Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
dcline3037

Default Greasing waterpump rear fitting

Been under the Roadster for hours it seems lubing all the zerks and fittings, but when it comes to the rear fitting on the water pump, I have a question. I removed the brass fitting, but what do I do from there? The Ford Model A Mechanic book is not real clear-it just says grease. Do I simply fill it with grease or what-it just seems to be an open port?? Thanks for any answers!
Dave
dcline3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Greasing waterpump rear fitting

Did you remove the zerk fitting? If so just put it back in and then grease the pump. If you have the older style grease cup, add grease to the cup and turn a few times to grease.

Mike
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Marco Tahtaras

The rear fitting should be a brass fitting with a knurled cover. Assuming that is what you have, reinstall the fitting then remove just the cover. Don't over grease or you may force grease into the cooling system. It requires very little.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Steve Wastler

If you use a grease gun, you run the risk of too much grease going in and past the rear bushing forcing grease into the water passage which if done enough will eventually plug some tubes of the radiator, best way is to remove the fitting as you have done and push grease in with your fingers till full.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
JoeWay

The original fitting is a two-piece part, with a brass cover screwed over the actual grease fitting. If your cover is missing, or the fitting has been replaced, then you would not "remove" anything.

Personally, I use the same grease I use everywhere else. I back off the packing nut and pull it forward on the pump shaft, then inject grease while pulling forward on the fan blade in an attempt to seal the rear of the bushing and force the grease forward.

Subsequent pump removals show that this works pretty well to keep grease from getting into the water.

Joe

(Edit: If a guy takes a bathroom break in the middle of writing a reply, he can get WAY behind. )
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Plus, use water pump grease not regular grease.
There is nothing particularly special about water pump grease except the label. That is why grease labeled as such is almost nonexistent in the USA today. Some "water pump" type greases are NLGI Grade 3 or higher and actually designed for higher loads. Read carefully as many are also rated for temperatures lower than appropriate for automotive water pumps.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
dcline3037

Actually, I removed the knurled cover and there only appeared to be a threaded hole where the "cover" came off. Am I missing a zerk here or what?
dcline3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

That cone shape at the end of the threads is the grease fitting and the grease gun that came in the tool kit fits it nicely. I also use the same Mystik JT-6 high temp grease for this fitting that I use on the rest of the fittings. I just give it a very short stroke of the grease gun.

My fan belt is only tight enough so the fan and generator don't slip when the lights are on, so there is very little side pressure on the rear water pump bushing. It may well last my lifetime with but a tiny squirt of grease once a year or every couple thousand miles.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline3037 View Post
Actually, I removed the knurled cover and there only appeared to be a threaded hole where the "cover" came off. Am I missing a zerk here or what?
If the brass cover is fine knurled and measures almost 7/16" diameter and 1/2"-9/16" long then you have a later Ford water pump fitting. They look like a Model A fitting with a slightly larger cover. They have a separate modern type zerk fitting threaded into the brass base. They would look similar to this pic except for the cover