Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #1
30Murray

Default Front wheel studs

I have what appear to be 1940-48 style front brakes with hubs on the outside of the drums, which I believe are original style. I bought these used for my Model A so I don't know the exact year. One of the wheel studs became loose and had to be drilled out and replaced so I bought a #51A-1107 stud from Ecklers (.62" shoulder x 1.52" long). The problem is, the stud is too short, both overall length and shoulder so it can't be swedged. I can't seem to find any vendors with longer studs. I could weld the head but the overall length is still a little short. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake drum.jpg (57.2 KB, 220 views)
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:43 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Front wheel studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Murray View Post
I have what appear to be 1940-48 style front brakes with hubs on the outside of the drums, which I believe are original style. I bought these used for my Model A so I don't know the exact year. One of the wheel studs became loose and had to be drilled out and replaced so I bought a #51A-1107 stud from Ecklers (.62" shoulder x 1.52" long). The problem is, the stud is too short, both overall length and shoulder so it can't be swedged. I can't seem to find any vendors with longer studs. I could weld the head but the overall length is still a little short. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:09 PM   #3
rich b

That is an unusual looking drum; don't know if I have ever seen a outside flange drum that wasn't composite construction, steel center/iron drum.

Maybe aftermarket?

How does the new stud compare to the drilled one in length?
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:03 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

Doesn’t look like any of the 40-48 drums I’ve seen.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:07 AM   #5
cas3

That is odd. An aftermarket Model A drum would have that step for the parking brake. Is it a 12" drum?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:18 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Look to your local auto parts store that sells Dorman products such as wheel studs. Go through their catalog to find the stud you need.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:22 PM   #7
Leadfoot4U

Quote:
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?
Yes, I had a similar problem with my '34 front wheel drums. The B-1107 studs offered throughout todays part suppliers are not correct. Their sold as fitting both front and rear....they do not. As the following two parts breakdown pages show, the measurements for the various years are different compared front to rear....year to year.

As you can see from above, an original Model A Passenger car front drum takes a stud with a shank diameter of .62, shank length to swedge is .38. 1928-35.

Using todays available B-1107 wheel studs in my '34 front drums, this is what I found:

No way are you going to swedge that much shoulder down! The overall length is way too short, plus the "head" is not 1 inch in diameter, making a lot of play against the drum "shoulder" its meant to sit against:

My alternative was to purchase a Model T (#T-2888) rear wheel stud bolt for my '34 front drum:

It has the right shank size. It swedged in just right. Although the thread length is about one cut thread short, it's not bad. The "head" size was a better fit than todays B-1107's..... however I still had to spot weld a couple of points on the head to tighten up the twisting play:

That's better than welding the drum and running the risk of warping it.

Now, I don't know what you're going to find for your particular drum you've got? But a Model T rear stud works well for an original '28 to '35 front drum.

Last edited by Leadfoot4U; 01-31-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Leadfoot4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:36 PM   #8
30Murray

Here's an update:
I found a better supply of wheel studs at C&G Ford Parts and they were very quick to respond to questions about dimensions. I bought a 51A-1107-D wheel stud that they list for a '40-'48 drum with hub mounted outside, which appears to be what I have. This is actually a Dorman 610-315 stud. It is a serrated stud and I had to ream the hole slightly to get a proper press fit. The shoulder is not quite long enough to swedge but it holds well with just the press fit. I added some Locktite 620 that may or may not help. Hopefully this information will help others with a similar situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel Stud_1.JPG (131.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg wheel stud installed.JPG (125.7 KB, 67 views)
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #9
cas3

Good news! When ever you change studs its a good idea to check them a couple times for the first few hundred miles as they may seat in deeper in use and require a little tightening.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:06 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
That is odd. An aftermarket Model A drum would have that step for the parking brake. Is it a 12" drum?
It looks like a front drum. However, I agree it's not V8. My guess a poor reproduction replacement Model A.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 04:33 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Here's an update:
I found a better supply of wheel studs at C&G Ford Parts and they were very quick to respond to questions about dimensions. I bought a 51A-1107-D wheel stud that they list for a '40-'48 drum with hub mounted outside, which appears to be what I have. This is actually a Dorman 610-315 stud. It is a serrated stud and I had to ream the hole slightly to get a proper press fit. The shoulder is not quite long enough to swedge but it holds well with just the press fit. I added some Locktite 620 that may or may not help. Hopefully this information will help others with a similar situation.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 02-08-2024, 04:49 PM   #12
Bob C

Looks like the drum C&G sells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C&G drum.jpg (11.5 KB, 53 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Looks like the drum C&G sells.