Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2024, 11:12 PM   #1
Bruce_MO

Default ‘46 wiper control questions

I’m restoring a ‘46 Mercury and I’m unclear how the wiper control knob assembly is put together. I assume it’s generally the same as a Ford. I know it’s supposed to go thru the bottom of the windshield division bar, and the pictures I’ve seen look to have a chrome spacer/bezel and nut that adapts to the curve at the bottom of the division bar, which would screw down just under the plastic knob. Does the control rack and cable simply sit on or above the inner lip of the cowl, with the dash panel on top of the cable? The dash is notched where the rack would sit, so it won’t interfere. But it looks like the dash could pinch the cable against the inner cowl lip. Another thing that’s throwing me off is the oval hole in the inner cowl lip right under where the wiper control sits. If I push the wiper control shaft up thru that hole from below, it seems that the control shaft (where the knob slips on) won’t stick out far enough to make it thru the division bar. When I bought my car, the wiper knob assy was stuck thru the hole for the radio antenna rod, about 1 1/2 inches behind the hole in the division bar.

I hope my descriptions make sense. Any help in getting this sorted out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
1942deluxe

Default Re: ‘46 wiper control questions

Bruce, on my "1942 Ford Deluxe Coupe project thread" on 1-23-2023 there are some pictures that might help. Ford and Merc should be the same to my knowledge. My 46 Ford uses a King Seeley wiper motor which is a different shape than the Trico which is the most common. My "1946 Ford Fordor project" thread may also have some pictures that would help.
1942deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:09 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

Default Re: ‘46 wiper control questions

I realize now that my Anco wiper motor is likely a replacement. I had googled it when I was getting it working a few months ago, and saw on the internet an application chart that showed all the settings for that model in a number of different cars, including my Merc. It sure fit perfectly. So to get the control knob to fit thru the windshield division post, I’m going to saw a bit of the inner cowl at the base of the windshield out of the way. Then the rack/knob assy will fit properly. All my mods will be hidden by the dash and trim moldings. Thanks
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote