Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #201
Admiral

Default Re: Tell me this noise isn't what I'm afraid it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Overfuelling means the mixture is too rich.

Mart.
Just curious, how does an overly rich mixture lead to bearing failure? I would think you'd want things a little fatter than too lean. Does a rich mixture lead to oil dilution and therefore hampered lubrication?
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #202
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Just curious, how does an overly rich mixture lead to bearing failure? I would think you'd want things a little fatter than too lean. Does a rich mixture lead to oil dilution and therefore hampered lubrication?
Exactly... gasoline is not a lubricant.Gasoline in the oil is a huge "no-no".
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #203
Ross F-1

From previous threads, I understand Henry has been running jets in the mid-to-high 40's, hardly "fat". If anything I'd worry about being lean. A fuel pump leaking into the crankcase is a more likely cause of thinned oil, but I haven't heard of any other evidence of that.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #204
Ronnie

Read post #1 he was driving it with the choke on.That will give you fuel wash.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #205
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by klicker View Post
I had my coupe shipped 1200 miles in an enclosed trailer for $800. Where did you get the $2-3,000 shipping cost? There's gotta be cheaper ways. Anyway, best of luck!
I agree. That seems like a lot to ship an engine. Good luck with this project/repair.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 09-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #206
Mart

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
He was running with the choke on while trying to diagnose the problem, which had already happened. The lean jets are used because of high altitude.

50,000 miles is a lot for a flatty, especially an old one. maybe it has just plain wore out, or some sort of accellerated wear was triggered by the recent teardown (20,000 miles ago) caused by the piston breaking up.

Hopefully careful and clean assembly with meticulous checking of parts refitted will enable it to be assembled up again and good for another 50,000.

I don't think a driver in the 50's would have expected to get 50,000 miles out of his 48 without getting an exchange motor fitted.

Lots of off road (unpaved) usage could have also brought on the accellerated failure, from dirt and dust ingress.

No-one knows what really happened, we're all guessing. but it is what it is. it's a motor that had new pistons fitted 20,000 miles ago and now is having the bottom end replaced.

if it were mine, once pressed back into service, I would (at my leisure) obtain a second motor, and have it gone through, and ready to fit. it may not be called on in an emergency, but i would be considering fitting it when the current motor has (lets say) another 30,000 on it. The pistons will have 50,000 on them.

These are old engines, they were never designed to last 250,000 miles without attention.

I acknowledge that some barners have got much higher mileages out of their motors. but in those cases the users and care taken to achieve those mileages are not typical.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #207
TomO

The concerns with the full floating rod bearings are:
The over-sized bearings are hard to find.
Machine shops do not always understand that the rods must be bored to resize them for correct clearance. You cannot just grind the cap to reduce clearance.
I would also balance the engine after resizing the rods.

8BA rods with the fixed bearing must be used with a crank that has an oil hole for each rod. The bearings are easier to find. There are still some NOS cranks available. The bearings are much easier to find. The cost is probably very close to reconditioning the 29A rods and sourcing the correct floating bearings. Henry is going to need at least 2 new rods.

Also Henry needs to know that you cannot continue to drive a car with loud noises coming from the engine or drive train. If he doesn't know how to determine what is causing the noise, he should take it to a mechanic. Even mechanics that only work on modern cars, can isolate the noise in our old cars.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #208
Ross F-1

Excellent summary, Mart!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #209
George/Maine

My 47 59a had a knock, if it were in the old days in the 50s I would have driven it till it quit. I found a 53 8rt and just replaced it. It looks to belong in there.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #210
Bruce in southern OH

I have been reading this awhile, is a rebuild in the works or would it not be quicker to purchase a engine from Fordbarner???? Also, nice engine on auctions and evil-bay, eBay item number:191332230456, have no interest in the seller, just looking to get him up and running,
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #211
Old Henry

Rebuild is underway.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #212
Al in MN

Waiting to hear any news on the rebuild,sure hope it all goes well...
My 48 just had a coil fail no fun but the replacement coil makes like a new car out of it as it now starts on the first turn.........
Al
Al in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #213
Old Henry

Got the new clutch from Fort Wayne clutch and the new oil pump from Carpenter. Machine shop has put it off another week. Meanwhile, Paul replaced one worn out kingpin.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #214
Old Henry

In the mean time, Pepe and I have been doing our road trips on my favorite motorcycle. OK, it's my ONLY motorcycle. OK, maybe you wouldn't actually call it a motorcycle. It's a Honda CT70 trail bike replica made in China but with a larger 90 CC engine. (Actually, a glorified Tote Goat, if you remember them.) I affectionately call it my "Chinese Junk" (and so it is). Lights went out on our last trip Thursday and, after several hours trying to fix them yesterday, I couldn't fix them so put the thing back into storage for some future day. I'll just hold my breath now for Old Henry to get us back "On the Road Again".

This picture from our last road trip Thursday that finished the thing off. OK, so I'm 10 lbs over its weight limit. Good thing I put heavier springs on the back.

Yeah, how proud we were (Pepe and me) to be leading the expedition including my sister on her 150 scooter, my daughter on her 175 trail bike, and my son and his girlfriend on his 300 road bike.

Made it to the top of Alpine Loop. Saw some beautiful yellow quaking aspens. Had to pull over a lot to let the faster cars go by.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #215
Andy

Make sure they pull the plugs in the oil galley.The rear one is special. Dont get them mixed up. Pull the fuel pump bushing so the line can be rodded out. I will send you my driver if the machine shop does not have one. This is imperative due to the trash circulating in the oil. Shim the front relief so the pump relief is controling. I would sure put in the late crank and rods. I think most people don't know how to set up the full floating bearings. You will have better oil pressure with the late stuff.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote