Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
jkelsh

Default RHD A's

Did Ford ever produce right hand drive a's in their US and Canadian factories? I was wondering as I have located an original 1930 roadster and was wondering wether or not it was imported
jkelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Karl

Default Re: RHD A's

It is my understanding that right hand drive cars were produced in Canada for export. Certainly all the original model T's in New Zealand had "Ford Made in Canada" cast into the head and radiator surround and our original model A's are all Canadian spec in terms of bumper clamps etc .However the cross member code on my original RHD 1930 Sports coupe includes what I am told is the code for Michigan plant production "F"-?????? Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

No RHD cars were sold in the US or Canada.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Jack S.

My RHD 1929 Phaeton came from Argentia 40 yeard ago.
Jack S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelsh View Post
Did Ford ever produce right hand drive a's in their US and Canadian factories? I was wondering as I have located an original 1930 roadster and was wondering wether or not it was imported

I think Ford produced and assembled RHD's in the states but just at Dearborn as they were then shipped out of the states as complete vehicles to places like Argentina, ,Brazil ect., but non were sold in the USA that I am aware of.

No doubt that Ford produced the necessary parts for the RHD vehicles but then shipped them out to the foreign assembly plants that needed them.

But who really knows for sure...surely one or two escaped this senario????

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
mot

yes ,some were made at least in Detroit
heres one picture of one coming off the the Rouge assembly line with a customer at the wheel
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-009F.JPG (59.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010F.JPG (61.7 KB, 39 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
31 Roadster

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } When Ford of Canada was established in 1904, Henry Ford granted Ford of Canada the rights to produce and export vehicles to the British Commonwealth, with the exception of the UK and Ireland, they would produce their own. Ford of Canada produce right hand vehicles for export to Australia, New Zealand, Malaya, India and South Africa. Although right hand vehicles were essentially produced for export, not all were. Some did remain in Canada, as it was legal to own and operate right hand vehicles at that time. I'm not surprised by your "F" code on the sub-rail assembly, as this was quite common for low production vehicles such as the Roadster. For more in depth information, you may want to contact the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation at http://www.cmaff.com as they are actively gathering information on Canadian, New Zealand and Australian produced Model A's. They have a good start on an excellent on-line library of manuals, brochures, production figures, etc., for members.
31 Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
pooch

Actively gathering information at a cost to us of $25 a year.

No thanks.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Actively gathering information at a cost to us of $25 a year.

No thanks.

So just why is the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation charging $25.00 per year to get into their site? Thank God MARC, MAFCA and MAFFI does not do that!

Pluck
Old 10-31-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
pooch

On the gist of this post, I was willing to go offer any info to them, on what I consider I have in a fairly original unrestored Canadian early 28 phaeton, but upon arriving at the door with a $25 entry fee, I said umm no thanks.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
Bick in New Zealand

Hey Pooch, when you say early, what month are we talking? Engine number? sounds like an interesting vehicle.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
pooch

Yo, Bick, I think june 28, against engine number.

Is dark and drinking home brew atm, but will post tomorrow , as I think Pluck can tell actual day with engine number.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Yo, Bick, I think june 28, against engine number.

Is dark and drinking home brew atm, but will post tomorrow , as I think Pluck can tell actual day with engine number.

Only with USA stamped engines Pooch...not Canadian and I am not going to pay $25.00/year just to access it and find out either. Heck, we can go to MARC, MAFCA, MAFFI, Marco's site, Bob Johnson's, Vince Falter's, Brent's, Don Turley's (and at one time Jim Mason's GREAT site) mine, and others to gather valuable information, why is the Canadian site any different?

Heck, I only pay about, let's see here...about $85.00 for a year through www.GoDaddy.com. Maybe if the Canadian site were not to charge, they just might get more valuable information from guys like Pooch and others.

Just my thoughts.

Pluck