Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
jim galli

Default Fan? Options for a '38 "60" with Evans Manifold

The Evans dual carb manifold has evenly placed carbs over the porting and no provision for generator / fan. Off-setting the gen is not very difficult. I think a Delco 6V Pos Grd. converted alternator would be an OK choice and a guy makes a nice looking set of brackets to accomplish that (sold on ebay but a bit pricey at buck n a quarter). But I'm wondering if others have tackled this problem and have some solutions for a fan mount. I'd rather not put a cheap plasticcy looking 12V hot rod electric fan on the car. Would like to retain the stock 6V elecs keep the car as stock as possible. So what was the fan solution if it was still 1955? 1938 82A V8 - 60 coupe.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: Fan? Options for a '38 "60" with Evans Manifold

Just a side note (you can tell I'm an electric radiator fan user) .... they do make electric radiator fans that use 6 volts. Compared to 12 volt fans, they draw more amperes to achieve the same rpm. Regardless of voltage, an alternator is a good combo with an elec fan.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
jim galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Just a side note (you can tell I'm an electric radiator fan user) .... they do make electric radiator fans that use 6 volts. Compared to 12 volt fans, they draw more amperes to achieve the same rpm. Regardless of voltage, an alternator is a good combo with an elec fan.
Thanks. Huge price difference between a 6V and a 12V one. That's kind of discouraging.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #4
Drbrown

As noted, I have 12 volt system. I have a 16 inch 16 amp Imperial 2800 cfm which comes mounted in a shroud that attaches direct to radiator. The fan has curved blades which are quieter than straight blade fans. Straight blades do move more air but noisier. Made by company in TX (good tech department). Bought it on-line at Advanced Auto site for around $65. Auto controller kit with relay was about $32. Works very well for me.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
Offy 220

Jim, I am interested in your question about fan options with using an Evans manifold. I have a 296" with a 3 - 97's on an Evans intake manifold in my 40 coupe. I built the engine back in the early 80's used the offset bracket on the left cylinder head to mount a GM alternator. I never liked the setup with the alternator so now I have purchased the 'shorty' Powertron generator/alternator set up. I used what was available at the time - a 14" electric fan mounted on the front of the radiator - and as noted its noisy. I will check out the suggestion that Drbrown stated and if you or anyone else has ideas I am open to other options.
Offy 220 is offline   Reply With Quote