Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
Neshkoro

Default Rebuilding front end

Im ordering parts to rebuild the sloppy steering of my 1930 Ford Tudor. It seems most of the slop or play is between the axle and the spindle. I'm ordering wheel bearings, spindle bushings and some brake parts. How often do the kingpins need to be replaced? Are they usually worn or is the wear mostly in the bushings?
Thanks for the answers!
Bill
Neshkoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Rebuilding front end

I have seen both. Perhaps disassemble and inspect everything, then order what you need. I just took mine apart today. New kingpins are needed (with bushings).

You may need a new thrust bearing. Also order some shims to shim the thrust bearing at the top out to the correct spot. Repro bearings are thinner than original. Plus you may have some wear to compensate for. The shims are 0.010" thick.

Put in the new felt grease seal pieces. They are cheap and help keep water and dirt out of the new bushings.

Getting the axle locking pins out was a pain. Other than that, very easy job.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

My kingpins were scored and needed to be replaced. After pressing in the bushings they will likely need to be reamed for a smooth fit over the kingpins. Do some homework about the proper shimming procedure to minimize vertical movement of the spindle. Not a difficult job but attention to detail is warranted. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:10 PM   #4
Neshkoro

Thanks for the information! I'll let you know how it turned out. Youtube videos also mentioned the locking pins and king pins were difficult to remove. I have a torch and a big hammer! Just kidding. I hate to pound the daylights out of that stuff.
Neshkoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:46 PM   #5
Jim/GA

You back the locking nut off of the pin a few threads. The pin will be tight in the axle. You hit that nut hard with a big hammer. You soak both ends of the pin with penetrating oil. You clean around the edges of the pin to help the oil penetrate. You hit it with the hammer again to help get the oil in. Keep hitting it. It will finally pop free.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:03 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
You back the locking nut off of the pin a few threads. The pin will be tight in the axle. You hit that nut hard with a big hammer. You soak both ends of the pin with penetrating oil. You clean around the edges of the pin to help the oil penetrate. You hit it with the hammer again to help get the oil in. Keep hitting it. It will finally pop free.
I agree with that. That's the way these cotter pins work - they wedge themselves in TIGHT.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
jack backer
BANNED

Air hammer, done
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #8
Fullraceflathead

Here’s a video I made when I did mine.
https://youtu.be/tKj5xRwAHfY?list=PL...gvqn60A_JPvFda

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:23 PM   #9
Marshall V. Daut

Good job on the video! Very clear and well-presented. As you pointed out during assembly, pushing the king pin down through the felt can be tricky. I have found a couple ways of reducing the frustration doing this.
First, coat the felt on both sides with chassis grease, followed by placing the metal retainer "cup" over one side. Place the greased washer on top of the lower spindle with the metal retainer cup on top, lining up the center of the felt with the bushing. The grease will help keep the felt and cup from sliding off when the spindle is slid over the axle end. I put a layer of grease on top of the metal cup because it rubs against the bottom of the axle as the wheels turn. Now slide the spindle over the axle, keeping the felt washer and cup between your fingers so that they don't slip off.
Secondly, to ensure that the felt washer is centered properly, stick your finger up from the bottom and push the felt from side to side while turning the spindle to help with the alignment. Because the now-compressed felt will hang over a little bit in its center hole, you will not be able to get it perfectly aligned. Now turn the king pin upside down and wiggle it upwards into the lower bushing, again while rotating the spindle back and forth to assist in aligning the felt as best you can. Push and pull and rotate the metal cup while doing this to find the "sweet spot" for the king pin's shaft to pass through the felt washer. Keep pushing upwards and rotating the king pin and spindle until you feel the king pin has cleared the felt washer. Now it will be easier to push the king pin down from the top because the felt washer has been centered and its I.D. compressed enough to permit the king pin to slide through it. Just be sure to keep the spindle from moving while the king pin is withdrawn from the bottom and then inserted from the top. Use your old worn pin pushed through the top into the upper bushing to keep the spindle reasonably straight during this procedure. Its shank will be thinner than the new bushing, so the old king pin should push in easily. Just push it deep enough into the axle to keep the spindle from slipping off the end of the axle.
You'll be surprised how easily the king pin can be pushed through the felt washer and its cup now. You have better leverage and side-to-side wiggle room coming up from the bottom with the king pin than from the top.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:30 PM   #10
Fullraceflathead

Great info!!!

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:18 AM   #11
Jim/GA

I do the same thing as Marshall, but I use the end of the old kingpin, coming up from the bottom, to get the felt and the metal cup properly centered on the hole in the spindle and to try to hold it centered when the spindle is slipped on to the end of the axle. Then work it around to get it in the sweet spot and insert the old kingpin a bit up into the axle.

Now use the new kingpin coming in from above to go down and push the old kingpin out. One holds the felt in place until the other is down there in position.

A light coat of grease on the new kingpin helps get it down through the new bushings and through the felt.

Dry fit the new kingpin through just the axle first, and clear out any little burrs or protrusions that make it hard for the pin to pass through the axle. Prior mechanics sometimes install the locking pin incorrectly and mess up the hole in the axle. You don't want those little imperfections preventing the new pin from installing and locking properly.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:19 AM   #12
Marshall V. Daut

Good idea to push the old pin on the bottom out with the new king pin, Jim. Either way will work, but your idea will help keep things in alignment better than the way I have been doing it for years.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:32 AM   #13
bruceincam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullraceflathead View Post
Here’s a video I made when I did mine.
https://youtu.be/tKj5xRwAHfY?list=PL...gvqn60A_JPvFda
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. It's really helpful to see all the detail of the unit operations.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote