Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default which came first chicken or egg

We were at a meeting yesterday and the production line topic came up, there were a few of us who disagree with the thought, which came first the stamping of the engine number to the frame, Or, stamping of the frame to the engine thanks we really know how to spend or weekends don't we,
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
skip
Banned

Default Re: which came first chicken or egg

Engines came first. An engine may lay around for months before being placed into a frame. Then the engine's number was stamped on the frame rail.
I'll bet everyone of those stacked up engines have a number on them, but as yet no home.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 05-31-2010 at 07:32 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
skip
Banned

Look at this guy in the bibs. I'll bet he's setting the cam timing for the points to open at JUST the right moment. After several thousand 'sets' he's my choice to set my timing!

Now; was this before or after the engine was run-in with a 20 hp electric motor?

Pictures from engines being spun-up on the mule will show use the answer. Distributor on or off the engine?

Looks like the distributor is being installed in a nice and quite part of the factory with out the high pressure of a moving assembly line.

So how many 'bib guys' are doing this to attain one build every 60 seconds or less? Obviously the motor line was not running as fast as the frame/body assembly.

How cool would it be to be there?

skip.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Engines came first. An engine may lay around for months before being placed into a frame. Then the engine's number was stamped on the frame rail.
I'll bet everyone of those stacked up engines have a number on them, but as yet no home.

skip.

Which book is this from? I've never seen it before.

Thanks
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Look at this guy in the bibs. I'll bet he's setting the cam timing for the points to open at JUST the right moment. After several thousand 'sets' he's my choice to set my timing!

Now; was this before or after the engine was run-in with a 20 hp electric motor?

Pictures from engines being spun-up on the mule will show use the answer. Distributor on or off the engine?

Looks like the distributor is being installed in a nice and quite part of the factory with out the high pressure of a moving assembly line.

So how many 'bib guys' are doing this to attain one build every 60 seconds or less? Obviously the motor line was not running as fast as the frame/body assembly.

How cool would it be to be there?

skip.
I'll bet he had a production quota and, if that's all he did day after day it would get pretty boring. I suppose he'd say it wasn't cool at all except that it was really good to have a job.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
skip
Banned

'The Ford Model "A"
"As Henery Built It"

A Color, Upholstery and Production Facts Book

By:
George DeAngelis
Edward P. Francis
Leslie R. Henry
Fith Edition

This edition has many more photos and drawings, including the 'engine block' casting drawing that many expressed an interest in back at the 'old' Ford Barn.

I purchased this book from Bratton's.

skip.