Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
TonyM

Default 1937 Ford Clutch Install

I will be installing a new clutch on my 1937 Ford De Luxe 85hp. I will be pulling the rear end off and dropping the trans to make the install. I have never installed a clutch before. I have a knowledgeable helper coming by to give me a hand. To save time I will have most of the preparation done before he gets here (removing the seat, floor, drain trans, etc).

Do I need any special tools to pull off the throw-out bearing and the pilot bearing?

Any tips or advice for this install greatly appreciated. Please help.

Thank you Members of Ford Barn.

TonyM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
SofaKing

Default Re: 1937 Ford Clutch Install

You will need to manage the rear spring, leave it on car or axel so you may need a spreader. Floor jack obviously, something to support engine wih trans out. Safety wire for flywheel bolts if you remove it. I like the clutch alignment tool. I don't recall needing anything special for removing the bearings but i had engine out. The manual I have instructs that a spacer is placed under the clutch fingers during removal, I think it unloads the bolts so the last couple threads aren't pulled out by spring pressure during pressure plate removal. I don't recall anything else, I am sure some of the other guys here can provide more info. Good luck and use your head to preserve your skin when you improvise.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
TonyM

Sofa King, What manual do you have?

As for the rear end--I just unbolt the rear spring from the frame and move the whole combine out of the way.

Thanks for the reply SofaKing.

Any additional advice or information from the Ford Barn crowd greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
skidmarks

Do yourself a big favor and have tbe flywheel surfaced.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Tony, If I am replacing a clutch and pressure plate, I usually prefer to pull the engine, rather than remove the rear and transmission, because in most cases, the flywheel needs to be removed for resurfacing. I feel it is easier to remove the oil pan, to take the flywheel off, when the engine is out of the car. Also, replacing the pilot bearing is easier when the flywheel has been removed. This is just my opinion, others here may disagree.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Fredb_

While getting my 38 Deluxe Sedan on the road, I had the engine in and out more than once. It seemed easier than dropping the rear-end, but that may not be true. Pulling the engine is now a pretty fast process for me now. JM 35 made some good points.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
SofaKing

[QUOTE=TonyM;1089450]Sofa King, What manual do you have?

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you the clutch pages.

It is a reproduction of a Ford manual, I think I got it off E-bay for about 20$ last year. Lousy choice; remove driveline from underneath and then try and support engine while at the same time removing the oil pan or pull engine and hassle with the radiator and hood clearance/removal. Personally I prefer to stand as opposed to crawl around unless I hope to take a brief nap or sneak some more beer.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
fftoddster

Does the oil pan need to come off to replace the clutch/ remove flywheel to have surfaced?
fftoddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
TonyM

fftoddster: The clutch can be removed without removing the pan. The pan has to come off for the flywheel to be removed.

Thanks to all who responded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8363.jpg (80.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
fftoddster

Thumbs down Re: 1937 Ford Clutch Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
fftoddster: The clutch can be removed without removing the pan. The pan has to come off for the flywheel to be removed.

Thanks to all who responded.

Well that sucks... I would like to surface the flywheel but did not want to pull the pan.
fftoddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
scooder

Unless your a lucky fellow and the engine has the truck pan with the removable rear section, with this you can pull the flywheel and or your 11" clutch and leave the pan on. (you can't remove an 11" clutch with a stock car pan bolted on)

I'm a lucky fellow.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Unless your a lucky fellow and the engine has the truck pan with the removable rear section, with this you can pull the flywheel and or your 11" clutch and leave the pan on. (you can't remove an 11" clutch with a stock car pan bolted on)

I'm a lucky fellow.
Martin.
Yes, having a two piece truck oil pan is the exception where you do not need to remove the complete oil pan to remove the flywheel. I bought one to use on one of my cars, so maybe some day I might get lucky as well

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:01 AM   #13
scooder

John,
They are the best, I couldn't decide which clutch to use on my pickup, so with trans out and a jack under the pan. I swapped clutch/flywheel combos till I got the setup I liked. (I'm going for light pedal pressure do to useless knees) no dropping the pan, just swapped away.
After this pan came about Ford should have just made this type, a dropped the one piece chap.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
Joe/Ct

Fredb...I need to replace a water pump and also the clutch and pressure plate. I thought that I would do both jobs by pulling out the engine. I have not done that before, but you seem to have. Can you provide me a description of the process for doing that?

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #15
slowforty

Do yourself a favor and have a longer flex line made. It goes from the torque tube to the frame. It is by the transmission .Make it long enough to slide back the rear end and remove the transmission. This will save you from having to bleed the brakes.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote