the baffel and I dont fill it up past it. Got a new set of head studs and nuts and the better head gasket they have at Snyders, also use anti seize grease on the threads into the block.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
PC/SR

The painters have some sort of composite round thing similiar to a wire wheel that fits in a drill chuck to remove paint and is non-abrasive. It is not metal and no wires go flying around from wire wheels. I got one at Sears. Works good. Fill the cylinders with rags. Pressure air works good to get rid of dust adn crud. Finish with lacquer remover for a really clean finish.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
alpharat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A. View Post
I did mine with a wire wheel and cordless drill. I stuffed shop rags in the cylinders that the pistons were down in. I had the head planed, .020 had to come off to get it trued . I used a modern head gasket (the one that no one likes).Never removed the studs just cleaned around them. It all worked out for me. I have a couple of thousand miles on it and it's holding up fine.
Nice job! Care to tackle this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00167.JPG (151.0 KB, 43 views)
alpharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Bob A.

If you were closer to me,I would gladly help you. The first time I took that head off I had that car hanging a foot off the ground by the spark plug adapters and I beat the s**t out of it with a rubber mallet. When she let loose I thought the chain fall was going to come out of the ceiling.
Bob A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Aerocraft

I find that a Scotch Brite pad on my die grinder does a great job. Also have the shop vac running to suck up the mess.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharat View Post
Nice job! Care to tackle this one?

whats the purpose of the hole in the top of your radiator cap?