Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #221
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyModelA View Post
For as cold as it has been in ND this winter, I am glad I drained the radiator. Should I have drained the oil out as well? I miss working on Betsy, spring is right around the corner! I hope.
Last year spring never sprung til June.
It sure made for a short driving season.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #222
Terry,NJ

I'm still working on my coupe. Granted, it's in a garage, but the concrete is like ice and I'm working underneath. Modified and installed a new RH tailinght and the wiring. Then I made a new bracket and installed a new dual master cylinder in place of the single one I had. Today, I bled the brakes and found that my crossover channel is too weak and must be strengthened. It flexes when you step on the brakes hard, can't have that! A model A owner's work is never done! I can work about two hours and that's it! I'm chilled to the bone!
Terry

Quote:
For as cold as it has been in ND this winter, I am glad I drained the radiator. Should I have drained the oil out as well? I miss working on Betsy, spring is right around the corner! I hope.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #223
BetsyModelA

Terry, NJ
Mine are mechanical brakes, so no liquid to be concerned there. My Betsy is sleeping in a shed with the door blocked with a foot of snow in front of it. Spring can't come fast enough to suit me. I'm getting "cabin fever."
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #224
48fordnut

Good news all .Eng is in machine shop to be cleaned,read pressure washed, honed and valve job. Crank seems to be good, and will be polished.I missed out on the new in box hi comp head ,because of slowness in making a decision. I did get his new leakless water pump, and a Mallory dist. Now on to rings and checking clearanceson the crank.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #225
Tom F OHIO

Hi Betsy, I usually go out to the barn once or twice a month during the winter time to check out the car and turn the motor over by hand so it does not sit on one spot to long. Don't drain the oil as it will circulate around the internal parts when you turn it over.

This was a nice thread... I and probably others feel like we know you now. I know midgetracer does. Good luck and hope everything on your Model A works out well for you and your husband.

Tom.....
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #226
Terry,NJ

I know that cabin fever! This job should've been mopped up in a couple of days, But I just can't stay with it. So it's getting done almost one bolt at a time. Don't make the mistake of changing your mech. brakes to Hyd. I'm firmly convinced that there is a lot of propaganda about hyd. brakes being better, but if I had mech brakes, I wouldn't be going through any of this. and I'd be putting my efforts into my Town Sedan. May the weather gods look upon us with favor.
Terry

Quote:
Terry, NJ
Mine are mechanical brakes, so no liquid to be concerned there. My Betsy is sleeping in a shed with the door blocked with a foot of snow in front of it. Spring can't come fast enough to suit me. I'm getting "cabin fever."
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #227
BetsyModelA

Thanks Tom. Next day above zero, I'll take my scoop shovel and work my way into the shed to turn the crank a time or two. However, without any heat in this cold, I'm sure that anything metal (all) will be stiff and hard to move. I'll try. I took the battery out last fall, storing it in my basement on lathes of wood.

Yeah, Terry, I don't want to change anything from as original as I can stay with.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #228
Ed in Maine

I had an engine that was stuck from sitting too long inside. I tried all of the above. I finally got the engine turning this way but you have to be very careful. Have the hood open on one side so that you can see the fan. Take out all the plugs. I towed the car behind my tractor very slowly, barely moving. I pushed in the clutch, shifted into third gear and very slowly let out the clutch until I could hear the clutch starting to rub on the fly wheel, then I hit the starter. The combination of the clutch and the bump from the starter was enough to break it loose. When you see the fan turning, let the clutch out all the way and not before. Good luck. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #229
RonC

We started a coupe that sat since 1947 in a barn. The previous owner could not free the stuck engine despite towing it around in gear. We made a 50/50 Acetone-Auto Transmission fluid mix and filled the cylinders. After a few minutes we rocked the car back and forth in high gear with the plugs out until one by one each cylinder freed itself. We did have to replace the timing gear later as the gear was disintegrated. Today the engine runs great with no smoke.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #230
BetsyModelA

For Ed and Ron:
I love happy endings. Glad your recipe worked for each of you. Good to pass this along for others to try.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #231
BetsyModelA

Greetings from Betsy.
It has been a long time since Betsy was able to get going again, not with it this year. A big THANK YOU to Midgetracer, Betsy is up and going once more. Having sat all winter without so much as a start or a turnover, she wouldn't fire now this September. Midgetracer found the gas line plugged, got the flow going again, tuned the points, and pressed the starter. It is through Ford Barn I have Betsy home with me again and running. Now, I can tinker with her, and drive her often, which I will do. She needs a face-lift, but that will come slowly, cautiously, and with loving hands. Again, Midgetracer, thank you for sharing your expertise. My true appreciation to Ford Barn. I'll return as needed.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #232
700rpm

Glad to hear it. Don't feel like you can only come here if you need help. We like to hear stories of progress and fun too.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #233
BetsyModelA

Thank you, 700rpm. It is good to be back. Felt I needed to share my good fortune with all who were concerned about Betsy last year. I'll keep my entries short and positive in the days to come.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #234
Terry,NJ

Persistence overcomes resistance! Works every time!
Terry
Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #235
Brentwood Bob

kroil is sold by kano labs(post number 8). the atf/acetone is an alternative. Diesael is also good, and I wonder if oven cleaner will loosen rust.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #236
BetsyModelA

Terry,NJ Curious - looking at your pic, is that a sedan or a pickup?

Brentwood Bob glad you gave hints, I do have rust problems.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #237
Afordman31

I made the tool that Tom Wesenberg made and used it on my brothers Model A. He used the hand crank to put pressure on the crank and I used the tool that I made. We were able to free up the motor. ( he also had been soaking the cylinders for a couple of days before we tried it.) Afordman31
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #238
BetsyModelA

The "Tom Wesenberg tool" was a miracle working invention for Betsy. Glad it worked for you Afordman31. Such a relief to see and feel the motor turn over.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #239
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
The "Tom Wesenberg tool" was a miracle working invention for Betsy. Glad it worked for you Afordman31. Such a relief to see and feel the motor turn over.
I made my tool, but can't take credit for the idea. I saw it pictured on Jim Mason's website years ago, and thought it was a very needed tool.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #240
BetsyModelA

Appreciate your modesty, Tom Wesenberg. Between Midgetracer and Betsy, we refer to the miracle-working tool as "Tom's Tool."

Betsy is running nicely. Only problem, her muffler fell off. Ha! Didn't know she could backfire like that. Made her stop. I crawled under and shoved the two parts together to get home. Now I need to buy a new muffler. Or, do I?