Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #41
Hitchhiker

Default Re: new ford barn

To all the guys giving the old timers a hard time. Give them a break! We need the info they know! While I don't agree with the complaints about the format. I can understand how others have problems with it. Some don't pick up as fast on how to use all the different tools, and it's all the different tools that make this format better. They are a bit overwelming. I'm 26, I've been using computers since dos. when I was about 6. It's second nature. I for one take that for granted.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #42
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I am 52 and have been working on Model A's since I was 10.
I have been working on computers since I was 18.

There is nothing 'overwhelming' about either topic.
They are both second nature to me as well, and I also take it for granted.

However it is your opinion that this format is 'better'.
Other people have differing opinions, equally valid.

It is not the case that others don't 'pick up on it' as fast as you.
Well Said! I've similarly attempted to to get the same points across.

I'm 53 and been working on Model A's for 40 years. I was late on the computers, only been at that for 25 years. I was in the computer business for awhile and trained most of my tech support people.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #43
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I am 52 and have been working on Model A's since I was 10.
I have been working on computers since I was 18.

There is nothing 'overwhelming' about either topic.
They are both second nature to me as well, and I also take it for granted.

However it is your opinion that this format is 'better'.
Other people have differing opinions, equally valid.

It is not the case that others don't 'pick up on it' as fast as you.
You're speaking for YOURSELF. Not everyone.

AND I really don't think you are seeing what I am saying....

Notice I said SOME and not ALL..... Two very different meanings....

I can guarantee that my grandfather doesn't know how to use a computer as well as I do and doesn't pick up new "tricks" as fast...

All I am trying to say is That I respect that you and others like the old format. I know some of you used it frequently and it worked well for you. You find nothing wrong with it. It's the same way for me and others with the new format. I'm sure if I started with the old way I would like that way too.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 06-03-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #44
Craig Lewis

I find this new format considerably more time consuming to get through. It's OK if I have hours to kill, but as I get older I value my time more & more...leaning more towards the simple & familiar.
Some of the new features were interesting, just like getting a new cell phone is interesting for a day till you realize you've just been saddled with yet another bunch of time eating features which you got through life without just fine up until now.

While I'm gratefull as h*ll to still have Fordbarn when I need it, I truly miss being able to open the site, scroll down 2 days in 2 seconds and see at a glance any new postings with the person's name clearly displayed. It was a system that worked well for me.
I shall continue to poke my way through this maze for awhile...but I'm certainly losing interest.
PS As you can see I DO like the smiley faces
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #45
Ross/Kzoo

Well said Marco and Craig. I don't think that people from the "other forums" completely understand what I/we are trying to relay.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #46
Chris in WNC

Default my view of the new.....

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I like many of the new features, still continuing to learn as we go.

the down side is the inability to see all the posters in a thread without opening it.

there are several contributors here that I enjoyed enough to read EVERYTHING they posted. can't do that easily now.

net result seems to be that I get through the unread posts a lot quicker after an absence of a day or 2.

advantage: less time spent on the site.
disadvantage: probably missing things I want to see.

having Shelly's old site back is not an option, so having Ryan's version is way better than it all being over and gone.......
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #47
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: my view of the new.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Jax View Post
I like many of the new features, still continuing to learn as we go.

the down side is the inability to see all the posters in a thread without opening it.

there are several contributors here that I enjoyed enough to read EVERYTHING they posted. can't do that easily now.

net result seems to be that I get through the unread posts a lot quicker after an absence of a day or 2.

advantage: less time spent on the site.
disadvantage: probably missing things I want to see.

having Shelly's old site back is not an option, so having Ryan's version is way better than it all being over and gone.......
I'm in agreement with you guys.

By the way my first PC had no hard drive just 2 floppies. My first hard drive was 10 megs. When Segate came out with the 1/2 height 20 meg HD I thought I was in heaven. 30 Megs!!! I would never fill 30 Megs up! And a color monitor OMG!!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #48
Brubaker

Someone may have already mentioned this(it's a long thread), but if you enjoy reading the entries of specific 'Barners'(I do the same), scrolling down to Forum Jump(search forums--->search by user name) can be helpful.
Was certainly faster before, but the addition(option) of pictures for selling and buying parts is nice.
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #49
zzlegend

I was fairly new to the old ford barn and just started getting the hang of it when it ended. And i am turning 64 soon and by no means am i a computer guru. Quite the opposite. But i get by and no how to ebay. With that being said, i am getting use to the new ford barn and though it is not as easy as the old barn to navigate i am getting the hang of it. I dont let the little navigation problems get me down. But in stead i look forward to the post that sometimes relate to me and working on my "A".
Whether it be "problems installing a rope seal", or " coil polarity", or "proper color choice", or "proper way to adjust brakes", or etc. ,,,you get the picture. But i look forward to the post of more expierenced people that have good input. We need people like Tom, Marco, MIKEK, an all the others that help make this Ford Barn what it is. Regardless if it the "was" the old barn or the new one. Lets try and make the best of it and try and make it better. And who knows. Maybe Ryan might make some small changes down the road to help everyone. And on the bright side, it appears like everyone is getting along. Not like the old barn was toward the end. Just my two cents. Well maybe three cents. Everyone have a good day. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote