Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Red face Sticky valve guide

My mechanic says I have a sticky valve guide and low compression in one cylinder. They are 80-80-80 and 60. Does one cause the other. Is it something to be concerned about ? He says it still runs fine !
How can I correct the sticky guide without tearing it down. He said when he poured a little oil down the one cylinder the compression came up but he thinks that will be very temporary. Help me please !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Sticky valve guide

Try 4ozs of Marvel Mystery Oil in a tank of gas! 4ozs/10Gal.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Logan

another thing to try is, change your oil. But when you put in your new oil, pour a quart or 2 down the distributor hole in the head. this should help free it up a little. but wait a day or two before you start it.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
TK in LA

If the compression comes up in the cylinder after he squirted oil in, it usually means the rings are worn or(?) from my experience. The valves wouldn't be affected. Yours experience may differ.
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
RonC

change your oil and add Marvel Mystery Oil as your first quart
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
My mechanic says I have a sticky valve guide and low compression in one cylinder. They are 80-80-80 and 60. Does one cause the other. Is it something to be concerned about ? He says it still runs fine !
How can I correct the sticky guide without tearing it down. He said when he poured a little oil down the one cylinder the compression came up but he thinks that will be very temporary. Help me please !
Sounds more like shot rings or a scuffed cyl, based on the oil during compression check. Your mechanic (or you!) should be able to get the cyl in question to TDC and run compressed air to the plug hole. If you hear it hissing out the exhaust it is an exhaust valve, of you hear hiss out the carb with the throttle wide open, it is an intake valve, if you hear it hiss through the oil filler it is the cylinder wall or rings.

If it's not valves and your compression is 80-80-80- 60 as you say, I wouldn't sweat it unless that cyl started oil fouling the plug a lot, or you get blue smoke and blowby out the filler. Even so, a can of STP or some other "stops oil burning" additive may get you several thousand more miles before you need to fix it.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

There is a product called Restore that is sold at WalMart that works good. It has worked good for me in worn engines to leved out compression. If the problem is a slow sticky valve I would add Marvel mystery oil to the fuel and the crankcase.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post

The key words here are "He says it still runs fine."

Now having said that, how far did the compression come up?

If it came up considerably the valve may not be sticking at all and it makes me wonder why the mechanic thinks the valve is sticking.

What made you go to the mechanic to start with? Did the engine start running poorly? Has it been sitting up and not run for awhile?

I'd like to see that 4th cylinder much closer to the rest but did you know that modern day Ford engine manuals state that the compression is considered o.k. if the lowest reading cylinder is within 75% of the highest. So 75% of 80 is 60.

Larry B.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 08-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Thank you for all your input. I bought some Mystery Oil today and will try it out !
Thanks again !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I would do the compressed air checks like Mike suggested, then if it still looks like it could be a sticking valve, I'd add a can of Sea-Foam to the oil, and add another can to the gas tank about half full. Drive it and see if that doesn't free up the valve.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Glenn C.

Some of our members in the SCMAFC (Stampede City Model A Ford Club) are using regular outboard motor oil in their fuel with good success. Quantity 4oz to a tank full of fuel.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
another thing to try is, change your oil. But when you put in your new oil, pour a quart or 2 down the distributor hole in the head. this should help free it up a little. but wait a day or two before you start it.
BLEEP! The valve chamber is prevented from filling high enough to reach the guides by the overflow tube. You may also have noticed a rather large hole at the front of the valve chamber that will dump any excess oil onto the timing gear. You can put a bucket of oil down the distributer hole and it will change nothing. Why wait 2 days, 1 minute or 1 year will have the same effect.
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
CCWKen

When you do the pressure test, put it in low gear and set the e-brake. The engine could turn, open a valve and give you a misreading.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
redmodelt

Could be bent valve stem.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote