Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Kevin - Illinois

Question Routing of oil gauge tubing

Got an oil gauge from Sullivan's Garage and picked up some copper tubing to run instead of the plastic stuff. How do you route the tube? Under the carb & manifold and back up the firewall? Anyone have a picture of theirs they would share?
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
TK in LA

Default Re: Routing of oil gauge tubing

This was on an early 29 Roadster. Had a victory gauge. Not pretty but it worked?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HR2.jpg (80.0 KB, 64 views)
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK in LA View Post
This was on an early 29 Roadster. Had a victory gauge. Not pretty but it worked?
Is that add-on simply a vaccum tank or is it something more? I've never seen anything like it. Maybe it's an oiler or a water vapor attchment?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
30 Tudor and Coupe

Kevin, Don't use copper tubing for your oil pressue gage line. The vibrations from a Model A will cause the copper to work harden and snap off. You won't know it happened (unless the oil gets hot enough to burn on the tailpipe) until you stop and find oil running from the bottom of your car. Trust me, I tried copper and luckily stopped before it pumped less than a quart out.
30 Tudor and Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
TK in LA

Tom, the bottle on the firewall was an intake oiler. The inside of the head had more carbon than you can imagine. Don't think anyone had ever checked how much oil was being sucked into the motor. Very little wear on the standard bore. The oil line to the gauge is just below the carb. Had a snubber attached to keep that high oil pressure from attacking the gauge. Both pluming lines, oiler and oil pressure were copper. Ditto on the gas line to the carb. The line under the dash was an original three piece. Two ferrules and one piece of steel tubing sweated together
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

I ran my line parallel to the block, turned to the left ( rt side of car) at the flywheel housing, ran it over to and through the speedo cable hole in the firewall, up the speedo cable to the gas tank and along the underside of the wire harness housing to the gauge which is mounted to the bottom 2 screws on the instrument panel. I stuck some cable tie blocks to the flywheel housing after the bend and cable tied the line to inhibit vibration. I also cable tied the line on the speedo cable between it and the firewall so its not visible from inside the cab, although the tiny cable ties are.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote