Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Logan

Default Speed equipment seminar

In a few months i am going to be doing a seminar at our clubs meeting over era, and modern speed equipment. My problem is i only have about 30 minutes to talk, so i need to limit what i talk about. If you were sitting in the audience, what would yall like to learn about, or see pictures of? Theres so many different directions i could take this presentation, but i would like to know what other people would like to learn about. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: Speed equipment seminar

Whooo.. 30 minutes to talk about 80 years of speed equipment for the Model A.

Well, I'm sure at a stock Model A club meeting they are going to want to know how to make their stock appearing cars go faster. So I would assume good topics would be sources for the high speed ring and pinion. Talk about overdrive options. Talk about the various high compression heads available from vendors today. The aeries muffler is always a hot thing to talk about and maybe also talk about putting in a reground cam. Maybe at the end talk about the OHV conversions as your "finale"

There is plenty more to talk about but since you have to focus down to 30 minutes, I would just outline the available stuff. The "part 2" or second talk I would go into quick change rear ends, multi-carb setups (winfields, strombergs and webbers), supercharging, magnetos, insert rods and full pressure set ups, lightened fly wheels, reverse flow and heck, even the Mancillo Brothers twin engine dragster that has 2 four bangers in it would be cool.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 08-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well, while this may sound real sarcastic, it really isn't meant to be. If I were sitting in your audience I would be most interested in hearing anything that FACTUAL. So often in the performance area you mentioned, it is all about 'He said/She said' or what seems believable. While I realize you may not have any vast personal experience in certain areas, choose an area you can do research on from notable sources and then do show & tell and let people compare notes.

If you are wanting a topic even more specific, do the evolution of the combustion chamber. Using an empty cylinder case, set different heads on the top and take a picture from the bottom. Allow your audience to think about what the designer had in mind when he designed the combustion chamber, ...and why is does/doesn't work efficiently. For what it is worth, Bill Stipe has likely done as much modern day dyno work and testing on cylinder head flow and efficiency. Maybe he could assist you in your seminar??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Larry Brumfield

Modern day manufacturers like to talk but you'll only get so much information. There's always the possibility of a lurking tech thief in the audience.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Logan

I was going to contact bill stipe, i wanted to get some of his dyno charts, and get some info on his cams, and if im correct he just dynoed the new snyders head?

Larry- like you said there may be some tech theives in the audience. But would you be willing to send me some info on your heads? Why the combustion chambers are shaped the way they are, and how much hp can be acheived by the different comp heads. If you would please email me at [email protected] i would appreciate any help.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Larry Brumfield

Believe it or not, you can get the most extensive info about old speed equipment for the Model A/B from Charlie Yapp, including pictures and all (and of course he didn't write any of it, :0).
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

I would suggest a quick rundown of what speed equipment is being currently manufactured (along with addresses or web sites).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
34coupe

My 2cents would be, best bang for the buck, what intake,head,carb,dist, WORKS. spend most of your time on the more common modifications and less on the high priced overhead stuff. Dave
34coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
jaguar6165

I like the bang for the buck idea. I like hearing about the stuff that i cant afford and dream about but bang for the buck is what i can afford and i think would be more informative to most.

Where do i find more about the twin engine dragster?
jaguar6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Logan

thanks guys, i like yalls idea about doing the modifications that the average model a're can afford. Ill probably throw in some high $$$ items just to make it intresting. Any more sudgestions are welcome.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
thanks guys, i like yalls idea about doing the modifications that the average model a're can afford. Ill probably throw in some high $$$ items just to make it intresting. Any more sudgestions are welcome.
Several hot rod magazines start out with a stock car and then do a story about simple mods to improve performance, you know, headers, suspension, computer changes, brakes. Then they move up to engine changes, cam, heads, injectors, valves, etc. Lastly they move to the money is no object, crate engine, blowers, transmission, rear end, front end and so on.

I think you are on the right track with your above statement! May me even a part two if the members want it.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
kenparker

Start with the "off the shelf" high performance equipment available, i.e. heads, cams, intakes, then follow with the more exotic stuff. Might even approach your club about a follow up tech session at a later date.

Does Ft Worth Model A Club accept guests at their meets? 120 miles aint that far for a good seminar. Ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Chris in CT

Hi Logan, Just my 2c worth, but start with the "bolt on" stuff, things that do not require machining or irreversable changes to the basic model A. Compression, breathing, ignition, and F150 four-speed kits that require no frame or torque-tube modifications. As time and questions allow, move upwards into more sopisticated modifications. Sounds like a fun seminar!
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Start with the "off the shelf" high performance equipment available, i.e. heads, cams, intakes, then follow with the more exotic stuff. Might even approach your club about a follow up tech session at a later date.

Does Ft Worth Model A Club accept guests at their meets? 120 miles aint that far for a good seminar. Ken
Ken your more than welcome to attend the meetings. The only problem I could see for you is that they are at 7:30 on a Monday night.