Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #141
TonyM

Default Re: Mac's survey

You have to wonder why some members have had very good experiences with Mac's while others have not. I am beginning to think that it might depend on exactly what you are ordering. No one carries large inventories anymore in retail sales. How many times have you heard from retailers (of all characters) "...we don't have it in stock, but we can order it for you." Sometimes a customer will have to wait while the part is aquired from the distributor or manufacturer. Some people are more patient than others. I don't mind waiting seven days to get a part (seven days is the longest I have had to wait for a part from Mac's), for others, a seven day wait is intolerable.

It seems all of the overseas members who have chosen to comment have had positive experiences while all of the negative comments are from people here in the states. Maybe it's cultural. Some want it NOW, while others are patient and willing to wait. As for the parts, it seems that Joe's, Drakes, C&G and Mac's get their parts from the same source lots of times. I've ordered parts from Joe's and when they came, the parts were Drake parts. No big deal. Lot's of the complaints are about the cost of shipping, and I can sympathize. I purchased several small pieces that could have fitted in a large envelope, yet I was charged about $8 for shipping. Not thrilled about that, but the pieces arrived at my home in three days. That aint bad.

Last edited by TonyM; 04-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #142
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
All the parts I ordered were licensed Ford parts, so I have to presume that they are OK and to spec.

Licensed Ford parts only mean thay can use the name Ford and the Ford part number. It has NOTHING to do with quality!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #143
Donvito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
In an attempt to give the new owners a chance I think I will send them a link to this thread.
Darlene and the crew at Mac's are making an honest effort to keep customers happy.
Mike

Last edited by Donvito; 04-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #144
sconnors

I've had great luck with Snyder's and Tam's.
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #145
Tom Cavallaro

Wow...do you guys really know what you're talking about???? I was chastised for bad mouthing Snyder's for sending me the wrong parts! There are what... maybe two manufacturers making these parts??? The three of them buy from the same guys, tack there profits to the parts most used and sell them to us. I have bought parts from all three and all three have different prices for the same parts. My only problem with them is the time shipping and the cost of shipping and shipping me the parts I ordered according to the numbers on the order...not what you think I ordered! I have ordered parts from Snyder's and they were double bagged...the last bag was marked Mac's. Maybe once in awhile you might get a part not up to Ford specs...but none of it is NOS. My only problem is with the SERVICE...when I order a part...send me only the part with the number I order...that saves me time and them shipping...not asking much!!! So far...Bratton's is the only one that I have never had a problem with...but I still order from he who has the cheapest price and the fastest shipping..That's my only concern!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #146
Milton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I ordered differential parts from Mac's, bearings, seals, seal tool, gaskets and shims. The seal tool was out of stock and they contacted me whereupon I cancelled that part. At the same time I ordered a ring and pinion from Mike's for $399 instead of the $450 both Brattons and Snyder's wanted and alot less than the $670 Mac's wanted.

The orders were delivered a week after they were sent. GA & NY to CA.

The pinion I received did not have the .005" step so I did that, still a deal. The gasket kit that I got didn't give the thickness of the banjo gaskets so I sent an e-mail to joshg@macs that night and had the answer in the morning. Nothing wrong with that.

I screwed up a seal and turned to the local parts house for that and other odds 'n ends. I like to spread it around.

I shop, I compare, I buy.

P.S. Summit ships free BUT, they charge for handling.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #147
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I ordered differential parts from Mac's, bearings, seals, seal tool, gaskets and shims. The seal tool was out of stock and they contacted me whereupon I cancelled that part. At the same time I ordered a ring and pinion from Mike's for $399 instead of the $450 both Brattons and Snyder's wanted and alot less than the $670 Mac's wanted.

The orders were delivered a week after they were sent. GA & NY to CA.

The pinion I received did not have the .005" step so I did that, still a deal. The gasket kit that I got didn't give the thickness of the banjo gaskets so I sent an e-mail to joshg@macs that night and had the answer in the morning. Nothing wrong with that.

I screwed up a seal and turned to the local parts house for that and other odds 'n ends. I like to spread it around.

I shop, I compare, I buy.

P.S. Summit ships free BUT, they charge for handling.

when you shop price compare apples to apples. for 399 you got the chinese ring and pinion, much lower quality product than the usa made sets. thats one reason the step was not machined on the pinion. the cheap gasket sets are crappy also, i like the BEST brand gasket set. some of the suppliers dont even offer the offshore diff sets due to there quality so thats why you didnt see them on their sites.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #148
JBill

I once ordered a quart of straw-colored lacquer from Mac's. Somebody called just to make sure I wasn't intending it for wheels, in which case I would want enamel. I didn't want it for wheels, but I thought that was a nice thing for them to have done anyway.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #149
Fred K-OR

I think all vendors and customers have problems at times! 148 comments should cover the subject.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #150
Classiccanuck

I've driven there to pick up items and waited for someone to come out of the back to serve, one customer that was there before me had to call the 1-800 # to get someone out of the warehouse. Last time I went I was asked if I was done because their lunch break was in 10 min. You have to laugh!
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote