Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Ray64

Question Rings

I just put a new snyders high compression head on my car.I now have blowby.The blowby isnt bad. I just dont like the smell.The engine has been in for about 3 years with only about 5 thousand miles on it.It probably has been relined because it has STD.pistons in it.Can i put a set of STD. rings in it and do you think it will help.The rods and mains have 3 shims on both sides of all of them so the bottom end is good to go.So what size rings will i need Thanks? RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Richard in NC

Default Re: Rings

Just mic the bores to be sure you get the right size rings. When you get them, slip a compression ring doun in the bore and measure the ring end gap with a feeler gage to be sure about that. Too much gap = blowby. Too little gap = broken rings and possibly a scored cylinder.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
TK in LA

Pull a piston before you buy the rings. There are several different manufacturers of pistons with different size ring land widths. Ask me how I know.
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Jim Boehmke

All A motors have blowby of varying levels. I used standard pvc pipe and made, what was called on older cars, A road draft tube which vents the fumes down next to the oil pan. No more stink.
Jim Boehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Jim Boehmke

Ray, I probably did not make this very clear in my first post, but my main point was, even if you did a cylinder job and new rings, you are still going to smell the vapor from the crankcase vent. I doubt that anyone in our group would argue that fact. That's why a road draft tube is a nice addition. I made mine so it was easily removable for adding oil. Keep us posted. Jim
Jim Boehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Ray64

After further consideration im going to go with a device to get the odor down below the oilpan.The engine has lots of power and doesnt smoke.I do believe because of the higher compression ,that is the cause of the odor.I will post a follow up after about a week of motoring.Thanks .You guys are the BEST RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
40 Deluxe

How about installing a PCV valve and burning those noxious fumes? Plus preventing buildup of oily residue under the car. Anybody tried this?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
marc hildebrant

With regard to road draft,

I have a road draft metal pipe that "pulls" the blow-by down and out. It has a metal top with a hinge that opens to add oil.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote