Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
SteveM

Default Highest and lowest mileage cars?

As I hopped into my 180,000 mile Subaru, I though, "who has the Model A with the highest number of documented miles?"

Which also brought out the question, who has the loweest? I'm sure the Henry Ford Museum has one that was pulled off the assembly line and driven to the museum, but I'm talking road cars, not time capsule museum pieces.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Steve Ciccalone

Default Re: Highest and lowest mileage cars?

Mr. and Mrs. Hauter found a '28 special coupe with 2,000 or so miles on it. It's been driven by subsequent owners and was in the 16,000 mile range last I knew. I have seen two 7,000 mile vehicles. A low mileage AA is scheduled to be in French Lick. My personnel best are two 14,000 mile A's, one of which I still own. I've heard rumors of several cars with less than 1000 miles but have never seen them.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Model A Man

My 1930 roadster OD shows 91634 miles. the speedo wasn't working when I got it but I fixed that. what I know about the history is that it was last painted and upholstered in 1955 (sparkletts Green paint and maroon vinyl upholstery)and the motor appeared to have been rebuilt at one time as the pistons are 80 over. the motor is tired but still runs. I drive it every year to the LA roadster show in pomona. I dont know if the frame # matches the motor but I am hoping they do. I do not know how many time the OD has gone past all zeros.

Last edited by Model A Man; 06-05-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
henry494

Steve, Our Standard Murray Fordor, firewall date on 6-30-29, had 3,907 when we purchased it in 2004. It now has just under 4,500. We have the history back to two weeks prior to the firewall date when a deposit check was written. I'd post a photo, but haven't done that yet on the new forum and don't want to take the time this evening.

Dave Lopes
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Keith True

At one time Page's Model A garage in Haverhill N.H. had either a Victoria or a 400 A with 1500 miles on it.That car was used as their judging standards.When working on others they would walk over to it and see how it was really done.When I was first tinkering on mine to drive in 1972?73? I drove across the state to just see the operation.I can't quite remember if the car came out of South America,stored by a rich businessman,or out of New York City.It was over 35 years ago,and I was putting on some hard miles back then.I did hear a rumor that one of the heirs kept the car,but it was probably 15 years ago I heard that.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Chris in WNC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ciccalone View Post
Mr. and Mrs. Hauter found a '28 special coupe with 2,000 or so miles on it. It's been driven by subsequent owners and was in the 16,000 mile range last I knew. I have seen two 7,000 mile vehicles. A low mileage AA is scheduled to be in French Lick. My personnel best are two 14,000 mile A's, one of which I still own. I've heard rumors of several cars with less than 1000 miles but have never seen them.
we bought one of Steve's 14,000 mile Model As in 2004. (actually 15,683 when it arrived here) it now has 21,754. we drove it 40 miles this morning, it's a great car.....
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote