Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
pat in Santa Cruz

Question changes to '31 frames

I am cleaning up an April '31 frame which I was considering for use with my 82B pickup cab. I found upon placing the running board shields on the frame, that the bracket with #2 and #3 holes is 2 1/2 inches further back than it is on the (very bad) frame the pickup body came off. Curiosity has my interest piqued. Can anyone explain what body type might have been on this frame?

TIA

Last edited by pat in Santa Cruz; 05-29-2010 at 09:45 PM.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: changes to '31 frames

It is my belief that all frames for a given year were the same. That is there were no roadster frames, fordor frames, coupe frames. The judging standards only show two different frames.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

The J.S. uses the chart from De Angelis. I checked his work and he states that in Dec 30 changes were done to the frame resulting in the "C" frame. I think these were the well known cross member changes. in Mid 31, hole #6 was placed on a bracket to support the 160 series cars . On the frame I am looking at, hole # 2 is 12 1/4 inches ctr to ctr from hole #1. On most frames I have seen, that hole is 9 3/4 inches from #1. There is no sign of the bracket ever having been in another location, that is, no old holes, rivets, etc.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
The J.S. uses the chart from De Angelis. I checked his work and he states that in Dec 30 changes were done to the frame resulting in the "C" frame. I think these were the well known cross member changes. in Mid 31, hole #6 was placed on a bracket to support the 160 series cars . On the frame I am looking at, hole # 2 is 12 1/4 inches ctr to ctr from hole #1. On most frames I have seen, that hole is 9 3/4 inches from #1. There is no sign of the bracket ever having been in another location, that is, no old holes, rivets, etc.

Now you have me interested in the answer as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

The "new" frame was introduced with the Victoria in November 1930. By about late March when the 160 series Fordors were rolling off the lines, the new frame went into full production and from then on was used on all models. Only the slant windshield bodies had two bolts going through the cowl support bracket.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So Marco, are you saying the 31's other than the S/W's had only one bolt at # 2 hole and none at #3? Did the splash aprons have 2 holes, one of which was out of alignment with the cowl bracket, or only one hole? Were there 2 holes remaining in the cowl at #2 and #3 with only one bolt installed?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Craig Lewis

Just for the record, my 31 coupe has the new style frame together with an early March series number stamped atop the rail.
I understand the car was built somewhat later.
Craig.

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 05-30-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: misspelling
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
Huckster

Quote:
I am cleaning up an April '31 frame which I was considering for use with my 82B pickup cab. I found upon placing the running board shields on the frame, that the bracket with #2 and #3 holes is 2 1/2 inches further back than it is on the (very bad) frame the pickup body came off. Curiosity has my interest piqued. Can anyone explain what body type might have been on this frame?

TIA
I am also working on an 82B and ran into the same thing. The cab came off of this frame.
Huckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
So Marco, are you saying the 31's other than the S/W's had only one bolt at # 2 hole and none at #3? Did the splash aprons have 2 holes, one of which was out of alignment with the cowl bracket, or only one hole? Were there 2 holes remaining in the cowl at #2 and #3 with only one bolt installed?
The aprons had three holes and two bolts were used. If it was a straight windshield body then the front bolt went through the cowl and apron only and the rear bracket hole was unused.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
The aprons had three holes and two bolts were used. If it was a straight windshield body then the front bolt went through the cowl and apron only and the rear bracket hole was unused.
Thank you, Marco. Your knowledge of this car never ceases to amaze me. Does this mean that if looking at a 31 straight windshield model cowl mount from inside the car, that one carriage bolt hole would be empty or were those cowls made with only one hole? The only 31's I have looked at that closely have been slants, which as you say, have 2 carriage bolts there.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
I should have been more clear and added the rear (of two) body cowl support bolts attached to the front hole in the bracket. The FRONT (of two) was as described above.